Centrepin casting

tiddlertamer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone could do a demonstration at one of the winter fish-ins later in the season (Test or Itchen)? (Although if I'm at the test I'll probably be using a quivertip :rolleyes: )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks to the constant comments made by Anglers Net aficionados who promote the use of centrepins, I'm about to buy one.

(Well actually my gorgeous fiancé has volunteered to buy me a Hardys 4" model for my birthday which is probably too much information for the forum but also a rather fine and dandy thing to do!) :D

Anyway - to my question.

What is the best casting technique to adopt? The Wallis cast, the loop cast, the double loop cast, the side cast, the Nottingham cast or any other cast you may care to mention.

Some casts may be good in some situations such as when room is limited and others when a longer cast is needed.

Nonetheless is there one cast which every centrepin user should master.

I've only used a borrowed centrepin once and trotting/float control with it was a dream. But to cast to a favourite swim along far bank cover on a river 15/20 yards wide, I found it impossible.

What is your favourite centrepin cast everyone and why? Oh, and how do you actually do it!?

If you are only trooting smallish rivers you will get away with just pulling a loop or two. But the wallis cast is worth learning. It will take you a little time to master but well worth it.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I have used the centrepin all my life, but, because I fish with the line coming off the 'wrong' way, (the top of the reel), I have never mastered the Wallis cast.

Is it possible to do with the line coming off this way?

It's never hampered me, and I have got so used to casting the loop method that it has become second nature, even at a reasonable distance. I used to often leger with the 'pin 6-7 rod lengths out, without a problem.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

There is or was a fairly informative video of the wallis cast on the Barbel Fishing World website it had commenty as well if i remember correctly.

I'm struggling to find a link to either a video that isn't broken or just some words and pictures explaining the wallis cast.

Does anybody else think a certain cast is best for a beginner or does the Wallis knock spots off the opposition?

D-Day looms tomorrow for the christening of my centrepin... Will it be much ado about nothing or the start of something special... any tips you may have about its use other than just casting techniques will gladly be devoured by me.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

This link from Chris works for me.

I'm getting the message that this video is no longer available but maybe that is down to some of the filters and restrictions on downloading set by my lovely but somewhat over zealous IT team where I work.

Which means it is time to head off home and boot up my laptop...

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

TT when you go just start with pulling one loop of with your left hand (I presume you are right handed) and cast that out.Dead easy not the mystical skill it first seems! Then try two loops (some always draw the loops from above the but ring but if your rod hasnt got the extra rings then its ok to start with a loop from between the reel and butt ring.Once youve got used to casting with loops you can then try pulling on the loops to get the pin turning (and therefore paying out line) as you cast.Keep at it and you will soon be up to 20m.

Truth be known though the only time I "cast" is when using my pin on stillwaters! I can fish up to around 30m with my basterdised Wallis cast but when trotting on rivers casting is just not needed as its best to simply lay the tackle on the water.

Good luck and have fun.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

..when trotting on rivers casting is just not needed as its best to simply lay the tackle on the water.

Good luck and have fun.

If I want to fish fifteen yards out with my pin I wade twelve and cast three! I'm sure it's an admirable skill to Wallace cast twenty yards on a stillwater but it sort of defeats the object of using the best tool for the job.