Wiping slimy hands - a question for female anglers

The Flying Tench

When Britain was great, so the historians tell us, the preferred way of wiping your hands after a meal was on your breeches. Now it so happens that is exactly what I do when I get fish slime on my hands. There just isn't time to mess about in your bag to find a rag. Or is there? What do you do? What, in particular, do female anglers do? Is this at least one area where we retain our greatness, or have we 'gone to the dogs' of obsessional bourgeois cleanliness as in other areas of our lives?

john clarke

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit more civilized than you mate, I rinse the slime off in the lake, then wipe my hands dry on my trousers :yeah:

Wet long grass is also surprising effective at cleaning slime off your hands!

Mat

Mat

Always have a towel or two with me, saves getting too much slime, ground bait and gunk on my rod, reel and the rest of my gear. If I'm catching small fish and not roving, I have a bait container with water in at my side. This is to wet my hands before touching the fish, and to rinse my hands after catching one. Putting your hands into a pile of maggots when they're covered in slime is not recommended.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer ii think the container of water is a good idea,I have a pack of wet wipes on my bait table and always have antisepic hand gell... and a towel cliped to the edge of the bait table. :sun:

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

years ago i used to have a old pair of fishing jeans with bar towels sown onto the upper front leg area and across the bum for whiping my hands on,these days i have a EA towel which i pin to a belt loop on my pants & a wet flanel or rag in a tub of water i carry them in my landing net when roving from swim to swim and give them a dunk in the margins to wet the rag and get some water in the tub ( 2pt bait tub) use the wet cloth/rag to whipe my hands and the water to wince or wash things/wet g/b with.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I thought that was what trousers are for?

Ive given up trying to use a towel as I just cant break the instinctive knee jerk reaction of the hands sliding down the trousers as I reach for the towel!! :doh:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ive given up trying to use a towel as I just cant break the instinctive knee jerk reaction of the hands sliding down the trousers as I reach for the towel!! :doh:

In fact, you can always spot the swim that Budgie 'Kleenex' Burgess was fishing the night before... :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

For my next fishing trip I was planning on buying a carpenters apron - the kind with pockets at the front, so if I was walking/standing I could save myself returning to the tackle box every five minutes for bait or whatever and wipe my hands on that.

I thought eels were bad but after landing my first Bream last week I looked like I was covered in fish 'snot'.

Tony

Tony

I have always kept a damp tea towel under my seat,the front of my trousers are always covered when i get home,funny that. :)

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.