1 st ever fish?

markp

I had a couple of those when I was a nipper. A fluorescent green one and a black one with red cosmetics. They came in plastic carry-cases with some rudimentary kit. I remember the excitement of opening up all of the bits and pieces (I was about 7). I never caught much on them as they were, but eventually was bought a 12' Daiwa Delta float rod which I really learnt to fish with. The solid glass rods ended up being treated as donkey tops and made into flick-tips for poles. I caught a lot more fish on them that way!

Talking of old rods. Did any one have a Daiwa Combination Rod. My brother got one for Xmas in 1977? It made in to a 6ft boat rod, 8ft pier rod, 9ft fly rod, 10ft leger rod and a 12ft float rod. It was hollow glass (maroon) and came in about 7 pieces. Is there anything like it now? I got a 12ft Intrepid Deluxe Float rod that christmas. It was smashed by a tench or carp at the top of the second section. Spliced it back together and swapped it for an Abu 506!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody else has mentioned my first fish which was a Miller's Thumb (aka Bullhead or "Liggie" down yer in Zuzzex) - caught some by hand, some more by handline, then graduated to a bush pole and line. I was about six years old (1940).

My second species caught was a Stone Loach - a monster some twice the size of the Liggies.

First sea fish was a dab on a cuttyhunk handline.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The very first fish was a roach of around 2" caught out of the cannal at Bathhampton around 67/68,took me several years to get that far! I didnt think it really counted though as I didnt see a bite just wound in and it was on!

First one I really count is a tench of around 1 1/2lb caught from the "Diving Board" swim at Bitterwell lake not long after!

Had a couple of perch (lost a good one) and a roach as well.Was the day I discovered the "secret" after watching a guy catch loads just a bit away from me.Never looked back.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

So ok what was every bodys 1st ever fish then i hold my hands up to the humble Gudgeon {still love em today}

And me from the River Ouse many moons ago but it stills feels like yesterday.

Ian Flynn

My first was a Perch from an overcrowded little pool with a stream running through it.My older cousin caught over a hundred that day,myself 23.There were 3 carp lived under the bridge,all the kids tried but no one ever caught one,dangling a worm over the bridge was the only method ever used.

Twenty years later my son wants to try fishing.So off we go,the place has never changed,not a bit,same old tree still standing there,if I could climb these days I bet my name is still carved in the fork up ahieght!Over the bridge,second strutt look over,no carp... hmmm..

Well here`s away it`s the hordes of 2oz perch were here for.Plop..... worm followed by one of those bob type floats hit the water.We sit ..wait ..nothing ..they`ve gone,hours and not a bite,then bob bob the young `un`s float bobs down,then down again.Somethings givin him a good tug,diving for the bottom could be a canny perch on..then up it comes writhing to the surface....An Eel,not a bloody great Eel but a foot long and givin it`s all.Oh man,that Eel just like my first Perch what an achievment. Hooked.

Mine was rudd and i was 10, it was from the farm by the old Priory at Bradwell on Sea, i spent many school holiday there as my grandparents had a caravan along the road from it.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Hi Kempo,

I am very much in India.

Rustam

thought you might be, nice fishing over there eh, i was thinking about a holiday there and your site has pointed me in the right direction.

well done.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Minnow, single maggot on a 16 hook, tin reel and 5' fibreglass rod with red plastic handle, on the Wey at Guildford in 1963.