17lb 15oz eel

Brian Crawford

Hmmm doesn't seem strange to me, you're examples are very blurred in terms of specializing. Lets say you're Carping, usual thing 15lb line etc & you land a huge Roach or perhaps Chub. Now I would be excited, no doubts about that, but how could you not wish you'd caught them on 'proper tactics' it must surely devalue the capture.

What about you're record Dace, if you caught it on 12lb line & a size 8 when Barbel fishing?

Of course it doesn't alter the fact that the fish was caught by recognised means, but it must reduce the sense of personal achievement due to it being captured on systems completely beyond the species need. Unfortunately it becomes a fluke capture, enjoyable but devalued on a personal level.

The same could be said about targeting 15lb pike using what amounts to a 30lb class boat rod and 80lb braid but the tackle argument doesn't really hold up with big eels because the appropriate gear to catch them on would be pretty much the same as that used to target carp.

Edit. I should add that I'm in no way disparridging the fish or the angler. Just the strange snobbishness that seems to be creeping into angling.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same could be said about targeting 15lb pike using what amounts to a 30lb class boat rod and 80lb braid but the tackle argument doesn't really hold up with big eels because the appropriate gear to catch them on would be pretty much the same as that used to target carp.

Edit. I should add that I'm in no way disparridging the fish or the angler. Just the strange snobbishness that seems to be creeping into angling.

Absolutely! what pleasure or satisfaction could there be targetting double figure Pike with such gear, the essence of a devalued capture.

Fair point about the Eel tackle, though I would fish a little lighter than standard Carp tackle & the end rigs would be a lot different!

Quite agree with the snobbishness, though it's not creeping in it's already there. Need to be careful that we don't apply it in the wrong places though.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Impressive eel. Love to be able to see one up close and personal some day - I envy you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President