Would you consider a sea angling licence now?

Pugs

Why do trawlers have to come so close to the shore?

Especially when they can see you fishing. They can travel around to find the fish but shore anglers cannot.

It is a bit unfair for them to do that IMO

It does spoil the fishing for shore anglers.

Very hard to control a ban of that scale, but they should be more considerate.

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't need to Chesters.

All laws are broken by a small proportion of people.

The majority comply whether they fear enforcement or not.

Catching a small proportion of the small proportion of law breakers and punishing them keeps even more people lawful.

The Freshwater Licence brings in £12 million, and a little over £2 million is spent on administration and enforcement.

Far, far more miles of riverbank than coast (and they have to enforce both sides!), then there's lakes, ponds, gravel pits, canals ........... mostly heavily covered in thick vegetation and anglers wearing camo, in hard to get to places, often fenced off, anglers camping out nights, fishing from boats.....

Enforcing the coast would be a doddle compared to that, miles of open beaches, piers etc.

There may be problems with what any future package that includes a licensing proposal has to offer, but enforcement won't be a major concern.

it wasent so much the licence but the bag limit i was really reffering to ,its far easier to hide dead fish than live anglers :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Lets face it an angling licenses is on its way. Its just a matter of when and how they can introduce it cost effectively. It has nothing to do with the bmp proposals...its been around for ages and there is nothing we can do as anglers to stop it. All we can do is fight it when it becomes fact.

Firearms have been licensened for a long time but as a vote winner the gov decided to ban handguns. Now those people have a right to say "what did we get for our money", as opposed to asking "what will we get for our money". If anyone thinks that by handing over 30 quid in licenses money will catch them more fish due to massive changes in policy I would think again.

The coarse guys have been licensed for years but it its been around so long they just accept it for what it is...another annual tax. An indivdual angler gets little for it but in the long term it has benifitted them over many years.

When (and not if) a sea license comes into force you can rest assured that the government will not care if you buy one or not...they will just ensure that along with the introduction of the license they will alter legislation to ensure that heafty fines can be imposed just as they have to the coarse anglers as a deterrent to not buying one. Its a win win situation. I have to say that in over thirty years as a coarse angler I have been asked for my license twice and both times I have had one. Over the same period i can only say that we had a free stoocking level survey carried out by the EA on a syndicate pond I ran. A bad return in my books but I will continue to buy a coarse license for the simple reason that its law.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Lets face it an angling licenses is on its way. Its just a matter of when and how they can introduce it cost effectively. It has nothing to do with the bmp proposals...its been around for ages and there is nothing we can do as anglers to stop it. All we can do is fight it when it becomes fact.

When (and not if) a sea license comes into force you can rest assured that the government will not care if you buy one or not...they will just ensure that along with the introduction of the license they will alter legislation to ensure that heafty fines can be imposed just as they have to the coarse anglers as a deterrent to not buying one. Its a win win situation. ......................

Dave

But will it really change anything - in 2004-2005 the Scottish Fisheries Protection Agency dealt with 1435 infringements .This included 999 cases of erroneous log book entries, ALL of which were given written warnings, from the remainder around 130 were submitted for prosecution and going by past figures about 100 will be fined (lfigures for 2005-2006 not yet out).

According to the UK Audit Office " ...a sample of fines shows that typically a fine will be about 1.7 times the value of the infringement .. " .

I wonder what the permissible bycatch of fish would be whilst I'm dropping a line for crabs :-)

Guest challenge
Hi Leon

Having read these posts on this subject it is clear to me that anglers want so much for nothing, impression is that you guys are above conservation, your veiw, is that it only applies to commercials, you blame them for all your ills.

You say that there is not much fish close to the shore for you to catch. This may be the case, how do we know that all of the milloins off sea anglers have not fished out the stocks of fish that existed close to the shore. After all charter boats are always fishing out wrecks. WHY should anglers not have conservation measures applied to them just like the commercials have. YOU can not point the finger at commercials and expect them not to come back with a counter.

You have made my mind up that all angling should be in fairness, be brought in to line with conservation the same as the commercials. Bag limits and licences and fees would help improve your allegded pleasure/sport. Bag limits would create more fish and make the position of illeagal netsmen and shore anglers that sell there catch untenable which will also make more fish. The licence fees would fund the sfc's to enforce the bag limits. After all the presidant is set with fresh water anglers who pay a licence fee for a catch and release situation. You say you are sportsmen then why can you not accept bag limits so as to conserve your supposed sport and for the betterment of it.

kind regards

steve

Hello Steve as I have said before I meet thousands of anglers over our season and have yet to meet one who wants a bag limit never mind to have to pay a tax for carrying and using a rod.

I hope that you do not think that all anglers or the charter boats that take recreational anglers out blame commercial fishermen for the demise of recreational fishing.

Some of our inshore wrecks receive a lot of attention from anglers in a year, and that is why we steam thousands of miles every year so we can manage our fishery to the best of our ability.

We don’t need putting in line thank you very much.

Regards.

A while ago someone mentioned that influencial people read this forum from time to time. I assumed they mean employees of Defra and other such people. I hope that those people dont assume that what is said in here represents sea angling as a whole. If you want to know about angling in the north east visit one of the regional forums like angling north east or wsf.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

http://s11.invisionfree.com/Angling_North_...dex.php?act=idx

Have a look how often the word bass and 40 cm gets mentioned in those places, and listen to who they blaim for the state of our fish stocks. This forum is the biggest in the uk (Im basing that on my own opinion), it has anglers from around the uk and even other parts of the world, however the majority here are from the south and are keen bass anglers. I do not seek to detract from that in any way, its just how it is, only to point out that perhaps it's not truely representative of all the uk.. I will add that this is only my opinion and there will surely be those who disagree.

The reason I post this is I continually see people posting the word we when they should really be saying something like "what is true of my area", "or what happens around here".

Guest challenge

People come fishing with us from all over the country, Bournemouth to Blyth, stone haven to Southampton. We get anglers from Northern Ireland. All are here to catch fish. Fish they want to take home and eat. Is it not the fishery that we practice that could be the issue here and not the people that use it?

I'll support it once I'm shown what the money is needed for. Sea fisheries are natural. They don't need management. Industrial fishing needs managing to prevent it from destroying natural resources. The cost of managing the industrial fishing should be borne by the fishing industry. The idea that the licence should exist to buy RSA influence, or concessions in the management of commercial fishing is a sick joke. The concept stinks of corruption.