What purpose do front indicators serve?

Rusty

A thread on a petrol head forum got me thinking about this. Driving would be safer if cars weren't fitted with them, what do you think?

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Don`t use mine keepem guessing

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Would be nice if there was three ,a center one which would indicate you were going ahead at roundabouts etc

Some cars are very badly designed and i guess tested in daylight ,some indicators are to near the headlamps so when they are on you hardly see the indicator and some are stupidly within the brake light which when braking is brighter than the indicator

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think that whoever thought that one up is a numpty.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Ok the school of thought is a bit left field but bear with me.

Flashing front indicators are only ever seen when a car is travelling towards you, they’re an indication of what the driver might do and for that reason the Highway Code says that you should always wait for an indicated manoeuvre to be completed before starting your own. But people don’t wait, they take it for granted that a car indicating to turn left (for example) while they’re waiting at T junction will do just that and they start to pull out before it’s safe.

The above scenario is what happened to a person on another forum, he was waiting at a junction, a car coming from his right was indicating to turn left it slowed and he pulled out. The other driver changed her mind because it was the wrong turning and they collided. She freely acknowledges this but his insurance company are quoting the Highway Code and the blame will lie with him.

So, in the same scenario what would have happened if cars didn’t have front indicators? Matey boy would have had no choice but to wait until the car coming from his right had either turned left or carried on past him, he couldn’t risk pulling out because he doesn’t know what the other driver is going to do. There are other situations (for pedestrians also) where not knowing what an oncoming car is going to do will make you wait until he does it…..as per the HC.

That’s the logic….I’ve a feeling in might be a minority opinion.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back