Fewer crayfish?

Anderoo

You'd think it might be a worthwhile line of research to find a way to eradicate the blighters...

C.

Trouble is will the EA allow you to use it if a way was found ,would have to be extremely selective in the billion to one chance a native was killed and the EA fined the pants off you

Do otters eat them ? Not sure how that would go down LOL

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Do otters eat them ?

Almost certainly. Otters love crabs. When I was doing some fieldwork in the Shetlands I camped on the beach at Belmont and spent many hours watching the otters fishing for shore crabs.

...dunno about anyone else, but I eat all the Signal Crayfish I catch.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond,

I would not eat anything out of the Lea, with the amount of sewerage works along its length, I mind a size 9 does the trick, terrible things !!

Hopefully they will find something like the Mixy that kept down the numbers of Rabbits, for Signal Crayfish.

Bob

Edited by BobH

We all know that you need a licence to use a trap.

Is a drop net a trap?

I don't think it is - certainly no more so than a baited landing net in the margins is a trap.

As I have been told that a local water contains beasties, I've just ordered half a dozen drop nets for seventeen quid including the delivery charge which seems perfectly reasonable.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I dont think the trap is kmportant just that the EA know your trapping ,i use brown clanshell type things but i have seen commercial ones that are netting ones on hoops so they fold.(similar to a lobsterpot)

The licencies appear to be easy to get (i trap on behalf of the club and my traps have ID lables leading to the applicable licence)

So traps easy ,licence easy but ofcourse you need permission from the owner of the crayfish the owner of the pond or permission from to put your trap in a river from the riparian owner

The difficulty is the old bike wheel and netting isnt so good with signals one fright and they are away like lightening so an enclosed trap is far better

Mine are similar to this (mine are brown and sort of oval rather than rounded) they have lead in them so they land correctly on the bottom ,crays are lazy if they can pull the bait through the mesh they will so bait needs to be in a container rather than loose if possible forcing the crays to go into the trap rather than sit outside picking off bits through the mesh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swedish-Crayfish-Trap-Otter-Friendly-UK-Legal-/271747355267?pt=UK_BOI_Packing_Postal_Supplies_Labels_LE&hash=item3f45679283

Another problem is hiding them often i have lost one ,found one destroyed or had phone calls telling me poachers are trapping ,ofcourse the members do what they think is right but finding traps on the bank complete with corpses on a hot day isnt good for public eyes (only one bank is fenced ,one end is a bridlepath and the other side is open to a golf course),so hide the buggers well if its going to be used overnight (when most crays get out and about in shallow water)

Mine came with nylon rope with a float which ofcourse stood out from a distance i replaced it with electric fence tape which sinks but unfortunately is white but harder to see in action

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Watching catch reports on here, particularly those with photo's, makes it easy to believe that fishing further south is a totally different pastime from what happens a bit further north ... you seem to have access to way more fish - and of a much bigger size - particularly on the rivers.

But - being thankful for small mercies - I've NEVER yet seen a single example of a Signal Crayfish up here - and our native crayfish are still quite easy to find, and abundant, if you know where to look.

Unfortunately, I realise it may be no more than a matter of time though - occasional reports filter through that there MAY be Signals in waters up here, though so far they have all been at least 30 miles north of here, apparently transported there, rather than making their own way cross-country, as the nearest populations south of here are still quite distant.