Who's closest to the sea?

Bob on Stronsay

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Mike If you are closer than me in fifty years that would mean I would be fishing from my upstairs windows instead of my front door. In fact it would mean Shamrock lea would be its own man made island. I could just fish on the drop and forget casting. I could could use my garage as a boat shed and just row straight in.

Hello Boat Skipper, whats your name, what boat? what island?

We don't have any rivers and that pic was a very high tide (I am normally 37ft from high water). The highest tide I remember was 18 years ago when it lapped onto the road (Very low pressure on a high spring tide) so I would have only been 18 ft from high water. I do listen to the odd report of global warming for obvious reasons but until I need sandbags I am not letting it get me down.

Bob

Hi Boat Skipper

As Bob says, What name and what boat? I take it from Paula's comment you are in Stromness.

Looks like we are forming an AN Orkney chapter :D

I am in Holm and I work for the Harbours board in the "Pagoda" at Scapa. I work shifts hence the handle :rolleyes:

A boat charter is looking likely for the new year then?

Cheers

Scapa (Martyn)

Bob,

Is there any fish at that bit at your front door???? Lucky sods :D God knows how many miles im away from the sea...

Youse are a lucky lot living at the orkneys... Love the place and cant wait to get back up for another holliday :)

Boiat skipper, Do you operate that new charter from stromness??? I been on the "welcome home" and had superb catches on all days i was out, Might need to give you a shout next time im up :)

Shaun

Tight Lines

Shaun

Bob

What are the down sides with living up there. I live in the South East and every year have to get up to the West Coast of Scotland just to get away from all these people. We allways get a cottage on the shore somewhere miles from other people, whith stunning views chosen after hours on the net (thats how I came accross this site). When I am up there I am as happy as can be just doing simple things and dont want to go home. I often look at the estate agents and think about selling up and heading North. I am however realistic enough to know that at 3 in the afternoon in December when its black outside that my views might be different. Whats it realy like?

A Worm On One End........

I moved up here at about 12 hours notice!

That was just over 2 years ago.

We don't seem to notice the daylight difference in winter, but it is certainly noticeable in summer.... don't let the kids say 'I'll go to bed when it's dark!' :)

If you go to the Islands, you can get cut off by bad weather once in a while, but not usually more than a day or two at the most.

If you stay on the mainland where we are, you laugh at people further south about Inverness when they have all the snow and can't get out of town because we have none.

It is a rare dare when there is no wind at all.

Sunrises/sunsets are stunning.

People are great.

Accent up here and on Orkney is very easy to get used to and almost 'musical'.

Not a great deal of 'mainstream' shops, but who needs to shopping when you have the internet.

Wherever you are the views are amazing.

I think that about sums it up for me anyway.

In other words...

WHAT DOWN SIDE?

Posted Image

Unfortunately I don't live here, but do stay for abot 6 weeks a year, in one of the 106 flats that make up the complex.

Mullet in the harbour.

Bass off rocks and beach.

Pollack everywhere.

Jeff

Big Jeff, not working again