Rip off britain...

gonefishing

chesters1:

if there was choice then i could get tesco crisps in sainsburies     :mad:   the only choice is what shop you go to NOT the things they sell    :(
Try Lidl and Aldi. You don't pay for brand advertising or customer service, so most things are a fraction of the price in Sainsbury's. There is a choice for most things if you are prepared to look, and are prepared to pay for import costs - which is often what increases the costs over here. It works both ways - many European items considered "classy" in the USA are shockingly expensive. If you want convenience - i.e. the things you want, available locally - you usually have to pay for it. The only problem is, if you can't travel far or look around you are rather stitched up. And by the way, most "supermarket brand" food items are made by the same company, who usually make their own brands too. The only supermarket I know of to have their own factory is Morrisons.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work for a diary company - we packed identical product into branded wrappings as well as 'own label' wrappings for most of the supermarkets (including Morrisons). The only difference was price - almost twice as much for the branded product.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

we tried lidl when they first opened here in farnham and they were cheap but now the others have their "economy" brands lidls are more expensive in a lot of their goods ,we do the circuit of the stores and get the best of all of them and you dont have to search for the ingredients in english amoungst the collection of tongues on the lidl versions .

i was talking to a couple of german tourists in our local lidl and they were shocked at the high prices over here in identicle products they buy in germany, so it may be cheap but were still being ripped off :mad:

if you think of it food just lies about in fields ,hangs on trees and is inside animals ,why does it cost much anyway

when the market in guildford was working pigs were selling for £3 each and sheep as low as 60p each was the prices in the shops the same NA still £`s a kilo ,someone is profiteering :mad: and it isnt the farmer ,the only time we could afford beef was when the population stopped buying it in the scares ,we filled the freezer they were almost giving it away

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

quote:

I used to work for a diary company - we packed identical product into branded wrappings as well as 'own label' wrappings for most of the supermarkets (including Morrisons). The only difference was price - almost twice as much for the branded product.
your dead right about that we bought a bit of plastic wrapped cheese in a shop one side had the shops lable and on the other side one from sainsbury and as you said the latter was far more expensive :( we always buy the cheap products there all the same from the same source

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Nathan - if 'over there' is over here then yes/no/sorta/maybe/probably.

If you ask about coarse fishing gear you will get blank stares since we don't classify fish into game and coarse.

We do have game fish (much broader classification than in the UK) and we have rough fish. Pike and perch are game fish here along with about half dozen species you don't have. Carp, catfish, burbot, chub sturgeon are rough fish along with quite a few other species the UK does not have.

With the exception of poles and some specialized bits, you can find anything here you can in the UK.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You know what the 'mark ups' are when much of the American and Japanese tackle is sold off for below half price at the end of each year to make way for the 'new, updated' versions of the same products!

Cost of a Lexus SC430 in UK £52k

Cost in Japan £35k!