Poisonous Spiders Spreading in the UK

Leon Roskilly

UV lamps show them up a treat ,there was an interesting prog about unusual critters a few years ago.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UV lamps show them up a treat ,there was an interesting prog about unusual critters a few years ago.

They are found scuttleing aroud the walls of Chatam Dockyard !

I heard once that every spiecies of uk sider has the Neccassery dentures to inflict a bite on a human, just most choose not to.

Centipedes the big southen Europian ones Bite, Hurt like you Know what and make you ill, Bl00dy horrible things. Brr Yuk! :yucky:

On the British Musium webb site they show a spider called Bruennichi's Argiope some one on here posted a picture of it recently asking what it was as they had found one.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I grew up with poisonous spiders, but none so poisonous as an indigenous spider that goes by the name of Daddy-Long-legs or Cranefly (which cannot penetrate human skin - Thank God!!!) but we have a lot of nasties (more than you realise!) because they are a by product of all the tropical fruits we import.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Klein, I can't tell whether you're having a laugh or not, but the crane fly isn't a spider (it's a fly) and it isn't venomous at all. There are two other animals often called daddy long legs, the harvestman "spider" (which isn't a spider either, though it is an arachnid) and true spiders of the Pholcus genus. Pholcus spiders are venomous, but their venom has never been tested on mammals, so we don't know how toxic it is.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/longlegs.htm

I grew up with poisonous spiders, but none so poisonous as an indigenous spider that goes by the name of Daddy-Long-legs or Cranefly (which cannot penetrate human skin - Thank God!!!) but we have a lot of nasties (more than you realise!) because they are a by product of all the tropical fruits we import.

Sorry to dissapoint mate but this is just an old-wives tail, an urban myth.

You can chech it out on Snopes too.

I heard once that every spiecies of uk sider has the Neccassery dentures to inflict a bite on a human, just most choose not to.

This too is an urban myth, a load of old ******,

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The 'False Widow ' spiders are a lot more widespread than the Telegraph article suggests.

I first noticed them in my workshop (South Essex, UK) about 5 years ago, tiny things with very intricate markings - didn't think too much about it as thought it was just another spider species that I hadn't noticed before.

Recently I decided to have a good clear out in the Workshop & found that there is now a thriving colony of these things, some up to about 10-11mm body length - and with a very capable set of fangs!

As they looked to be exactly the same shape as the 'Black Widow' and Ozzie 'Red Back' Spider I spent some time on the internet trying to identify them - came to the tentative conclusion that they were indeed 'False Widows' and capable of giving a nasty bite, so now, when I see 'em - I zap 'em.

I've also just about exterminated all those 'alien' Daddy Long Legs Spiders - the one with the long narrow body, not the normal, nice English one with the round body - haven't seen any of those in years.

I also killed another Spider in the house a couple of years ago, quite large, about 12mm body length - 30mm overall length, large fangs that could easily pierce skin - Brown, blotchy colouration and completely hairless. (definitely NOT a Wolf Spider) Nasty looking beggar that I couldn't identify but it had some of the characteristics of one or two very nasty American Spiders - zapped it cos' there were kids sleeping in the house but I wish I'd got a picture of it first.

In case anyone thinks I have a phobia about spiders I should point at that I not only tolerate, but positively enjoy, seeing the Large Common House Spiders & the occasional Wolf Spider, indoors & in the Workshop.

I have also had a Woodlouse Spider in the Workshop, which was released after I'd identified it & taken one or two pictures.

It's only the bloody aliens I can't stand............

Cheers

Barry

Barry

I've also just about exterminated all those 'alien' Daddy Long Legs Spiders - the one with the long narrow body, not the normal, nice English one with the round body - haven't seen any of those in years.

What a lot of bairns you lot are, scared of creepy crawlies!. My flat in France is full of false black widow spiders. They love to hide in the old oak rafters and beams in the bedrooms upstairs. I have had the flat for six years now and they have never bitten any one.

The Daddy long leg spider that you like to stamp on is totally harmless pholcid spider, and 100% British to boot. Only dangerous if you are another spider. The daddy long legs spider with the 'round body' is not a true spider it is a harvestman

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have a set of scars on by shoulder from 1980 that my doctor believed were caused by spider bites I received in the UK.

On the same subject, a spider we definitely do not want here is the Brown Recluse spider. Apparently we don't understand the action of it's toxin and it can sometimes be very, vey bad. See this rather GORY link (you have been warned).

There is a apparently a population of Black widows thought to be around Poole port.

Also, the Wolf spider can inflict a painful bite along with Segestria florentina which is a large 6 eyed spider that can be found in walls around the south of England (got a lot outside of where I work).

Genus Crustulina is the spider that you will find more than often in your shed, it looks very much like a black widow and is part of the same family, not sure if it can inflict a bite though.