Electrical Help

Elton

We've got a 4-bulb spotlight bar fitting in the kitchen. We use the correct bulbs in it - 40w screw-in reflector bulbs.

However, ever since we've had this fitting, bulbs have blown at an alarming rate. There isn't a week goes by when one doesn't go!

Is this normal? If not, what could be causing it?

Cheers,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton, Dont know if its normal or not, but I have a similar set up, in the loft, 3 x 40 watt screw-ins, in a spotlamp thing on the ceiling, it goes through bulbs like a mad thing !!!! I was so sick replacing them, I took one out, and now only use two lamps.... and this seems to work, it doesnt use nearly as many.... tho', it is a bit dimmer up there !!!! :D:rolleyes::D

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

We've got a 4-bulb spotlight bar fitting in the kitchen. We use the correct bulbs in it - 40w screw-in reflector bulbs.

However, ever since we've had this fitting, bulbs have blown at an alarming rate. There isn't a week goes by when one doesn't go!

Is this normal? If not, what could be causing it?

Cheers,

Elton

You buying your bulbs in Poundland again Elton?!

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Elton, take down the bar and chuck it in the bin!! LEAST bit of vibration WILL break the filament in these lamps!! Suggest you fit a low voltage one instead as the lamps are cheaper and widely available.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Elton, take down the bar and chuck it in the bin!! LEAST bit of vibration WILL break the filament in these lamps!! Suggest you fit a low voltage one instead as the lamps are cheaper and widely available.

I'll have to agree with Chris (even if he did leave us Yorkshire folk to fend for ourselves).

We had the same problem. My daughters room is above the offending light, and when she was on her 'dance mat' the lights would blow.

What's above your light Elton? Is it your room? If so, you'll have to cut down on the 'banging'. :rolleyes: That should help. ;)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have one in the kitchen four spots on bar, been using since April without any problems. Are you sure they are the correct lamps? Some are very specific about type of lamp.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Would they be GU10 bulbs Elton? mains halogen with two round prongs?

They do seem to be short lived but if you look around there are 'long life' versions and LED replacements, Best to get a whole new set from a decent supplier (osram etc) swap them all and keep out of poundland.

Also dust the fitting while it is off - make sure any reflector is clean as heat kills bulbs.

If only one fitting is a bulb killer it may be the bulb socket has a poor connection.

Normal disclaimer: don't mess with 'leccy' as it can bite, the bites can hurt, a lot!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Cheap bulbs that come with the fitting when brought?

Allso some fittings seem not to get on well with dimmer switches .

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I'd go with long life or energy saving bulbs - we literally went mad and replaced the 20 odd light bulbs around the house all with energy saving bulbs about a year ago (not cheap mind) BUT we've not replaced any since to the best of my knowledge. The newer lamps are much better than the old ones - you don't get the long warm up delays of 'dirty light' you used to get.

Plus the energy savings are fairly significant - 60watts down to 7 or 10 watts, represents a saving of 84% ish - which in my reckoning if you assume you probably use 30 hours of light a day in a house across all rooms thats 657kw per annum on regular bulbs (circa £60 a year in electric) against £8.40 on energy saving bulbs.

If the bulbs last two years, you've made a saving of a hundred quid. You can get the bulbs for £1.99 for a standard screw/bayonet fitting - and many places (we got ours from ikea) have special offers and bulk packs - like 3 bulbs for a five. Yes it might cost £40 to £60 or so to do the house, BUT, it does work out better in the long (and you can feel good in helping the environment and keeping global warming nutters at bay).

Ian W