German Girl Two

Peter Waller

Eyup, we got a Tyke forum!

Keighley's not too bad Phil, well, at least the old railway station is something to look at. :rolleyes:

I've not fished up on the Aire for a while now, but it used to hold some good shoals of roach, if you could find them. The chub fishing used to be fantastic, with the odd bream now and again.

The L&L canal I used to like, until it got polluted with carp. I prefer it down my way now. The river in Leeds is teeming with fish, it has been for many years, but we used to keep quiet about it. Now with the obsession with waterside apartments, it's getting hard to find somewhere to fish.

Patty, where on earth did you find reference to Cock Beck, and Meanwood beck?

The Cock Beck that I know, runs into the Wharfe, just below the A64 Tadcaster bypass. We used to fish it when the main river was in flood, but now a different sluice operates there, and the fish cannot pass from the river to the beck.

Meanwood beck is so small in places, that you can step across it quite easily. But it contains some trout in other areas, and we used to go 'stalking' trout there when I was a kid. It also enters Meanwood pond and has coarse fish in it around there.

I assume the Abbey you mention in Leeds is Kirkstall Abbey, allegedly haunted by a monk. Shakespearean plays are performed among the ruins each year, and there is a small but interesting museum just over the road from the Abbey.

The River Aire runs by it, and there is some good general coarse fishing to be had, especially by the weir.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah then lad!

Keighley centre is not pretty, tha noes it's true, dont go kiddin t'foreigners

(interpretation for non tykes, hello there chap, you know that keighley isn't pretty, don't try to fool our German guest)

OK, can't keep it up....there are some wonderful places in keighley, cliff castle is great and 2 minutes walk from the centre, the villages on the way out of keighley are wonderful but the old peter blacks buildings, the tannery land near the river worth and the market/morrisons area are in serious need of some tlc.

didn't know that the reservoir was private, wont bother trying to buy a ticket. I do remember that a lot of trout escaped once and we caught some great rainbows down at Utley.

Gozzer, i've seen some lovely roach in the leeds parts of the river but only ever had a few at Bingley/Keighley, but then the chub fishing more than made up for it.

Alan Roe is very keen on the river from Keighley up stream, I wonder if he'll join in this thread, being from the wrong side of the penines as he is, I already owe him two guest days on the South Tyne, maybe he can comment on the south lakes fishing and his beloved river ribble.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Hi fellas,

I only leave the house for a few hours and the fishermen go wild in "German Girl Two". :thumbs:

Hi Peter,

Your describtion of Wymondham sounds a bit like my village - Hottenbach. But I don't really mind, that we don't have a McDonalds :yucky: , because I prefer Burger King :clap: , which we don't have in my village eather. It's a drive for about 30 minutes, one way, for a Burger. :thumbdown:

Hi Jayson,

to bad, that you've spoted my plan, but I actually work with J.K. Rowling together, you see. I'm just doing the reserch for the book. The book will be called "Harry Potter and his vampire fisherfriends fighting the british killer-carps". The german vampire is just the one who bites the fishermen. :yahoo: I can hardly wait to start writing on that book. :rtfm:

Hi Phil,

thanks for telling me more about Yorshire and about the dales. I like sheeps. It looks so romantic, seeing them walk about with a shepherd - that makes a nice scenery. We only have a few sheeps here, unfortunately. We have to much forest around. Don't get me wrong. I like walking in the forest, but it's always a bit more interesting to see other countrysides.

The leeds to liverpool canal sounds like an interesting place to fish. And now I even know, where to get the tickets. By the way, thanks very much, Paul, for given me the name of the shop. :thumbs:

We in germany call the bream "Klodeckel", which means toiletteseat, because of there shape. :yucky: But I can't get the german word for roach, perch and chub, does anybody know it?

We have trout fishing reservoir, but I don't like them very much, we call them "Forellenpuff". I'm to polite to translate that into english. :rolleyes:

Hi Paul,

Quote: Keighley's not too bad on the cosmetic front in reality is it? It's just the inbreds who reside there I have a problem with......... :bigemo_harabe_net-163: Would I like to see that village

Yours,

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

But I can't get the german word for roach, perch and chub, does anybody know it?

I can help on the German for chub - it's "dickopf" (thick head). I don't speak German, but I remember reading that somewhere (It might have been "Fishing Days" by Geoffrey Bucknall).

While I was posting, Gozzer and Phil were at it again.

Hi Gozzer,

thanks for given me more information about the l&l canal - very interesting. Where do you go fishing for carp? My husband likes to fish for carp.

The situation, that it gets hard to find a place to fish on the river in Leeds, is the same here, but here you can't get to the water anymore, because the polititions try to make it as hard as possible for the fishermen and -women with stupid laws.

I found the information about Cock Beck, and Meanwood beck in google. I looked up: rivers Yorkshire. You find everything in google. :thumbs: Thanks for given me more information about it. It's always interesting to hear about other fishing places and experiences. To bad for you, that there is no more fishing in the Cock Beck. We have areas here to, where we fish after they have been flooded, it's always fun. I'll look for Meanwood pond and there course in fishing up in google. Thanks for the tip. Shure I'll find something about it there. :clap2:

Cool, that the Abbey was haunted by a monk. :bigemo_harabe_net-195: I love shakespeare, got all of his dramas. My favorite is "Romeo and Juliette". :wub: And I love museums too. I must travel to Yorkshire!!! Is the weir a river too? Did anybody fish there and can tell me something about it?

Thanks again for given me all the information, Gozzer. That's very nice of you.

Hi again Phil,

I suppose, I got to find out about Keighley myself, but I'm shure it's pretty - and that there is no or just a bit inbreeding. :rolleyes: Joke aside, You make it sound like a splended place, with wonderful surroundings. Cliff castle is very beautyful. I admire you fellas for living in such a breathtaking country, with so much history around you and many beautyful spots to fish.

Phil, you should work for a travel agency. You would do a great in that profession. :clap: How is it to fish in the river ribble?

Yours,

Patty

Hi Dave,

how are you, nice to hera from you again. So the chub is a "Dickkpopf", the official name for it is "Döbel". We have them here a lot in the Rhein. Thanks for telling me.

Edited by Patrizia

4ham55k.jpg

I can help on the German for chub - it's "dickopf" (thick head). I don't speak German, but I remember reading that somewhere (It might have been "Fishing Days" by Geoffrey Bucknall).

I think the word for perch is Flussbarch (sp?) or something similar. My German lessons at school were a year or two ago. :rolleyes:

Hi Gozzer,

thanks for given me more information about the l&l canal - very interesting. Where do you go fishing for carp? My husband likes to fish for carp.

How dare you Patty? Calling someone a crap carp angler is fighting talk in my book. But I will forgive you the mistake, just this once. ;)

I go out of my way to avoid them.

We have a disease in the UK. It mainly effects the people who stock waters, it's official title is 'Stikacarpinititus'. The symptoms are, if you see a damp patch of earth, then you have a compulsion to put as many carp in it as possible. The disease is harmless to the health of humans, but has been fatal to many fisheries I know. :(

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Patrizia,

Don't go here unless you take a handkerchief

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/article15.htm

By the way, our (almost) 21 year old cat had to be put down a few days ago :(

The last of three (his mother died at around the same age last year) that were kittens when our children were small.

Now the children are grown, the house empty, but never so empty as now.

It's sad to walk into the house without even a cat to greet you, or into a room and not see him lift his head as you enter.

Or to find a delicious tid-bit on the chopping board, and have to put it into the worm compost container, instead of the cat's plate (especially fish skin, his favourite).

Or catch a movement in the corner of your eye, and turn to see nothing.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi John!

I've just posted my 4 facts, take a look! :crazy:

A Flussbarsch, so that's a perch. I knew, that I have seen that fish before. And you took german lessons in school. Where yopu good at it? Since it was just a few "days" ago, love! :spiteful:

:oops: Sorry, if I hurt your feelings by calling you a carp fisher. It will never happen again, big Gozzer!!! :notworthy:;) I think we have Stikacarpinititusd here in Germany too. I went a few times carp fishing with my husband, but I thought it was a bit boring. It seems to me that carp-fishers are very much "loved" by coarse-fishers in britain. :boxing: Is that just because of the "disease"? Here in Germany they don't have anything against each other.

Hi Leon,

nice to have you back.

First I want to tell you, how sorry I am, that your cat had to be put to sleep. :cry: And a year before her mother too. That is very hard. You must have taken very good care of them, otherwise they wouldn't have become that old. I feel with you very much, it's like a part of you is gone! Was she very ill? But you don't have to answer hat question, if it hurts you to much. I'm always there for you, if you need to talk about it. That helps sometimes! They were a part of your family, it's understandable, that your shatered, because of the empty house. They've had a good, long life. I now that doesn't eas the pain, but they will always be with you, in your memories.

A cat can be your best friend, I now that. I was crying so much, when the doctor told me a few days ago, that my Teddy had to be operated. I couldn't even drive, I had to stop all the time. I didn't see anymore, because of all the tears. Now my husband drove to pick him up. Hope everthing will be fine.

Thanks for the Link. I'll check it out as soon as possible and I'll have plenty of handkerchief on my side, when I start to read. You know, how emotional I can get reading a touching story, or watch a movie like titanic. :cry::cry::cry:

Yours,

Patty

4ham55k.jpg

not looking forward to that Leon........sorry to hear it mate.

on the brighter side my mates three year old cat has been put on a diet after his raditor hanging bed, collapsed under his not insignificant weight, so not only does he now spend his time trying to avoid their two year old son's attentions, but he also cannot have the interesting scraps he was used to................he's taken to hunting the neighbours ankles when they're out tidying their garden after winter, which is not going down well.

Patty, just to add to the general confusion the river "Wear" is a river which flows through sunderland into durham up to a source very close to the source of the south tyne. It is a very good coarse and sea trout river with occasional salmon.

(You MUST go to Durham, with it's ancient castle and magnificent cathedral looking down over the river, it must not be missed)

a river "weir" is a point on a river where man has built a barrier to slow the water above it making the water suitable for rowing etc. There are many impressive weirs on many of the rivers in the UK, Durham also has a stunning weir on the river wear.

having read some of my previous posts, I thought some pictures may help, this is a phot of the river at glen lyon near loch tay

riverlyon.jpg

here's the river tyne at newcastle, close to my office

Tynesky.jpg

and here is a picture of the weir on the river at Bath (one of Britain's prettiest cities and also a MUST SEE)

WindermereandChloe009.jpg

that may make it easier to understand what I mean.

cheers

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Patty said:

We have trout fishing reservoir, but I don't like them very much, we call them "Forellenpuff". I'm to polite to translate that into english.

We have puffs who have fallen by the wayside in this country too! It's something in the water and its also effecting our fish.