What if?

Dick Dastardly

I grew up in Govanhill, where the Paki population is probably larger than any other ethnic group, so you're not swaying me here, with your picturesque description of Sheffield. I'm well aware that those who are ignorant enough to accept that using the word is 'incredibly hateful and racist' will always exist but that isn't a reason to shy away and choose language carefully. A language that is theirs more than it is mine incidentally. If people wish to read into what comes out of my mouth, that's their problem, not mine. I shouldn't have to stutter, looking for a more generalised term like Asian. That's exactly the same as wiping Scot out of the language and calling me British and nothing else. There's no doubt that Pakis are Asian and Scots are British but we both still have individual identities and as I've said already, we should be proud of what we are. It's how Paki is said that adds hate to it, not the word itself. Add a guttural, forced pronunciation to any word and you can make it sound hateful. It's the same as fat. Theres nothing wrong with fat either but the more rotund among us, that know no better, have decided that it means one thing and one thing only but it doesn't change anything. I choose my words carefully but I'm not going to change how I choose to speak because people who know no better have decided I might be offending them. We're not allowed to call sheep black anymore....apparently. It's the same thing. PC madness gone awry, so please don't try to educate me about what goes on in the 'Asian' population. I know all about it. I've given the FACTS on the matter, not some hog-wash that we are told we have to accept.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in Govanhill, where the Paki population is probably larger than any other ethnic group, so you're not swaying me here, with your picturesque description of Sheffield. I'm well aware that those who are ignorant enough to accept that using the word is 'incredibly hateful and racist' will always exist but that isn't a reason to shy away and choose language carefully. A language that is theirs more than it is mine incidentally. If people wish to read into what comes out of my mouth, that's their problem, not mine. I shouldn't have to stutter, looking for a more generalised term like Asian. That's exactly the same as wiping Scot out of the language and calling me British and nothing else. There's no doubt that Pakis are Asian and Scots are British but we both still have individual identities and as I've said already, we should be proud of what we are. It's how Paki is said that adds hate to it, not the word itself. Add a guttural, forced pronunciation to any word and you can make it sound hateful. It's the same as fat. Theres nothing wrong with fat either but the more rotund among us, that know no better, have decided that it means one thing and one thing only but it doesn't change anything. I choose my words carefully but I'm not going to change how I choose to speak because people who know no better have decided I might be offending them. We're not allowed to call sheep black anymore....apparently. It's the same thing. PC madness gone awry, so please don't try to educate me about what goes on in the 'Asian' population. I know all about it. I've given the FACTS on the matter, not some hog-wash that we are told we have to accept.

Racism needs a language. So every now and again we have words and there meanings stolen from us by stupid people. Now you can argue as much as you can about the true meanings and terms and how you shouldn't have to use different language to express your self, but if you want to stay a decent open minded person you'll have to move on with society. If society deems something unacceptable then the fact is it just isn't acceptable because we all ARE society. If you concider yourself on your own and seperate from society then keep using the words but don't be surprised when people are affended. This has nothing to do with political correctness gone mad (although I agree, racism is politically incorrect) it is language evolution, we would still be grunting at each other if this didn't happen. The facts are that the terms discussed cause harm to people. If you care about people and wether you offend them or not then how hard is it just to find another word without all the hate bound to it? I'am not going to comment any further because that is what I believe. wether I am ignorant or not.

Edited by SPSwallow

May I suggest that we move on from the whole race/slur/ethinicity thing now? I guess it's my fault for brining it up in the first place, but it's clear that we all have different, valid opinions about it and that there is strong feeling about some of them, so I don't think we're really making any worthy contributions to this particular discussion by continuing them in this thread.

Yes, Budgie.......what's your take on the matter seeing as you started this? I get the feeling you already have an opinion but you're holding back to see what everyone else thinks.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I think Budgies given up. I don't blame him.

117 replies, and I doubt more than a quarter of them are even remotely related to the question in hand.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

117 replies, and I doubt more than a quarter of them are even remotely related to the question in hand.

John.

I know, but folks are getting bored waiting for the next instalment. That's why we all keep drifting off topic.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Perhaps he's waiting for Rabbit's response :P:P

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

For an apparently educated person you really appear to be a racist but you certainly are ignorant, insensitive and an idiot.

Don't be upset by this post the words above are merely accurate descriptions and therefore cannot possibly be offensive.

Rich