Appeal launched after otter found shot in East Yorkshire

Elton

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the ugly little beast had already eaten all his fish?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Brumagem Phil

Jesus wept, its like being at sunday school here.........no wonder the place is empty compared to how it was.

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Mmmm... I expected a little more action, only one bite...

Personally I would love to see an otter on the riverbank, it would be great to see a thriving population supported by adequate fish stocks. In fact much like it used to be before the balance was tipped against the otter and the fish stocks.

To quote brumagem phil... ''the only thing wrong with nature is WE keep interfering'' I agree and

that's my point really.... WE very likely, re-introduced the otter, its happening throughout the country including here in cheshire.

I would like to believe that prior to such reintroduction of a major predator, research is done to ensure that WE are not destroying the balance once more, however being cynical I doubt it happens. I would like to be proved wrong.

Unfortunately otters are seen as cute creatures by joe public and anyone who harms them is a nasty criminal, I wish our fish stocks had similar protection and regard, and that includes from pike killers, migrants fishing for the pot, and yes... any crazy going about with a shotgun.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Mmmm... I expected a little more action, only one bite...

Two bites I think, snotty, you need to adjust your shotting, or pay more attention. :P:)

I know the area pretty well, and IMO, it can sustain an an otter population.

There are good fish stocks and, (dare I say it :unsure: ) some waters that contain an abundance of pike. In fact at times it's a bit like fishing for carp on a commercial, they are in almost every swim, and it's fairly easy to get several in a session. The fact that they are mostly under double figures, is probably down to angling clubs trying to cull them. (But of course that's different to culling otters....Isn't it?)

As for those that applaud the shooting, well what can I say?

Anglers....guardians of the waterside.........................but only when it suits them!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I wonder how much the decline in eel populations is increasing the pressure on other species where otters are present? Maybe the otters would be less inclined to chomp barbel if there were more of their favourite prey about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...4/23/weel23.xml

I should think you may of hit the nail on the head Mr Walker.

I'm fairly sure that there has been an increase in otter predation on other species as a direct consequence to the demise of the eel population.. To just what level is always going to be hard to prove but it makes perfect sense. The decrease in the eel population has probably had a direct influence on the decrease of the otter population over the past few decades aswell...

I can remember a period not so long ago where eels were commonplace in just about every body of water in the Eastern counties, now they are only found, generally in the lower sections of tidal rivers, the odd marsh dyke and lake.

If a preffered food source is not available, then the otters will establish themselves elsewhere where one is, i.e near carp puddles or trout streams therefore bringing them into conflict with the landowners/anglers..

It's a lose, lose situation for the otter..

And as for certain European countries fisheries policys - they make little or no sense. Preserving their social model in exchange for political votes in the very short term whilst subsequently destroying the long term livelyhood of their environment and those whose incomes depend upon it.

It's incredibly short sighted as are some anglers views regarding the top predators in an aquatic food chain... Its as if people can only see the hand that feeds them and not the place where the food comes from...

BAD NEWS.

Edited by dant

You are so right Phil, I'm sick to the back teeth of people blatantly exaggerating the impact of Pike on fodder fish stocks. Anyone would think a 4lb Jack went through 200 fish a day to hear some people talk.

Like all fish, Pike are a natural part of the ecosystem, and should be afforded the same respect as any other species.

Sorry, a little off topic there. :)

Too true

Appaling news about the otter...who the f**k would do that?

"As for those that applaud the shooting, well what can I say?"

I don't applaud it, but it doesn't upset me either. Fact is, I'm a country boy. I am not sentimental. I don't often shoot, but when I do I eat what I've shot unless it's rats. I don't kill pike (which is what I fish for) but if one died on me I'd eat it. An otter is a mink is a stoat is a weasel is a ferret is a polecat is a rat. I'd love to see one in the wild and wouldn't harm it - I'd stay still and watch for hours like I do with most of the wildlife I see - but I know a farmer with a large area of marshland and a dug and stocked lake. It is currently devoid of fish, as are the dykes around it for some distance. Seems to be either otter or mink. I've heard of big fish killed and left virtually untouched by otters too. Would you lot wring your hands over a mink? I've seen one, beautiful it was and I enjoyed watching it, but I'd rather not see them around.

Make of that what you will - and I'm sure you will see it with your own angle.

Oh - as to who would do that, I'd say it was most likely a farmer or a gamekeeper. Or was it a rhetorical question?

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.