Pike exam

Anderoo

I prefer to deal in facts not emotion.As others have pointed out as well the pike IS probably the most delicate of our species.It IS the apex predator and any fluctuation in its numbers caused by man CAN affect the balance of a fishery.

Sorry Barry but handling the fish you mention is not the same as handling pike.Surely you can see that we can all learn something new?If we have any regard for our catch and the future of our sport shouldnt we all make sure we arm ourselves with the best knowledge? Ive been fishing for over 40 years,Ive been lucky enough to have caught big fish,won matchs etc etc.Im told Im very knowledgable about angling.............but I still learn new stuff nearly every day.I dont know it all and nor does anyone else.The mere fact that some think they do proves to me they dont!

I have been talking abouyt restrictions,licencing etc at club/syndicate/water level as well.However the one really good aside of a national requirement would be that more instruction would have to be made available! And thats the one thing everyone seems to agree on.

A lot of you give the impression that "instruction"/ learning something is a negative thing!!! I would love to have been able to be shown a lot of the things I learned the hard way! Or do you think thats "cheating"? Mosy of the anglers Ive had attend teach ins find that thew extra knowledge they pick up about actually catching pike as well as the handling side is a real bonus.Ive had several "30 year men" who know it all come to teach ins (purely because they have to to get their ticket stamped).Their atitude has sucked to say the least.They have made sure that right from the start they have pointed out to me and who ever else will listen that they "know it all" and "its a waste of their fishing time" but ALL but one have admited at the end that they have enjoyed it/or learned something (and not always from me I will add).

The one who didnt actually left after I asked him to demonstrate holding and unhooking a deep hooked pike.............................and darent put his hand up the gill plate....much to everyone elses amusement.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is Budgie, the guys who care enough to go to a teach-in, will probably take it in and use it in future. The ones that are forced to go, probably won't, but if asked will still say "look at my license, I passed the exam".

Just because someones shown enough proficiency to pass an exam, doesn't guarantee they'll that they will continue at the same level. (just think of the driving exam, and the number of 'clowns' on the road)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I see your point John.I suppose it could also be argued that those who would practice good angling would also make the effort to learn? So lets make it easier for them. Like I said if bringing in pike licences increases the chances for people who want to learn to do so then thats a good enough reason for me.

Sorry Barry but handling the fish you mention is not the same as handling pike.Surely you can see that we can all learn something new?If we have any regard for our catch and the future of our sport shouldnt we all make sure we arm ourselves with the best knowledge? Ive been fishing for over 40 years,Ive been lucky enough to have caught big fish,won matchs etc etc.Im told Im very knowledgable about angling.............but I still learn new stuff nearly every day.I dont know it all and nor does anyone else.The mere fact that some think they do proves to me they dont!

Hi BUDGIE, Can't see why the pike is so delicate and emotive compared with other fish. I would imagine most if not all on this forum care for their fish and fishing, the guys who aren't sure, yes ask the question regarding fish handling but not force it on all just because some consider some need help in the right direction. I'm a boat angler but it still means that i care for all fish eaten or put back otherwise i can't see the point, yes i know some say two hours won't make a lot of difference in your life, but why impose it on all. I don't subscribe to the thought that some anglers know it all, sure we all learn something every day but don't force it on people. I used to catch pike and others years ago, i don't remember any problems letting them go or unhooking, just like other fish really. What about catching and releasing mackerel for example, apparently if we just touch the skin while unhooking, that gives them a death sentance, so what is the difference in handling a pike as opposed to a mackerel.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

If I ran a fishery I would definitely insist on people going to a pike teach-in before them being allowed to fish for pike. I may even go further and not allow pike fishing at all (like at Wingham). In fact, if anyone wants evidence that a healthy pike population aids the overall health of a fishery and its fish, Wingham is it.

The reasons have been listed many times during this thread.

I do find it a bit odd that on various topics everyone seems to agree that education is the way forward when dealing with various fishing-related issues, but when there's a scheme put in place to do just that it comes up against opposition.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If I ran a fishery I would definitely insist on people going to a pike teach-in before them being allowed to fish for pike. I may even go further and not allow pike fishing at all (like at Wingham). In fact, if anyone wants evidence that a healthy pike population aids the overall health of a fishery and its fish, Wingham is it.

So with regards to that argument it well could be a situation of saying 'sorry Mr Yates you have to go to a teach in before............. ' one size fits all?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Rather than an exam it might be more useful to hold "How to fish for Pike" days a few times a year, although I know a lot of PAC regions have these

This sounds great. Does anyone produce literature on handling of Pike?

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!

Barry you obviously have very different veiws to any competent pike angler I know and also a very different view of fish physiology,ecology than any biologist I know so to save boring any one with constantly repeating myself I will simply accept your stance and be thank full that you would never be sharing any waters with myself!

You seem hell bent on trying to find fault/inacuracies with what anyone says that feel there is a need.This isnt species snobbery its just facts that Im stating born from practical experience.

And as for the Yates question yes of course he would be expected to and you know what I bet he wouldnt mind in the slightest! After all I know of several pike "experts" who have had to be "tested" before recieving permission to fish waters.

Strange how the people who by their own admission dont pike fish/pike fish regularly have the biggest problem with it isnt it? Not that is a point (if there is one) that Im totally missing.

This sounds great. Does anyone produce literature on handling of Pike?

Jeeze that is EXACTLY what we are talking about! "How to pike fish days" are exactly what I do for people/clubs etc regardless of wether the club makes attendance compulsory before allowing them to pike fish or not.

Re literatrure.Yes I will put uop links to some down loadable stuff.But nothing can beat being actually shown by some one who is competent.

LINKS TO PAC SCIENTIFIC/FISHERIES MANAGEMENT PAPERS

Pike in Your Waters http://www.pacgb.co.uk/pdfs/pikeinyourwaters.pdf examines the role pike play and the impact of culls.

Pike Culls - The Truth http://www.pacgb.co.uk/aboutpike/culls.html

Pike Culls - A Review of Scientific Evidence http://www.pacgb.co.uk/aboutpike/cullsbb.html

Pike Culls - The Effects of Pike Re3moval http://www.pacgb.co.uk/aboutpike/cullssyn.html

And for advice in general on pike fishing and handling-

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/index.html

Edited by BUDGIE

. Paid for out of your own pocket ( a plumbing test costs about £2000 ) or£15.00 If you go to poland :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Any further types of fishing will require you to pass even more tests.

And of course the over 65s would be required to take annual testing.

DON'T EVEN DISCUSS IT, OR YOU COULD END UP REGRETTING IT.

Den

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif