Big dace

The Flying Tench

In my experience big dace are often found with shoal members of varying sizes even towards the back end of the season when all the text books suggest that the whoppers form their own mini shoals.For that reason i am usually happy to remain in the same swim if i am on a "shedfull" only moving if they go off the feed or a predator moves in.

My two best dace of 1lb each captured from the worryingly named Pansy Pool came on a day when it was a fish a chuck for most of the morning.With ranging from a few ounces up to the one pound whoppers.

As for baits i would not look further than maggots and casters myself, i have seen bread mentioned as a dace bait but it has never done the business for me.Although in a swim containing dace and roach the bread will trip up the roach.

My two best dace of 1lb each captured from the worryingly named Pansy Pool came on a day when it was a fish a chuck for most of the morning.With ranging from a few ounces up to the one pound whoppers.

There's a more reliable hotspot just downstream!! ;)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I keep saying it, but I really am going to have to get a ticket for the Kennet next season! A pound dace would be the fish of a lifetime.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

? And what is the best bait for big dace? Is it best to fish maggot, and fish through all the small ones, or is a bait such as sweetcorn preferable?

When I lived in Hertfordshire I caught three Dace of over 1lb one winter from the R.Mimram, (could possibly have been the same fish) it was caught each time on a one inch cube of legered breadcrust intended for Chub.

I keep saying it, but I really am going to have to get a ticket for the Kennet next season! A pound dace would be the fish of a lifetime.

I googled 'Pansy Pool' and it's on a trout fishery where I think you can get day tickets. No doubt Stret Peg and Chris P could tell you more.

I hate to say it but my best dace is only 6oz. Still, I'm gonna better that this afternoon! On a free water which I could tell you about if you were interested - though I haven't heard of them coming from there more than about 12 oz.

john clarke

There's a more reliable hotspot just downstream!! ;)

C.

Will take your word for it Chris as i no longer fish there.For the sort of money they are asking i want one pounders in every swim! :D

I've read in the past that to target big dace you need to avoid the fast runnning 'typical' dace swims and fish slower more roachy swims. But I don't often hear of people catching big dace when they are after roach, and anglers on the Kennet local to me often seem to get quite big dace (say up to 12 oz) as part of a net of ordinary dace from quite fast water.

Has anyone any views on this? And what is the best bait for big dace? Is it best to fish maggot, and fish through all the small ones, or is a bait such as sweetcorn preferable?

I used to fish for dace on a small river and trotting was the best method in slow swims with maggot, i also caught them about the pound mark, if there was a bit of a flow i would backshot [swan shot about a foot above the float] to slow the float down

• 15 years later...

My late Dad & I had some nice Dace of about 10 - 12 oz on the river Wharfe at Ulleskelf, Ouston Farm & Grimston park, Mainly trotting with single Caster buried with a size 16, Fine Wire hook (so the hook is completely invisible) & just tripping bottom. Feeding Maggot & Casters little & often, but need to keep it going in, at least every other cast.

Also try turning your own Casters - they are much better than Shop Bought!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

There’s some very nice quality sized Dace (and Roach) caught on our local Barbel stream in flowing water, although there are plenty of slacks below reed beds along the stretch; they are caught both in these slacks and in the faster flowing gravel runs in front of the reed beds.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)