I do love Australia

corydoras

"My mum explained to me that this was caused by a disease called polia but that I did not need to be worried about it because I had been vaccinated against it. No double standards with me mate. Vaccinate your kids. It's not rocket science."

When I was growing up, I saw kids with stubby arms and legs. My mom explained that it was because their mothers took a drug called Thalidomide. She also explained that when she was pregnant with me, she had terrible problems with morning sickness and was prescribed Thalidomide and given the pills, but chose not to take it.

Maybe the potential consequences of misguided assurances of safety are a little too real for me to blithely accept that the state knows best when it comes to drugs, vaccinations, GMOs etc.

We are all shaped by our own experiences. I grew up knowing people who were blown up in the Birmingham pub bombings and but for a quirk of fate that delayed his arrival' my father and his mate would have been standing right next to the bomb in The Tavern in the Town - and that is one of the many factors that shaped my deep antipathy towards religion in all its forms.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yeah I just missed out on Thalidomide too. My mum asked the doctor for it but he refused to prescribe it for her.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Mistakes happen. You have to make a rational call on the balance of probabilities.

It is estimated that the number of Thalidomide victims worldwide was around 10,000.

In the early 50's, some single years saw 15,000+ cases of polio paralysis.

In the UK, prior to the introduction of vaccination against rubella, we were getting about 800 pregnancies every year either terminated or going to term with defects because of rubella.

etc.

• Like 1

I have only had 2 injections for disease other than a couple of tetanus ones ,avoided all i could including the bcg (if thats the one with many needles?)

One as a baby which put my mum in a state as she hated needles herself and one at school i got by surprise.

I had whooping cough as a baby and the rest of the noticeable diseases before i left primary school so naturally got immunity

The worst i have come across is shingles boy thats annoying i had it a few years ago

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Mistakes happen. You have to make a rational call on the balance of probabilities.

It is estimated that the number of Thalidomide victims worldwide was around 10,000.

In the early 50's, some single years saw 15,000+ cases of polio paralysis.

In the UK, prior to the introduction of vaccination against rubella, we were getting about 800 pregnancies every year either terminated or going to term with defects because of rubella.

etc.

Precisely Steve. I caught both mumps and measles when I was a wee lad because the vaccines were not available. I'd not wish them on anyone I can still remember the misery of mumps and the hellish nightmares from the high fever I had with measles. I caught them both within a week or so of going to a new school.

Edited by corydoras
  • Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Steve,

Who was it that said something like - - - First, Do No Harm. - - Second, Learn from the Mistake if you do.

Fear of mistakes ensures you do nothing.

Phone

When I got my first IT Job my boss said to me "It's better to make a bad decision than to make no decision at all. If you **** up come and tell me, don't try to hide it"

(the polio statistic should have said that it was for the US alone, by the way)

Yet there are some amongst us who yearn for the "good old days".

Children+in+an+iron+lung+before+the+adve

• Like 1

"Mistakes happen. You have to make a rational call on the balance of probabilities."

Yep, and that's why I am vaccinated against rabies, typhoid and a whole host of other nasties. It's also why I haven't used antimalarial prophylaxis for the last 10 years.

As I said at the outset, my issue isn't with vaccination, it's with compulsion.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.