angling forums

tiddlertamer

Elton mentioned 'sheep' the other day, those that have been around a while would have understood it. No one seems to mention then these days

Lyn - I think that is mostly down to the national shortage of velcro gloves.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a few of you, I am registered with several other forums, a couple of local ones, and maggot drowners etc. I think I've been with AN the longest, and still find it the best balanced forum. MD can be a bit "cliquey" and match orientated, but I have learnt a lot especially with regard to pole fishing. I tend not to post much, but visit usually at least once a day. All I can say is well done to the mods, I imagine it can be a thankless task, and a happy and successful new year to all members. :) :) :)

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

I have not been posting much lately, neither have a few other regulars it would seem. Point is there seems to be a lack of quality on AN currently, seems as if the site has been taken over by a bunch of school kids intent on showing us just how much the teaching profession is failing them.

It was not so long ago that on AN we had lively debate that stretched the mind and the moderators, the contribution was of a high quality and made this site unique and truly number 1

I am now not so sure that AN can make this boast, standards have dropped, anyone with a view that does not coincide with a certain attitude on here gets slammed. I still look at this site before any other, but please lets have a bit more quality control before we end up like the rest of the dross.

No need for me to say what I think about AN, except to say I am happy to make a small contribution towards the costs.

Rabbit, agree with you mate, but give them a few weeks and they usually dissapear for lack of responses. I do wonder at the age and education standard of some of them...do you also get the impression that they are in an awful hurry ?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Point is there seems to be a lack of quality on AN currently, seems as if the site has been taken over by a bunch of school kids intent on showing us just how much the teaching profession is failing them.

This has always happened from time to time on AN (as indeed it does on most sites) The big difference here (IMO) is that it doesnt (or rather more acurately maybe isnt allowed to?) become the standard.

Be they young/new comers to angling or people just messing about they either "conform" or soon dissapear.Yes it can be a bit repetitive reading the same questions (all though Ive found that no matter how often a question is asked there are often some new veiws expressed) but we have all had to ask questions at one stage and most of us still do! I especially like reading "standard FAQ's" that get me to challenge the validity of the "standard answers"! Only new guys or people trying something different can do this.

I like others here dont like the "text speak" but most new members who start using it soon learn that and if they genuinely want some information/discussion/help start trying harder to improve the way they are comunicating.

My other pet hates are the people who come on asking for advice but dont want it! all they are really doing is looking for people to confirm their own beliefs. Dont like people who post "second hand experience" either.But like I said unlike many other sites all soon re balances here on AN.

NB: Just noticed Den has replied whilst I was typing and miore or less said the same thing! Sorry.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dont like people who post "second hand experience" either.

Interesting. My reason for occasionally doing this was a not wanting to been seen as leeching.

For someone with minimal experience but still wants to put something back into the forum, what advice would long term members give ?

Tony

Whilst I will agree with the last few posters as to the latest members joining AN, I will disagree wilth their prognosis. There have been quite a few postings over the years about the future of angling, however I disagree with with what they say.

I believe that instead of them (the new posters) bringing AN down, I believe that AN is big enough to accept these youngsters and, over a period of time, turn them around from being illiterate and untrained in the noble art of angling, and turn them into the future of angling!

Or were the worries posted before just rhetoric!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Agreed Klein, many of them do stick around and get absorbed into AN. It is just that when they first come on here they seem to be firing questions at a very fast rate, giving the impression that they have done little or no research before plunging in.

I meet quite a few like that during school holidays..questions coming so fast you don't have time to answer any of them :) :)

I remember my Dad wanting to know "Why do you keep asking Why" :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

AN is the friendliest and most 'rounded' site in my opinion - I think it's good because many of the members are very experienced and willing to share. The content moves with the seasons, and as the year progresses and target species change different people's expertise come to the fore.

There are also great fish-ins organised which anyone can come to and know that they'll have a good time in good company.

AN is a nice place to come to tell a story, ask a question, or get an opinion. The bitchy forums seem to be single-species ones (carp, pike and barbel), and AN is definitely not one of those.

I look into other forums but don't contribute. The best one for a laugh (or cry) is 'carp forum' where you can get answers to some of the most pressing piscatorial questions like, what's the best fishing dog? And, what's your favourite Indian takeaway on the bank? The single-species forums ran out of steam ages ago.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music