Pub landlord gives 2 fingers to the smoking ban

mr motorola

Do you agree with the new ban?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking or Non-smoking? If the pubs / clubs and bingo hall managers had the choice of Smoking or Non-Smoking for their estasblishment , what would the majority vote be?

• Smoking allowed
    • No Smoking allowed

From the figures I remember (and I apologise but I cannot find the reference) in 2004 there were SIX non smoking pubs in the whole of the UK!!!

Some choice.

in 2008 there is ZERO smoking pubs in the whole of the UK.

Some choice.

Hiya Nick, hope you and the family are well mate. :thumbs:

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the figures I remember (and I apologise but I cannot find the reference) in 2004 there were SIX non smoking pubs in the whole of the UK!!!

Some choice.

You should have gone into business opening non-smoking pubs, they'd have been packed out and you'd be a millionaire by now.

Can't think why nobody else thought of it.

As did non-smokers previously, and far more insidiously. We were "banned" from many places purely because of the choices others made i.e. to smoke. True we could go anywhere we wanted and be forced to inhale cigarette smoke, well now smokers will be forced to breathe clean air. What comes around goes around.

As to the benefits of the smoking ban:

see here

As smoking causes long term damage I would put those figures as very surprising, and being quite blunt I do not believe them.

I think the point is being missed here, non-smokers had a choice, they could choose to avoid places where smoking took place, now it would have been better if there had been a wider choice and that is the only point I would concede.

Smokers now do not have a choice as smoking pubs and clubs etc are banned.

Are non-smokers so unsure of their ground that they think if pubs and clubs were given a choice to be smoking or non-smoking that they would lose out?? If so it would appear the minority has over ruled the majority because the deciding factor for any club or pub would be if they would make more money or less.

I don't smoke now so my choice would be non-smoking :D but a few months ago it would have been smoking :lol:

I just think the anti-brigade are just a little to smug and as I said smoking today your bits tomorrow. :lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

You should have gone into business opening non-smoking pubs, they'd have been packed out and you'd be a millionaire by now.

Can't think why nobody else thought of it.

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

That's a good one Steve. I've yet to see a non-smoking pub / club packed to the rafters. And lets face it , they're everywhere now.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

That's a good one Steve. I've yet to see a non-smoking pub / club packed to the rafters. And lets face it , they're everywhere now.

If there were smoking pubs you would have to fight the breweries for them because they would be gold mines :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yo...ire/7180097.stm

Good on the man. He has my full backing. With the modern rantings about 'rights' , why should smokers have their rights violated and be forced out onto the street and look like leppers?

I actually saw the above on our local / regional news (Look North) and a NON-SMOKER agreed with the idea of the landlord.

What actually IS the bigger picture to this law? Is it the health & safety exec flexing it's new found muscles?

Anyhoo , good on the landlord , lets have more like him.

As a guitarist playing in pubs and clubs since the mid late seventy's, imo the introduction of the smoking ban has definitely changed things for sure, some local pubs to me are losing over a grand a week in takings others not so much, i found that the outside smoking facility standards, does make a big diference ie, if there is a shelter then its not such a problem (it can have a roof and three sides apparently) but if your in the street then its a big problem. fwit, they should have left the decision down to the pub owners if you want smoking then have if not dont, what ever i will carry on playing in pubs and clubs and smokers will come out for a puff in the breaks along with the band members for a civilised chat along with a surprising amount of non smokers, and no w*****g government are gonna stop that, cheers.........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

if there is a shelter then its not such a problem (it can have a roof and three sides apparently)

A roof and at least three sides open, as I recall. Clearly the law was drafted that way in order to ensure that any non-smokers who want to stand outside in the smoking shelter are protected from passive smoke, rather than to make sure that it's bloody uncomfortable for the smokers...

A roof and at least three sides open, as I recall. Clearly the law was drafted that way in order to ensure that any non-smokers who want to stand outside in the smoking shelter are protected from passive smoke, rather than to make sure that it's bloody uncomfortable for the smokers...

And WHY would non-smokers WANT to stand outside in the SMOKING SHELTER ??

Here we go again ......................

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

As a guitarist playing in pubs and clubs since the mid late seventy's, imo the introduction of the smoking ban has definitely changed things for sure, some local pubs to me are losing over a grand a week in takings others not so much, i found that the outside smoking facility standards, does make a big diference ie, if there is a shelter then its not such a problem (it can have a roof and three sides apparently) but if your in the street then its a big problem. fwit, they should have left the decision down to the pub owners if you want smoking then have if not dont, what ever i will carry on playing in pubs and clubs and smokers will come out for a puff in the breaks along with the band members for a civilised chat along with a surprising amount of non smokers, and no w*****g government are gonna stop that, cheers.........

Stavey , i'm pleased that someone like yourself have posted on this subject. You will have (more than most) a better idea of the affect on the pub / club scene than a normal drinker who sits in his local and only ventures out to other establishments say . once a month / year.