Pub landlord gives 2 fingers to the smoking ban

mr motorola

Do you agree with the new ban?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking or Non-smoking? If the pubs / clubs and bingo hall managers had the choice of Smoking or Non-Smoking for their estasblishment , what would the majority vote be?

• Smoking allowed
    • No Smoking allowed

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There,s that many pubs closing around our way through the ban, at least one week ,there wont be anywhere to go for a friendly pint.

That's not very nice to hear ridgeacre. One of the pubs in the next village on from me was 'raided' on Thursday night by the officials that be for smoking in the pub. On entering the premises the Police were welcomed by some 30-40 smokers all with lit cigs. The pub in question is still closed.

Contrary to your statement though , the experts in charge of monitoring the effects of the ban openly state that there is no knock-on effect. I know who i believe as i happen to see it with my own eyes , unlike the t0ssers with suits sat in an office somewhere looking at projected figures deciding what their next pathetic idea / ban will be.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

What I find most sad is that some youngsters reading the comments from the drug addicts on here will think that smoking is OK. And make no mistake, smokers are very definitely drug addicts.

Delude yourselves by all means, but please don't delude the kids.

I bet you'd fight tooth and nail to stop your kids from taking other drugs. Then why don't you with cigarettes?

BTW, the most successful arguement I've used so far to stop teenagers from smoking isn't health or even money. It was to point out that they're far less likely to find a girlfriend/boyfriend if they smoke.

I had just one girlfriend who smoked - I never had another!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'll tell you what , lets ban alcohol / fuel / television / holidays / computers / sports and whatever else the grumpy gang can think of that might create a bit of enjoyment to the few that actually enjoy life. Oh by the way ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR HEALTH AND ARE LIKELY TO HARM OR KILL YOU IN SOME WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Get Real and get back to normal life.

This world has gone CRAZY.

None of the above cause harm to anyone near by without a conscious effort on the part of the participant.

The residue of your drug habit causes harm to anyone in the same enclosed space.

No matter how you try to dress it up, and scapegoat other activities, smoking kills non smokers in their thousands every year.

Be pleased that the successive governments in this and other countries are too weak willed, and too keen to placate the smoking voters, to do the only honest and sensible thing and ban smoking all together. They keep spouting about banning smoking in public spaces for health reasons, and increasing duty, for health reasons, but at the end of the day the harm it does requires a total ban.

If they were honest they would make tobacco a controlled drug, require current addicts to register as such, provide cigarrettes free of charge to such registered users, and allow the filthy stinking habit to die with it's foolish participants.

However due to their lack of moral fibre they have simply given smokers and non-smokers a level playing field in public places. Everyone can now go into a public enclosed space and breathe properly. Anyone wishing to inhale smoke now has to make a conscious choice to do so.

The slightly under one third of the population that wish to smoke can no longer force any non-smoker that wishes to enter a public building to breathe in the foul and lethal fumes.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Nick - I appreciate all you say. You are obviously one of our younger posters who do not remember the cigarette ads in the 50's, 60's and even in the early 70's. Smoking was glamourised - all the big films featured the stars smoking! The public in those days were encouraged to smoke!

As to it being a filthy habit today, I will agree with that statement. HOWEVER, cigarettes ARE addictive (that has been proved!) and not everyone can rid themselves of a habit that the government (never mind which parties) APPROVED (tacitly).

Todays government put forward a paper which pleased both the smokers and the non-smokers by having separate establishments for both!

DONE DEAL!!!

The government then reneged on that agreement and banned ALL smoking, including drink only pubs, Mens clubs, and nightclubs (but not in the houses of parliament! Hmmmmmmmmmm)

You can smoke if you are an inmate in jail, but not if you are a jailer??????

If the government had stuck to the original idea this debate would never take place!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Nick - I appreciate all you say. You are obviously one of our younger posters who do not remember the cigarette ads in the 50's, 60's and even in the early 70's. Smoking was glamourised - all the big films featured the stars smoking! The public in those days were encouraged to smoke!

As to it being a filthy habit today, I will agree with that statement. HOWEVER, cigarettes ARE addictive (that has been proved!) and not everyone can rid themselves of a habit that the government (never mind which parties) APPROVED (tacitly).

Todays government put forward a paper which pleased both the smokers and the non-smokers by having separate establishments for both!

DONE DEAL!!!

The government then reneged on that agreement and banned ALL smoking, including drink only pubs, Mens clubs, and nightclubs (but not in the houses of parliament! Hmmmmmmmmmm)

You can smoke if you are an inmate in jail, but not if you are a jailer??????

If the government had stuck to the original idea this debate would never take place!!

:lol: I may be younger than some, but at near as damn it 46 I'm hardly one of the younger posters! :rolleyes:

I well remember the adverts, fortunately I never fell for them. That is the only reason that I think current smokers should be allowed to obtain their drug of choice free of charge from the state. No-one else should ever have the option of legally starting to smoke.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

None of the above cause harm to anyone near by without a conscious effort on the part of the participant.

The residue of your drug habit causes harm to anyone in the same enclosed space.

No matter how you try to dress it up, and scapegoat other activities, smoking kills non smokers in their thousands every year.

Exactly!!!

Heroin, crack cocaine and other drug addicts don't have a direct effect on the physical health of those with whom they live and work. On the social and emotional side that's another issue of course.

However cigarette smokers do have an effect on the health and well-being of those around them and I for one have chosen not to smoke. I therefore do not wish to be in a room where I'll be forced to inhale tobacco smoke.

Steve made the point of smokers being drug addicts. One incident that brought that home to be very forcibly was back in 1984 whilst waiting for a return flight to UK from Boston. The plane we were due to travel on had to be withdrawn due to mechanical problems and therefore a short-bodied 747 was brought in to replace it. All the the seats had to be re-allocated and at that time there was still both smoking and non-smoking seats . The smoking seats soon filled up and the woman in front of me wanted a smoking seat and was told that if she wanted to go on that flight she would have to accept non-smoking. She went ballistic and was told politely that she either went non-smoking or waited for a later flight. She waited!!!!

As a teacher I was often subjected to huge wafts of stale cigarette smoke when opening children's reading bags. Their reading books stank and one can only guess at what it was like inside their homes.

The one thing that upsets me more than anything however is young children and babies being exposed to passive smoking. The sight of a pregnant mother puffing away makes me so angry. Everyone shouts loudly about the rights of the unborn child when discussing abortion. What about a baby's right to grow in a smoke-free womb?

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

Slightly back to the original point.

*Profit warnings hit six-year high

"Ernst & Young said wet weather and "regulatory changes" like the smoking ban were largely to blame for deterring drinkers."

"Overall in 2007, leisure industry, particularly gaming, pub and restaurant chains, issued a total of 21 warnings, up 40% from 2006."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7185603.stm

Edited by *Ant*

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Peggy - I have no argument against your posting. As usual, spot on! However - my remarks as to how the government reneged on the idea of smoking/no smoking areas/pubs still stands!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription