Mental illness

Dave H

My mrs is happy taking carbamazepine (full dose now )for her epilepsy but its far from perfect and she still has a few major ones and lots of mini ones but in the past trying others zombies had more of a life

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Steve that must of been harder to write than any of us can ever know mate

So true, only those of us who have lost a loved one to sudden death can even have an inkling - dreadful news - Steve W you have pm.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

My mrs is happy taking carbamazepine (full dose now )for her epilepsy but its far from perfect

Hopefully she's having her liver function checked out at least monthly.

My wife decided not to take Carbamazepine, too many likely problems, not the least of which is what it's actually intended for and how it achieves it:-

"Carbamazepine is an anticonvulsant. It works by decreasing nerve impulses"

That's really useful when the big problem with MS is getting the impulses from the brain through the nerves to the muscles.

They are just too willing to keep throwing stuff down her throat in the hope that one of them might do some good eventually.

Hopefully she's having her liver function checked out at least monthly.

My wife decided not to take Carbamazepine, too many likely problems, not the least of which is what it's actually intended for and how it achieves it:-

"Carbamazepine is an anticonvulsant. It works by decreasing nerve impulses"

That's really useful when the big problem with MS is getting the impulses from the brain through the nerves to the muscles.

They are just too willing to keep throwing stuff down her throat in the hope that one of them might do some good eventually.

Its far cheaper to treat symptoms than causes ,mind you shes had so many scans but they lose interest when its not obvious what the cause is ,far more worried her dependence on co-codamol than carbamazepine

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Some of the off-label uses of antidepressants are very useful, but they are very powerful psychoactive drugs. My mother has also been given Amitriptyline for postherpetic neuralgia but she was keen to get off it ASAP. My wife was given another AD years and years ago by the migraine clinic - again, an effective off-label use, but how safe is it? She found that it made her intolerably tired.

My concern now, not that it matters a damn thing after the event, is whether she was offered any therapy other than ever increasing doses of stronger antidepressants, and whether she was urged to tell someone what she was going through. I know doctors have to respect patient confidentiality and can't just go blabbing to family about someone's problems, but this is a case where finding a way to involve others could have saved a life.

All,

I have for years taken oxcarbazepine (Tryliptal sp) off label. Never had a hint of epilepsy in my life. My shrink correctly suggested is intercepts the faster and faster reoccurring thoughts in my mind that are so aggravating, tiring and space consuming. Works for me in combination with other drugs. He says the uncontrollable thoughts may just be a mental form of epilepsy. Little do we know for sure.

Phone

Sometimes the side effects of drugs are not all bad although i am not sprouting hair like an ape on my second attempt at finesteride (the not so nice side effects stopped me last time )