why use bivvys?

Peter M

If one of my bailiffs did this he'd very soon be an ex-bailiff! Luckilly my guys are excellent and use their brains and their experience.

Leaving rods unattended is always a difficult one to interpret. Rather than a distance limit, I've now settled for a time limit of 10 seconds.

Many of the swims at Wingham are a long way apart and so I rarely get members leaving their rods to visit other anglers. One did and was out of sight. I reeled all his rods in and was just taking the last bait off the hook when he rushed up. He there and then lost his syndicate place. It was only his second trip and so it was an expensive ticket!

So if Linford Christie fished there, he could be about 100yds away then Steve. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
So if Linford Christie fished there, he could be about 100yds away then Steve. :D

John.

If it was dark you wouldn't see him anyway :o

Gozzer the bolt rig and alarms at least allow you to empty your bladder knowing that if you do get a bite you'll deffo not miss it and the fish won't get deep hooked.....just one point in that set up's favour ;)

If it was dark you wouldn't see him anyway :o

Gozzer the bolt rig and alarms at least allow you to empty your bladder knowing that if you do get a bite you'll deffo not miss it and the fish won't get deep hooked.....just one point in that set up's favour ;)

Not if the fish doesn't move Tigger. ;)

But if that's a good selling point, then why bother about being away from the swim?

If the water is relatively snag free, then you could go for a couple of pints and a meal, and by your reckoning no harm would be done. The fish would be hooked cleanly, and just waiting for you to reel it in. :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer, are you saying that a fish will sit still with a hook in its lip for long periods? How long is this? and how do any of us know whether a fish has done that before moving off? (they don't all bolt)

If it doesn't move then it will be there when you eventually decide to wind in..........

Re the bivvy question, most are designed to be tough, unobtrusive and long lasting. For what it is worth I use a JRC Stealth. Pops up in a couple of seconds, a few more to peg it down, and keeps the wind and rain off when needed.

I put mine up on Monday because of the rain, today I didn't bother as I was in a swim out of the wind.

I would hate to see the spread of those little garish domes all around the lakes...................

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest tigger
The fish would be hooked cleanly

John.

I've no doubt that it would be hooked cleanly but if your not a ridiculous distance away then you'll hear your alarms doing what they're suposed to do "Alarm You" that there's a fish on your line....so go reel it in. I never mentioned going to the boozer/chippy whatever your just being a bit silly now. Come on now John , how old are you m8 :o ....old :P:D

Well unlike den i am not fussed about tents,domes,or bivvys.surrounding the lakes and ponds you can fish from a caravan for all i care.Personaly the only thing i hate is people that dont respect the countryside around us.However i am very very gratefull for the amount of choice we have.

Very good question.

I have used all sorts off tents through all weathers. I have found even some cheaper tents can do just the same as a 100 quid bivvy, but it isn’t the same. Bivvys can hold very strong winds and are very warm. I think more often or not though its just the re-insurance to know if there’s bad winds and heavy storms that you haven’t got to worry about your tent.

Matty

mysig333323dj5.jpg

If you are the sort of pervert that actively enjoys sitting out all night in the wind and rain, with all your kit getting soaking wet and covered in mud, then good look to you. Personally, I prefer to stay warm and comfortable, rather than being an unpaid volunteer for arthritis research. I sat out all night under a 42" umbrella many times in my teens, almost dying of exposure in the process. If I go fishing I want to enjoy myself, not take part in an endurance test.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Matty, you may not mind what you have to look at at across the lake, most of us do, and that is why most clubs don't allow garish dome tents. We have one or two who insist on parking their motor caravans beside the lake, they then erect a side awning and out come the canvas fold up seats and picnic tables...what a bloody eyesore. That is not "showing respect"

Bivvies/oval brollies etc have evolved with the idea that they are pretty unobtrusive, which is how most of us want to keep it.

I started my camping/weekend fishing in the early 1950's and made my own first tent. Dyed it green to blend in.

Plenty of good reasonably priced brollies around now..........

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Matty, you may not mind what you have to look at at across the lake, most of us do, and that is why most clubs don't allow garish dome tents. We have one or two who insist on parking their motor caravans beside the lake, they then erect a side awning and out come the canvas fold up seats and picnic tables...what a bloody eyesore. That is not "showing respect"

Bivvies/oval brollies etc have evolved with the idea that they are pretty unobtrusive, which is how most of us want to keep it.

I started my camping/weekend fishing in the early 1950's and made my own first tent. Dyed it green to blend in.

Plenty of good reasonably priced brollies around now..........

Den

den didn't our club used to have a rule about only having green tents/bivvys a few years back ? i'm sure ive seen it somewhere before but its not in the latest rules ? i remember sitting on monk lakes years ago opposite some bloke with a flouro pink tent. i ended up turning my bivvy round so i didn't have to sit looking at it all day !