why use bivvys?

Peter M

Gozzer, are you saying that a fish will sit still with a hook in its lip for long periods? How long is this? and how do any of us know whether a fish has done that before moving off? (they don't all bolt)

If it doesn't move then it will be there when you eventually decide to wind in..........

Den

Den, what I said was in reply to tiggers post,

Gozzer the bolt rig and alarms at least allow you to empty your bladder knowing that if you do get a bite you'll deffo not miss it and the fish won't get deep hooked.....just one point in that set up's favour

Like you say they don't all bolt, so if a fish don't move, then no matter what your rig, there's still a chance of a deep hooked fish (IMO).

I've no doubt that it would be hooked cleanly but if your not a ridiculous distance away then you'll hear your alarms doing what they're suposed to do "Alarm You" that there's a fish on your line....so go reel it in. I never mentioned going to the boozer/chippy whatever your just being a bit silly now. Come on now John , how old are you m8 ....old

Your missing the point of your own post tigger.

Your 'selling point' was that with this rig you have no doubt that the fish would be hooked cleanly.

So if it's a relatively snag free water, then it would come to no harm, would it?

It would make no difference if you took 10 seconds, 10 minutes or whatever to pick up your rod, the fish would still be lip hooked.

I presume that's why some remote alarms have a range of up to 500 metres, (even Den's have a range of 150metres ;) )

Remember this is you trying to convince me of the value of this method.

I don't use 'bolt' or any other self hooking rig. Nor do I sleep while fishing, preferring to be by my rod while the baits in the water, (except for the occasional call of nature :rolleyes: ).

This is all because I stated that I believe, that someone asleep, watching telly or just sheltering from the cold in a bivvy, is no more in attendance of their rods, than someone who goes for a 20-30 yd walk up the bank, (with a remote :) ), but one is illegal and the other is accepted as the norm.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
Like you say they don't all bolt, so if a fish don't move, then no matter what your rig, there's still a chance of a deep hooked fish (IMO).

John.

Well if you only have a 3 inch hooklength and a fish big enough to take a large bait then in the worst senario it aint gonna get very deep hooked now is it ?

:offtopic:

To get back on topic, for years now I've used a normal dome tent when session fishing simply because they seem to be better made as well as being far cheaper than equivalent bivvies (though I've yet to see a 3-man bivvie). Some venues however do not allow the use of tents. Really I cannot see the difference. However, because one of the lakes I fish does not allow tents, I've had to invest in a cheap bivvie for when I do overnight sessions.

I remember someone (in America?) some years ago posted a photo of a huge tent with a built in garage and a wood-burning stove. If anyone has a copy of the photo please post it up on here, I lost my copy and would like to see it again....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I'll use a shelter if I have to and if I am staying in one swim for the day but only if it's raining..I cannot sleep though as I have to watch my floats or throw lures!

TBH hauling up in one spot isn't really my style and it definately doesn't suit the river where moving is the way to catch.

The best purchase I ever made was this Pop Up Bivvy, they said it would erect in seconds and I thought "Ive heard geese fart before" but it really does, I have weathered storms in it, I must add I only use it as a day shelter, but it justs folds down in one action and comes in a carry bag the size of a keep net

When I bought it about 12 years ago it was about £35, its not that bad now

Here's the link

http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/bivvy/index.htm

Can you get a bed chair in there. It looks a bit small for an overnighter.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

:offtopic:

Sorry Mr Vitae John, my fault. But it's still connected in a way. :D

Really it's 'off forum'. Shouldn't it be in the 'Session fishing' section. :rolleyes:

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

you can just get two in the gardener (not flat but in a reclining pose and only one of these modern luxury beds would go in) but nothing else and ofcourse the inside angler would have to be on very freindly terms to roll over you to get out (or stirs something in you as he does that goes on to make you far more freindly ;) )

perfect for a weekend for one but probably too small for a weeks supply of beer and pies :D

i used to let the mrs sleep in there with all the gear and stay outside on a recliner with a sleeping bag over me !if it rained the chair was put up in the usual position and put in the bivvy to sit on and my feet rested on my tackle box.

trouble with the design was the door sloped inwards so even rain coming straight down came in with it open ,no flyscreen or even a window in the door and being single skinned nylon it got condensation .you could use the door stretched out as a shade or awning but it wasn't very successful

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I don't own a bed chair so I have no way of knowing, as I said I don't use it for overnighting, I do know I can lay down in it corner to corner because I thought if I wanted to overnight I could just do it with a sleeping bag.

I think Chesters has the best explanation

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

And another reasonable alternative for £40

http://www.millets.co.uk/Camping/Tents/Pop...uct/094591.aspx

Pop up and two man so should be plenty of romm for one.

i tell you what that looks the one, comes in green as well. who knows they may do camo in the future :D. thanks for all the replys guys.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/