why use bivvys?

Peter M

folowing on from another thread i got to thinking. most bivvys sold in fishing shops and on line cost raound 80 quid upwards. yet argos, tescos and local camping shops sell dome tents for around 20 quid. if you only want to go carp fishing in the summer what advantage does the more expensive bivvy have. Or (as i suspect) this is aimed at the tackle tart in all of us. :P

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DONT mention tents :D:o

old boy uses a cheap shelter type down the pond for his mrs ,they are fine in all weathers except in a wind in the face day ,you spend your money how you see fit.

had you posted on the carp part no doupt hydroscopic head would be on everyones lips etc :D;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

folowing on from another thread i got to thinking. most bivvys sold in fishing shops and on line cost raound 80 quid upwards. yet argos, tescos and local camping shops sell dome tents for around 20 quid. if you only want to go carp fishing in the summer what advantage does the more expensive bivvy have. Or (as i suspect) this is aimed at the tackle tart in all of us. :P

I was thinking along similar lines when I read that thread. The Tescos £20 dome tent looks ok and I'll be popping along to my local store to have a look. I'm pretty sure the material won't be as heavyweight as a bivvy and the ground sheet probably couldn't withstand five days of welly clad feet but as you say for occasional summmer use it should be fine.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I have the tesco brand bivvy , its a cpl of years old now and apart from one occasion when the wind really got up have found it more than satisfactory. on the occasion with the wind it buckled a bit but it never broke.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Guest J.Iddon

For me its mainly because they take so long to set up and pack away.

Most of my sessions are after work and I really cant be arsed or have the time with threading poles and erecting a tent.....dont get me started on puting them away! It seems tent makers like to make there bags so small that it looks good in the shop but takes a magician to get it back in the fecking bag lol. Same with sleeping bags!

I can get up my STI in a couple of minutes. I do have a tent, Quechua 2 second and its good and really quick to set up but it can be abit fumbly getting at night!

ATB,

Josh

I've used my old dome tent loads of times in preference to a bivvy, either just the outer shell for an overnight shelter or with the inner tent for a few days sleeping. The secret to packing sleeping bags and the outer shell of a tent is not to try to roll them up neat, just ram them into the bag!

The bivvy was concocted to extract money from carp anglers then a few pikers started to use them The funniest thing Isaw was two blokes on Cudmore fishing stood up out of toilet tents

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

The bivvy was concocted to extract money from carp anglers then a few pikers started to use them The funniest thing Isaw was two blokes on Cudmore fishing stood up out of toilet tents

yeah right.

tackle manufacturers go to the trouble of designing and making specific products specifically to rip us off :rolleyes:

If you think a £20 dome tent from Argos/ Tesco etc is suitable long term, then best of luck to you as you will eventually have a really miserable night when your tent gets destroyed by the elements.

Been there, done that. Worn the soaking wet T shirt :rolleyes:

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

The best purchase I ever made was this Pop Up Bivvy, they said it would erect in seconds and I thought "Ive heard geese fart before" but it really does, I have weathered storms in it, I must add I only use it as a day shelter, but it justs folds down in one action and comes in a carry bag the size of a keep net

When I bought it about 12 years ago it was about £35, its not that bad now

Here's the link

http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/bivvy/index.htm

Edited by Team Man

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive