Least favourite fishing month?

Steve Burke

What's your least favourite fishing month?

Mine's November, in fact it's my least favourite time of year full stop when it suddenly gets dark earlier.

What I especially don't like in November is the first cold snap of the year. Once it warms up again carp often come madly on feed for a few days, but getting the timing right can be difficult.

Carp will then move to their winter quarters where they're looking for stability. In particular they don't seem to like undertow in the winter, whereas they do in summer.

On the other hand November can be an excellent month for perch, especially on mild, drizzly days with poor light.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Probably February ,i dont fish in the winter anymore other than a quick trip to the river over the field but february just hasnt anything going for it ,come march and the close season and i find it the best time until july then its to hot .

I am getting rather fussy in my old age everything revolves around something else so actually fishing confined to half an hour each side of bailiffing ,the good bit is though i carry everything i need in a bag rather than a box of old.

My autumn through winter until march is detecting time lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hmm, late March/early April can be hard if it's a cold spring - the rivers have closed for coarse fish, there isn't enough fly life to wake the trout up, the summer species on the stillwaters are still torpid and the shore fishing is basically flatties. But things are starting to rev up and at least you have the expectation that by the end of April things will be into their swing.

Steve Burke,

I too would go with November. To early to go anywhere for the winter. Daylight Savings Time goes away. Doesn't mean much to the Brits I suppose but I don't especially like turkey and we always have about 20 lbs per person in November. I have to gear-up to spend way to much money on Christmas.

From a fishing aspect, we have a variety of options, even if you are a carp fisherman. November is an expensive month to carp fish in - short sessions - slim odds - uncomfortable temperatures - hard on equipment.

Yep - pass on November

Phone

I don't really have a 'least' favourite month, I get to go so little these days that I grab each chance with both hands. I just temper my expectations to suit the conditions, and I have had some nice surprises over the years. I don't usually fish in what was the old closed season, so those months are out. Most of the stillwaters around me have been ruined, so it's mainly the rivers, with the odd trip to a canal, if conditions dictate it.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

You are absolutely right. Just the other day I went "fishing". I posted a new thread about an underwater drone I saw down at the river. Did I mention I didn't have so much as a rod and reel with me. Truck just turned onto the access road all by itself.

Phone

• Like 1

Gozzer,

You are absolutely right. Just the other day I went "fishing". I posted a new thread about an underwater drone I saw down at the river. Did I mention I didn't have so much as a rod and reel with me. Truck just turned onto the access road all by itself.

Phone

I know what you mean Phone, I've had some great days by the water without my fishing gear. Learned a great deal just watching fish, and the water.

If I count that as 'fishing', then most of the colder months are pretty useless, and therefore my least favourite.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

That great angling writer, William Caine had the answer.....

After starting his year with pike in February, salmon in March, trout in April etc etc, he finished in style-

".....November - I stay in town, December - I stay indoors, January - I stay in bed"

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

:)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net