Catch reports

Si...

• 2 weeks later...

Went fishing this morning.  In the absence of access to the River Xingu or the Pacific Ocean I had to make do with a local pond,     

Made up about a couple of pints  of loose feed - sweetcorn and live maggots ,  Which gave me three  options  on the hook - maggot, corn or one of each - arranged to resemble a young planorbis snail.   Fished a  four foot deep swim close to the bank and a morning's fishing produced a mixed bag of roach, crucians, gudgeon, perch and bream.    Nothing over half a pound, but par for the course,  time to go home for lunch.    However, I was playing one last long shot  ( for the fifth time this summer ) based on what I knew about  feeding times of the bigger perch  Put on a bigger bait (how many maggots can you get on a size 16 hook ?)  fished close to the bank  on the edge of my swim. ................

YES    !!          A two-pound-plus perch from a club water with a record of 2-15  set fourteen years ago     

Not a Xingu payara nor a Pacific sailfish, but you can only catch the fish in front of you.

Got a pic which was rejected as "too big" for here - is there a way round that ?

PS   Yes there is shrunk the pic a bit

bin?csrf=pcg7adbKub0Gm6rGDVH5kg&r=%7B%22method%22%3A%22mail.message.attachment.getPart%22%2C%22params%22%3A%7B%22accountId%22%3A%22%22%2C%22folder%22%3A%22INBOX%22%2C%22uid%22%3A269207%2C%22part%22%3A%221%22%2C%22wantsTranscoding%22%3Afalse%7D%7D

Shrunk perch pic.jpg

Edited by Vagabond
added pic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Nice one Dave, sounds like a great session 😎.

I'm curious, on your travels to south america, did you ever catch any caribe piranhas?

I have waited 3yrs (due to covid nonsense) to get hold of some 2cm ones from veneusela.  Within 5 weeks they have grown to be a few inches long!

I had to get shut of my original ones because they grew too big for my tank and it looks as though these will be going back to the shop in the not to distant future if they keep growing so quickly.

They are a very aggressive species, much more so the the natterie which look similar in appearence.

Hi Tigger   I don't know the caribe piranha it comes from the R Orinoco and places north where I have not fished.  There are many species of piranha (I must have caught at least eight different species) but will dig out my records tomorrow and give you a bit more detail,.. What I do know is that several species grow to over 2lb - I've caught 'em.   The biggest was a black piranha of 4 lb.    So you need a bigger tank as you would not fancy sharing your bath with piranha that size.

• Haha 1

RNLI Governor

Apparently these caribe and the piraya piranha are the largest/heaviest of the piranhas.  I think they grow to 20 plus inches and you will know they are quite chunky so might weigh a few pounds.

I knew you had caught a few species of them, be interesting to see what you come across in your records Dave.

River Hi   Have now dug out the piranha records and find I have caught ten different sorts.  Whether they are all counted as separate species depends on which taxanomic  "expert" you believe,  Its a bit like trout used to be in the nineteenth century.  Nowadays ferox, seatrout, gillaroo, brown and sonaghan are all treated as subspecies of trout. Latimeria and I spent some time trying to make sense of the nomenclature but gave up as life is too short.   Taxonomy is only a man-made system after all.

Anyway, here they are   

River  Napo, Oxbow lake   Red-eyed, white belly spilopleura

Amazon delta,  White-eyed, red belly   nattereri

River Xingu  Red-eyed black tail  "Preta" rhombeus

R Xingu   Gold-cheeked White-eyed  "Camari"  serrulatus

River Tele Pires  Go[d-cheeked red-eyed "Shibito" humeralis

R Tele Piires Red-eyed spotteg   telepiri

R Aquidauna  White-eyed yellow headed  paraguayensis

R Aquidauna  Speckled     "Catarina"  maculatus

Pantanal lagoon   Spotted aqipensis

I don' t know how many of the specific names are valid ! !

I had the Xingu "Preta" to 4 lb and three other different sorts to 2 lb  most of the rest  were average about 4 oz

Piranhas are the  big problem if you are trying to catch something else,  They make excellent soup.  Every cook in Brazil makes the best piranha soup in the world -and each is unique

Here is the 4 lb black it wentback but some of the others did not the red-bellied bunch made soup for everyone on the ha

450400435_Brazil044.thumb.jpg.2f0bfd439b17f176d8d0866548e911b1.jpgciendaPiranhadish.thumb.jpg.cff2315a9d892e9e94ac99bfb8e7699e.jpg

Potential soup.jpg

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

I had a few red belly in a 6ft tank as for dangerous human eating monsters said in hushed voices by the unknowing they decided panicking  and dashing about bashing their noses bloody was the norm everytime a shadow crossed their vision ,pretty poor for aquarists IMHO on the other hand a black pacu (yes i know its not a piranha) outgrew its tank and was donated to Birdworld that was a fine specimen to keep .

In the late 80's i bought the entire fish section from Badshot lea garden center (i dont do things by halves) and concentrated on Geophargus and odd bits and bobs from south america and african cichlids got bored after a year of trying to turn tap water into decent water suitable for fish (so easy today) i never recouped my investment  suddenly what was rare fish when i started suddenly became low valued and common dashing my hopes of cornering the market .

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 7:01 AM, S63 said:

The way round that is to catch a smaller perch! Well done on a lovely stripey.

I use an app that compresses an image, this one is for IOS but there will be equivalent for android.

Check out this app https://apps.apple.com/app/id1476989420?mt=8

Alternatively, just hover the mouse over your photo' & Right Click, 

Select "Open With", then select "Microsoft Picture Manager" - All Left clicks from now on.

Click "Edit Pictures" in the top Tool Bar.

Then, click "Compress Image" & select "Documents" on the right of screen. Then Save.

A reminder comes up to Save if you haven't Saved it.

You can then Copy & Paste it to A.N. with no loss of size or apparent picture quality.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• 9 months later...

On Friday we had a few hours in the evening (approx 5:30pm till 9pm) with my son on our clubs remote estate lake and we found that we had the lake all to ourselves; although another member did turn up at around 8pm to fish through the night.

We surmised that the sweltering heat weve been having had probably put the fish off feeding a bit.

My son Stuart had two mirror Carp; an 11lb plus one and a 16lb plus one; and I had one mirror Carp although it was a beauty of 21½lb so I was well satisfied.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)