Don't Throw Away Old Socks!!

Martin56

Cut the "Toe Ends" off old, thinish socks & you have Mitts!!

Fold 'em back to loose feed/tie hooks etc & pull 'em forward to keep ya pandies nice n warm!! And still have some dexterity when "Striking"

Wear them with the Cuff towards the wrist for longer life.

DSCN2006.JPG

DSCN2007.JPG

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Alas, I am now of an age where the best way to keep warm while fisting, is to only go fishing in the summer.

For those with the required resources, I also recommend flying to the tropics and fishing there.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Same here, as a youth i had no fear of travelling many miles to find ponds iced up and unfishable and on other times my son and i crammed into a tiny swim as it was the only one without ice on our pike fishing escapades but thats long in the past i am a fair weather fisherman now .I did my stints of madness camped out in snow storms with line frozen into ice and crystals forming as you wound in in your rod rings.

As to fishing abroad i once went on a truly miserable trip to ireland ,plenty of fish but more rain and mud than a Pakistani flood zone.The thought of going further holds no attraction how on earth could you not see foreigners at least back home i can see no-one at all fishing the odd deer is about the most intrusion i need .

No fear of cold or even rain the worst was packing up wet then having to unpack and dry everything on getting home ,now i can simply grab a rod a bag and landing net and some bread go and be back in a hour and sit in the warm and curse trout angling clubs and the EA for ****ing up the local river and all for free

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I used to fish in all weathers even at night in freezing cold weather huddled up under a brollie or a thin bivvie  however now I’m 73 and my bones now seize up in low temperatures I don’t fish in the real cold weather anymore; but if the temp is circa 10 deg C or above then I might still go piking in a sheltered bay or go Chub & Barbel Fishing on my local stream, but I’ll be wearing my electric waistcoat which is battery heated, plus my neoprene fishing gloves and/or a warm hooded fishing jacket over my waistcoat. 😄

When I used to regularly fish in ice cold weather I occasionally used to wear artificial fur lined long johns under my trousers which I was issued with from where I worked; and some anglers I knew wore a pair of women’s tights under their jeans to keep them warm (and prayed that they weren’t involved in a car accident 🤣)

When I served in the RN we got issued with inflatable gloves when we were at sea in the Artic and Antarctic areas.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I do own a set of ex military mittens. GorTex covers and very heavy duty insulation, but handling a shovel is about the limit of dexterity available while wearing them.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

15 hours ago, Ken L said:

Alas, I am now of an age where the best way to keep warm while fisting, is to only go fishing in the summer.

For those with the required resources, I also recommend flying to the tropics and fishing there.

Good advice.  Bin there ,still doing it.😁

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Reminds me of long ago on a freezing day at Cutmill Pond (strangely called the Tarn pond now) 3/4 iced over and dead baits doing nothing so i set up a float rod (an Apollo Taperflash for the old guys 😉) and tried to catch some tiddlers in the unfrozen area under the trees near the inlet . Surprisingly i got a bite and struck but unfortunately forgot about the trees 😥

Ofcourse the line got tangled out of reach and despite attempts to use the rod tip standing on tippy toes to untangle it i had to go for a break .Bugger just as the line broke the tip section of the rod came out (old rods had problems either ferrules were to tight and you needed a second party to get them apart or they rattled loose and turned or came loose) ofcourse the tip fell in the water despite it tangling over my head on the bank . i spent a very long time ball deep in freezing water trying to locate it . Being steel it had sunk like a stone and hidden itself in the silt .Today ofcourse you could get it with a magnet but then it was feel with your bare foot and lift everything up to see what it was ,eventually the bugger turned up but i made the excuse my sperm having frozen to death it was time to pack up and bugger off home .

Still got the rod it sits in the loft with its relations (i have 3 taperflashes they are surprisingly light compared to some rods of the time) in a tall locker on its side with the shelf removed where my old rods live ,its mice resistant so hopefully all will be intact when my son bungs them in a skip after i am discovered nibbled by mice myself when i croak.

• Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

4 hours ago, *Ant* said:

I'm still trying to get over the shock that Ken is concerned about keeping warm whilst "fisting". :huh: :D

Well spotted 😁