Mullet on bread

The Flying Tench

I was recently on hols in Menorca, and briefly fished the marina at Cala Galdana. If you threw in a few bits of bread there was a feeding frenzy - mullet (I think), sea bream, and other species. Every now and then 'woosh' something bigger came up from below, probably mullet. I didn't stay long for various reasons, not least that my bad back wasn't happy with me not having a chair. But thinking of the future, what would be the best way to stop the little ones getting to the bait first? Will mullet take a fairly solid blob of breadpaste? Or even a boilie?

john clarke

Hi John.

I've always fished simple breadflake under a float and fed mashed bread. Getting plagued by little ones is rarely a problem in the UK. Never heard of people fishing boilies, but some seem to do okay with corn.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I did try a squid (If I remember correct) boilie many years ago whilst fishing for mullet in a harbour, think it was Weymouth. Think I had bites but didn't manage to hook any. As Ken mentioned, I always did ok with a chunk of bread fished under a float or free lined in a cloud of mashed bread.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Make sure you have read all the signage at Marinas abroad!!

Every one that I can remember visiting says "No Fishing".

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

And don't forget that as Menorca is part of Spain, a licence is required to fish the salt.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

54 minutes ago, Ken L said:

And don't forget that as Menorca is part of Spainr, a licence is required to fish the salt.

Yep' 15 Euros for 5 years (OAP's) is for almost nothing. (They've upped it from 3 years)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Bread is very underated I have caught every UK fish I have ever caught on bread at some time , yes even pike and perch I presume they see it sinking and grab it instinctively?

As for mullet they are finiky at the best of times and catching them on anything hard ,I once saw one heading for the hills seeing a small feather drifting down towards the surface never mind a bit of bread ,only ever caught two small ones as I don't fish for them since I was a kid desperate to try to catch them in port Seton harbour long ago

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On 10/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, chesters1 said:

Bread is very underated I have caught every UK fish I have ever caught on bread at some time , yes even pike and perch I presume they see it sinking and grab it instinctively?

As for mullet they are finiky at the best of times and catching them on anything hard ,I once saw one heading for the hills seeing a small feather drifting down towards the surface never mind a bit of bread ,only ever caught two small ones as I don't fish for them since I was a kid desperate to try to catch them in port Seton harbour long ago

Chesters, I agree for coarse fish, but what about sea fish? That's what struck me as so surprising in Menorca, seeing other sea fish in addition to mullet going for the bread.

john clarke

On 10/10/2023 at 10:44 AM, The Flying Tench said:

Thanks everyone.

It was amazing the way such a variety of fish went for the bread just floating on the surface. I wonder why they don't in UK? You'd think they'd want the protein.

There’s not much protein in our ‘white’ bread which is why it’s banned on many park ponds in the UK nowadays. 🙂

I’ve caught a few Grey Mullet on bread flake but they can be very finicky at times. Our ships fishing team came third in a forces national sea match after catching a few mullet (and a few wrasse) off of the Plymouth sound breakwater once; using bread flake and small ragworm.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)