Mullet Watch 2004

Chippy

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WeymouthSean I have various spots I am fishing in the harbour. Perhaps we could swap marks as I only have to come from Wool so could easily fish with you some evenings. It depends how well you know the harbour as the best one is tricky to find so email me if you are interested matey

Guest sslatter

Finally found where the big fish are locally this year, and I'm papping it!

Went down at low tide with a float rod and controller setup, walked the bank, and saw some fish topping lazily, close in to the edge. A few handfuls of freebies later, and the whole swim was "going off", fish taking crust as if there were no tomorrow..and then, there it was: the "eight-pounder" that had been spotted nearby recently.

A huge but very canny fish, this one. Every piece of floating crust that it inspected, it first smashed with a hefty swipe of its tail. So every time it inspected one on my float setup, the bread was smashed off the hook, and then gobbled down. Once, it stopped with my crust in the front of its mouth, and just stayed there. I struck, and of course, pulled the bread out of its mouth. Typical. Anyway.. I know where it is, and tonight's the night! Just got to keep it quiet from all the locals.

BTW Saw a huge spent salmon/sea trout (couldn't tell the difference in the water) that in condition would be an upper double. Nearly made my eyes pop out when it appeared..at distance I thought it might be that elusive double-figure thicklip. Oh well.. one day. :D

[ 08. June 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Guest sslatter

..and the kid gets lucky..

Thicklip- 6lb 6oz; 22" (nose to fork), on flake touch-legered in about 10" of water. A real fat pig of a fish.

Back there tomorrow on the low. :D:D:D