Mullet Watch 2004

Chippy

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for a session to Sun Pier.

Handed my rod to an ex-colleauge who popped over during his lunchbreak and the float went under.

2lb 6oz

Got me rod back when he went back to work and had a 4lb 6oz fish - yippee!

Later had a 4lb 12oz fish - double yippeee!!

:)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

...and fine looking fish they were too.

Thanks for giving me a few hints and pointers on mullet Leon, much appreciated.

I thoroughly enjoyed not catching any - all apart from the sunburn I didn't realise I had until sitting in the car waiting to pick the Mrs. up at Chatham station... next time I'll take Baz Lermans advice more seriously.

Any chance we get to see the pics of the fish?

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Adz:

Any chance we get to see the pics of the fish?

This is the larger one.

Posted Image

I was trying a new hook pattern (Mustad Long Point - size 10) which are barbless.

These accounted for Dave's fish and both of mine.

All fish fought hard, the 4lb 12oz fish didn't show the usual initial confusion and went off like a rocket as soon as it was hooked, then used every trick in the book.

This was the first time that I'd nervously tried using barbless for mullet, and I'm now brimming with confidence in them :)

It certainly made unhooking (and untangling from the landing net) much easier.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 07. July 2004, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

My 6lb 40z was returned to the water? I never eat the mullet I catch?

Lost one about 4lb yesterday! Bad weather for the next couple of days so I won't be out for a while! Dab Hand still waiting for that invite to fish Poole Harbour and you to come down to Weymouth sometime?

WeymouthSean, it was the background(of a double glazed window and wheely bin), in your picture, that looked as though it was taken in your back garden, that confused me. :)

I have eaten smoked grey mullet in Spain and the US and they taste very nice.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Guest sslatter

Went out on Monday to the Hamble, and had a nice thick of 5.4.0 on a new 9BB Avon. (Nice float btw). Popped out yesterday evening to my local estuary and had another of 5.0.0, at 10.20 pm, in 8" of water under my rod tip.

Glad to see that everyone else is catching again too.

Last year I noticed that the mullet here did not really get interested in crust until around Midsummer's day ( a very hot spell last year). So this year, I expected more-or-less of the same, but they're still not really interested in it, not "mad for it" yet. Other locals are saying that there "aren't any mullet about this year" because they see so few fish topping..

..but they are there..for whatever reason, they're just not topping much at all yet.

Maybe it's just a local aberration, but I'd be interested if anybody else has noticed the same or similar on their patch.

Hello Cranfield. Yes I actually didn't have a camera on me but kept the mullet in a bucket and took it to my Dads house to be filmed. That is the reason for the surroundings. Kept the fish in a bucket for a good 15 minutes but it did swim off immediately once I had returned to the water.

My friend caught his very first mullet yesterday about 3lb and I took a 5 1/2 lb fish. Extremely good scrap on 4lb line!