Centre Pin Problem

76jerry

Off the bottom, I would get in a right mess winding the handles the wrong way and I pull the line when casting to start the drum revolving, not sure this would work the other way.

It has caused me to retire my near mint Daiwa Amorphous Whisker stick float rod as the butt guides are small and close to the blank. I brought another (very poor condition one), for £10 and put new guides on it. This has made a lovely rod.

All,

Top or bottom?

Pinheads are such an opinionated bunch about reels.

“It’s just a line holder.”

You ask Martin

Phone

Phone, when you wind in with your fixed spools and multipliers you wind forward don't you?.....well to have the line coming off the top of a pin means you have to rotate your hand backwards to wind in....how backward is that?... :huh:

There's a lot of strange ideas in angling and imo winding in backwards with a centrepin is one of 'em :wacko: .

Off the bottom, I would get in a right mess winding the handles the wrong way and I pull the line when casting to start the drum revolving, not sure this would work the other way.

It has caused me to retire my near mint Daiwa Amorphous Whisker stick float rod as the butt guides are small and close to the blank. I brought another (very poor condition one), for £10 and put new guides on it. This has made a lovely rod.

I think I remember you posting about your problem with the guides a while back. Strange really as I use a few older drennan rods which have short legged guides and it doesn't seem to make any difference at all in wet, windy or dry conditions. I was using a drennan im8 specimen float rod the other day in windy conditions which has very short legged guides and it was great. Makes you wonder if it could be something to do with the liners in the guides?

Always off the bottom for me, I can't imagine winding or batting the wrong way for any length of time.

i tried it once when my line was down to about 50 yards, I let it all out and wound it back in the wrong way - tried about three trots like that and hated it.

Phone, when you wind in with your fixed spools and multipliers you wind forward don't you?.....well to have the line coming off the top of a pin means you have to rotate your hand backwards to wind in....how backward is that?... :huh:

There's a lot of strange ideas in angling and imo winding in backwards with a centrepin is one of 'em :wacko: .

Not always it depends on the rod i occasionally use my abu spinning rod the correct way up in this case the reels are on top and wind backwards on the wrong hand ,luckily i have a roddy closed face reel thats ambidextrous that allowes me to wind the correct way on the correct side with the rod in the correct position

Multipliers are often used wrong handed nothing to stop you using pins ontop of the rod either i am sure theres no pin police ...or perhaps its self regulating?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Multipliers are often used wrong handed nothing to stop you using pins ontop of the rod either i am sure theres no pin police ...or perhaps its self regulating?

Narrh, won't work :mellow: .

If were gonn'a try making things alkward for ourselves why not try standing on one leg whilst using one arm, fish with your eyes shut etc....at least those type of things are more of a challenge :blink::wacko: .

I much prefer the line coming off the bottom, and having the handle turn in the same direction as It does for every other reel I use.

I have tried 'off the top' a couple of times and unless there was a strong or gusty side wind I couldn't find any real advantage that I can get from 'off the top' and I would use my closed face reel or my fixed spool reel if I had to put up with a strong or gusty side wind anyway.

I also find it a lot easier with my line coming 'off the bottom' when I'm using a Wallis cast; NB: I sometimes find the Wallis cast difficult enough without having to make it more difficult Lol.

It's only a personal preference, and there's no 'right' or 'wrong' way, but it's definately 'off the bottom' for me.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Tigger,

To complicate matters I'm dominate left handed. In truth the only reel similar to your "centre pins" I ever fished with is a similar reel for steelhead in the Northwest US. My understanding is, according to my Brit carp fishing buddies, is there is really no comparison.

Not exactly true. I learned to pole fish with a river willow and Coke bottle for a reel. Mine was fancy it had ferrels pinched from an old rod and slid under the willow bark. The Coke bottle was tied to the TOP of the pole with tyre inner tube strips. I caught some pretty sophisticated and intelligent fish on that rig.

Phone

Chesters1 made me say it - but true.