N-Tice Polony meat

Martin56

Vagabond,

It is not likely I am wrong. No doubt a portion of the 1+ meters was or could have been contaminated ground soil. I'm not sure all the waste had to be completely removed from the property (can't remember). Never the less I stand by the number. It was an enormous task.

Admittedly I was there for only a small portion of the task and then as a demonstration of "what can happen".

I'm not sure if your post is claiming it didn't happen or re-enforcing what an angler created tragedy such an event was.

Phone

Is that one cubic metre, or a layer of 1.0+ metres thick - one cubic metre I could believe but not a layer 1.0m thick.

@ Chesters - take your own spuds, I can't believe anyone uses them for bait any more, not even at Redmire.

Is that one cubic metre, or a layer of 1.0+ metres thick - one cubic metre I could believe but not a layer 1.0m thick.

@ Chesters - take your own spuds, I can't believe anyone uses them for bait any more, not even at Redmire.

Never had any luck with them either! par boiled is a microsecond to early or to late on the stove the damn things managed to fly in any direction except the ledgers

The only bait not mentioned in my line of three that ever got a reaction was sniffing a jar of preserved wheat i opened then forgot about for a few months ,even poking my finger into a "hibernating" (dead for months) pet hampster trying to nudge it awake in the spring smelt nothing like it !

For our younger members some of our exotic (then) critters used to think it was time to hibernate because poor people had cold houses ,nowadays they probably stay awake as most houses have heating .

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Gozzer,

Once? - you are getting forgetful. Here is your 2011 comment (also following Vagabond's 2011 disbelieving assessment)

"""""""""As to the 1 metre thick layer of luncheon meat covering the lake bed, that's the biggest piece of bovine excrement I've ever seen on here. Anglers would have to regularly tip it in from trucks to leave that amount!""""""""""""

At that time I blew you both off and referred you the DEFRA (unfortunately I don't now know what DEFRA means). I shall do the same today. If you are not a part of the solution you must be part of the problem. Many "older anglers" are.

Phone

D department

E entirely

F filled

with

R ridiculous

A arseoles

E equally

A arsesoles

T t*wat

A arseoles

T twice

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm not sure if your post is claiming it didn't happen or re-enforcing what an angler created tragedy such an event was.

Have re-read my post. It says what it means, and means what it says. Neither of your alternatives above is correct -

Rather I was seeking a rational explanation of the figures you quoted - it is clearly impossible to assert the depth of meat quoted as applying to the whole lake, but that depth in just a swim or two is certainly possible.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Gozzer,

Once? - you are getting forgetful. Here is your 2011 comment (also following Vagabond's 2011 disbelieving assessment)

"""""""""As to the 1 metre thick layer of luncheon meat covering the lake bed, that's the biggest piece of bovine excrement I've ever seen on here. Anglers would have to regularly tip it in from trucks to leave that amount!""""""""""""

At that time I blew you both off and referred you the DEFRA (unfortunately I don't now know what DEFRA means). I shall do the same today. If you are not a part of the solution you must be part of the problem. Many "older anglers" are.

Phone

Not sure what the "Once?" is about Phone.

For those not familiar with the thread, here it is, http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/4987248-carp-and-the-use-of-groundbait-ground-bait/?hl= bovine excrement

As for not believing that there was a 1metre + deep layer of luncheon meat covering the lake bed, then I still don't believe it.

If what you saw was the result of a 'bucket' on a dragline covering a large section of the lake, and it was meat mixed with mud/clay, etc, then maybe.

If you are not a part of the solution you must be part of the problem. Many "older anglers" are.

Spoken as a true, 'older' angler, a few years older than me I'll add. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Phone: in 1973 the building trade in the UK (and that includes me) was using the metric measuring system - the USA still doesn't use or understand it and many in the UK who learnt the Imperial system still don't understand the Metric system.

I've seen so many examples over the years of how normally sensible people don't understand the metric system. How about this one from a recipe, "slice your onions a half centimetre thick". There's no such thing as a half centimetre - it's 5mm, and yet this has survived being written, it's survived a proof reader and survived an editor and whoever else gets to check these things before being published because so many people don't understand the metric system.

There never was 1.3m of whatever on the bottom of the pond. There has been an uncorrected/unnoticed error in the report due to a lack of understanding of the metric measuring system and it's annotation - it's as simple as that.

13mm or 130mm I could believe, not 1300mm.

All,

My bad, I should never have brought that stupid pond up again. It was what it was - whatever that might have been. Fish were removed, water drained, a mountain of stinking crap containing mostly spoiled meat in various states was being removed. I was there when the mountain was being removed - the balance of the story is hearsay. Believe what you will.

Phone

If I use luncheon meat it's human stuff which is already too expensive, no way would I pay even higher prices for the gimmicky crap in tackle shops!

Edited by Tigger

There's no such thing as a half centimetre - it's 5mm,

Really ? The ruler in my desk is marked in half inches on one edge and half centimeters on the other. The half centimeter line is not labelled as such, but nor is it labelled 5mm - just a longer line than its immediate neighbours.,

5mm or 0,5 cm - surely it matters not. Much more serious are the people who do not realise both mean the same thing.

Are there "no such things" as half a dozen, half a crown, half a minute, half a pint (well OK, that's for cheapskates) ?

My education overlapped both imperial and metric systems and I am quite happy with either. However, I agree there is far too much misunderstanding of measurements. The most serious objection to the metric system is the frequency with which people who are supposed to have a grasp of science get the decimal point in the wrong place. - or even three places - I came across a professional nurse that did not know the difference between milligrams and micrograms.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...