Why not Carp??

me

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Waller:

Late up this morning then Terry :D ?

Actually, I did languish in duvetvillé until 05.30, now you mention it. Shameful!

Mind you, I've since done 5 miles with the dopey dog - did you get those articles I sent you BTW? - and I'll be out in the weather for hours tonight on a rabbit-lamping expedition.

Then it's off to Selsey at first light on Sunday morning to buy some freshly boiled whelks and crabs, followed by a photo-session and some family stuff in the afternoon. Guess who'll be falling asleep on the sofa? :rolleyes:

So, I think I've justified my slug-abed indulgence. Ner.

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Wordbender:

Wordbender:

Late up this morning then Terry :D ?

Actually, I did languish in duvetvillé until 05.30, now you mention it. Shameful!

Mind you, I've since done 5 miles with the dopey dog - did you get those articles I sent you BTW? - and I'll be out in the weather for hours tonight on a rabbit-lamping expedition.

Then it's off to Selsey at first light on Sunday morning to buy some freshly boiled whelks and crabs, followed by a photo-session and some family stuff in the afternoon. Guess who'll be falling asleep on the sofa? :rolleyes:

So, I think I've justified my slug-abed indulgence. Ner.

Terry :D

Another one with a busy day then!

Articles, what articles? Many thanks in advance though. If you have e-mailed me some am having a tad of a problem. Have gone onto BT Super Highway which is great, or was. BT have tied up with Yarhoo and e-mailed me four days ago to say I'd be off line for 48 hours for changes, and I'm still not up and running! I'll get my head round to sorting it, later. I do suffer acutely from roundtuitism. Whatever it is I'm looking forward to reading it, many thanks. I'm between coats of paint at the moment. A nice little earner of mine is making D.J consols and its the usual case of not raining but pouring at the moment.

Peter Waller:

Don't think we can blame any particular branch of our sport for this sort of behaviour

Very true Peter, and thinking about it my post should've read "...an idiot fishing for pike..." rather than "...a pike angler...".

"On handing these to the farmer (fishery owner) he mumbled "*****y noddies!!"

I wonder who the farmer (fishery owner), learnt that expression from ? :rolleyes:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Youve not replied Den so I will.My origonall post said that the modern carp scene was responsible for some terrible things.

I will reiterate again I have ,still do and will in the future fish for carp.All of the things you and others mention ie inconsiderate anglers,bad attitude etc is common in all walks of angling in fact all walks of life.I personnaly dont care about any of the bivvying up lark,the multi rod thing,the rights and wrongs of the ethics of trapping rather than fishing,the use of boillies or any one of the hundreds of things that cause contention not only in carping but angling in general.As long as the fish are ok and consideration shown for others it dont matter it is all horses for courses.

I have no problem with the fact that most young carpers have a photo album after a few seasons that will rival my own that took so many years.Im hope they enjoyed them just as much as I have enjoyed my own.The "modern carp scene" has enabled them to do this through both modern advances in tactics,tackle and bait etc,a much more open sharing of information and "a new out look to carp waters"

We are now getting to my point.The commercial fishery people(and Im not talking carp match lakes here)have been quick to take advantage of this need for big fish and big fish easily at that.I have no problem with creating instant carp fisheries out of nothing,no matter how false I personally find them because as I said this is just personal choice.Where my problem lies as both a carp angler and an all round angler is the wanton destruction (and no I dont think that is to strong a description) of allready established waters,both carp and non carp to make these instantgratification waters.You live in the same area as me Den so I shouldnt have to name any of the ones nearby.Not only have these waters been ruined for non carp anglers but for true carpers as well.You can create a new instant fishery any where but a natural established one (for any species) should be prized and protected.The "modern carp scene"has created the market the commercial fisheries have just supplied.

I can see your defending carp angling,although I dont feel it has to be defended,but surely you cant defend the likes of this.

You do me a great insult if you think that I am merely knocking.I accept the many short commings in all areas of our sport,I try as best as I can to right things.If we merely turn a blind eye then the future will be as the origonal poster (Nathan?) said.Once its gone its gone for ever.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

quote:

If we merely turn a blind eye then the future will be as the origonal poster (Nathan?) said.Once its gone its gone for ever.
I suppose you right Budgie. I never thought of that before i put this topic on.!!! :mad: :rolleyes::)

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

Poledark, I see where you're coming from, but there are a lot more unexploited waters than you think. And that includes carp waters.

But it particularly includes pike waters. In fact the only really good pike waters are the unexploited ones. Once the circus arrives, you can usually assume that subsequent sport will rapidly go downhill, because pike cannot tolerate being caught frequently, particularly by anglers who deep-hook them.

Incidentally, Nige Williams isn't a newcomer to the drain where he caught his 38 lb (and somebody else's 39...) pike. He banked a 27-12 from another stretch of the same venue in 1988. The same fish was later landed by Eddie Turner at 30-04 (1989-90).

Is there any truth in the rumour that Neville Fickling threw a wobbly because he had been baiting the stretch heavily with deadbaits... which is why the 39 was so heavy in the first place?

Getting back to carp... I know a lot of venues which are ridiculously unexploited. They are mostly rivers, drains and canals, but I know a few gravel pits too. I'm sure I'm not the only person who knows of the potential of these venues, but to succeed on them would take some work - and bivvy-based fishing might prove difficult.

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but do (most) carp anglers fish lakes known to hold big carp because they don't have the imagination to find something new for themselves? If that's the case, then fair enough, but that would explain why more and more holes in the ground are being stocked with instant-gratification big carp, to the detriment of other species.

Yews, I know there are truly pioneering carp types out there that find new waters, new baits, new rigs, new approaches. But they ain't half thin on the ground.

Fenboy

I can't quite understand how the failure to find your own virgin fishery is one of the evils of carp anglers.

I also suppose that I am one of the circus, and always have been. In my younger days I chased around quite a bit in order to catch big fish and I still see that as what almost every angler does.

Every time you go to a new venue there is the tingle of anticipation, and in my case on the pits I am fishing at the moment there is the tingle of another PB or lake record or "the first forty"..

The fisheries you are referring to Budgie were created to answer a DEMAND for top quality BIG carp fishing, and people travel from all over the south east and even Essex (?) to fish there.

Said concern have also transformed a virtual swamp into a new 25 acre lake and stocked it with yet more carp. Oh yes one or two of the locals have moaned but to be fair almost no one fished the place before.The fishrange in size from about 10lb up to a known 30+ (mine :D )

There is nothing to stop anyone buying a ticket and fishing for the pike, tench, bream (several doubles over the xmas) or the big cats that live in the lakes.

On that basis what is there to complain about? I have feeder fished for the bream, without any conflict and if I get a whisper of a big roach being caught then I may well have a go for one of them as well.

Granted regular netting keeps the head of bream down but that is the only possible complaint, and if yyou want 5lb bream then you only have to go down the road a litle way and you can get netsfull.

I have heard a lot of moans at first hand from pike anglers, mostly lure men, bemoaning the possible fate of one of "their" lakes and the Fact(?) that the new lessee might stock carp.

Despite assurances to the contrary these rumours still persist. So what if he does stock carp, and what if some of them are big fish, how will this affect the lure men? I can tell you that the tenchfishers are not worried, nor the bream men. Maybe it is because it may restrict the lure men from wandering the banks and casting where ever they want to because a carper has his lines out where they want to fish.

Unfortunately lure fishing and carping often come into conflict but it is a case of whoever gets the swim first.

For the record I am not just defending carp fishing, I am just as keen on defending any type of fishing but I do get fed up with the term CRAP angler applied to all of us who pursue big fish....over on BFW they even think that carp is a swear word and can hardly bring themselves to say it.

Even in modern barbel fishing you have plenty who seem to think that the use of boilies and hair rigs are an evil perpetrated on them by carpers, not so, it is the way that most specimen hunters work..they pick up on what others are doing and apply it to their own branch of the sport.

As a matter of record also, did you know that the first "SPECIAL" carp bait was actually one filched from the barbel men...yes, good old sausage meat.

It all comes back to attitude again, modern anglers want instant big fish and that is what is provided for them, even our own Steve makes no secret of the fact that he hopes to get some record breaking fish in his pits one day.

As an angler who is on the bank four or five days a week I only see blokes (and a few of their ladies) enjoying their chosen way of fishing and do you know something? I rarely hear THEM knocking other branches of our sport.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic