Fair play?

kleinboet

As to the nurse. I'm trying not to bite.

I will, though! Look at it from the patient's point of view, if they don't happen to be religious (probably not a problem if they are). Patients have a right to be offered those treatments - and only those treatments - that have been proven to be effective through rigourous scientific testing ("Evidence Based Healthcare"). That's why there is a constant battle going on over whether "alternative" treatments such as homoeopathy should be offered on the NHS - there isn't sufficient scientific evidence that they work.

A Cochrane systematic review has concluded that "it is impossible to prove or disprove in trials any supposed benefit that derives from God's response to prayer."

http://www.mrw.interscience.wiley.com/coch...0368/frame.html

In other words, the nurse is breaking her contract by making an offer of an intervention with no evidence that any benefit will accrue. OK, it's not going to do the patient any harm either, but non-religious patients are hardly likely to have confidence in a health worker who appears to believe (in effect) in magical interventions.

Some patients in some situations (not this one, which involved leg ulcers) may even be alarmed by a nurse offering to pray for them, as they might interpret the offer as meaning that all hope of a cure by conventional means has disappeared.

It's a bit strong that the nurse was suspended, though - it ought to have been sufficient to have a quiet word and advise her that offers of prayer are unlikely to be welcome unless the patient is known to share the nurse's religious beliefs.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an ex pat Captain that was the response I expected :rolleyes: However the odd hairdresser or plumber plying his or her trade in your village or similar is hardly the same situation that we are witnessing back home at the moment. ;)
So should my shopfitter mate lay off his men and restrict his enterprise to the UK and lay off all his staff who are working in other UE States then Rabbit?

It sounds to me that some want jam on both sides of their bread.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

So should my shopfitter mate lay off his men and restrict his enterprise to the UK and lay off all his staff who are working in other UE States then Rabbit?

It sounds to me that some want jam on both sides of their bread.

Jam ? No just work, the sort of work that is available in this country that can be fulfilled by UK workers who are trained in that field. Can you imagine the fury if this situation was in France? Your beloved French would indulge in a mass embargo on all things British close the ports at the very least. You live here you really should support this country for a change. :thumbs:

Jam ? No just work, the sort of work that is available in this country that can be fulfilled by UK workers who are trained in that field. Can you imagine the fury if this situation was in France? Your beloved French would indulge in a mass embargo on all things British close the ports at the very least. You live here you really should support this country for a change. :thumbs:
You're evading my question. Should my mate withdraw from Europe so as not to take the jobs of Spanish and French shop fitters? Oui ou non?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

British Jobs for British workers was probably one of the best quotes from the present incumbent. Totally the right idea, but since Britain is forced to work in an open market with regard to goods and employment it was a naive comment.

However the fact that foreign workers can pinch British jobs in the current climate is staggering, and to add insult to injury we are see pictures of Italian workers giving us the 'finger and the 'f' off ' sign.

i think the famous picture of some italians "giving the finger"was actually aimed at the press, who are trying to whip up feelings even more.......if you look, the photographer is directly facing the camera.

(english tabloids speak with forked tongue).

a statement was released yesterday, which showed that TWICE the number of britons work in other eu countries,than non british eu workers in the uk..

by all means,stop the eu workers coming into britain...........but i cant think of a bigger way to shoot yourself in the foot to be honest.when the rest of the eu retaliate.

If the british companies are not competitive to win the tenders.........whos faults that??( sound of "its not fair"!!stamp feet,take ball away)

What ALL of you are missing is the fact that BRITISH workers were NOT ALLOWED to apply for the jobs. I am all for an open market for jobs, with the best person getting the job - but COME ON!!!

As for the Nurse, if London Transport can run buses with "there is probably no God" on them, then this case is pure discrimination!!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

"We all get whatever we want to regarding someone like Enoch Powell and his politics. The truth is he gambled and lost.

Britain on the whole rejected his politics, and we have moved on, he tried to portray the immigrants as people we should fear, and that would have resulted in race riots and indeed Rivers of Blood. Much like many southern states of America of the same era.

Proof if proof needed that his politics has no place in a society that really values freedom. "

"freedom" gives employers the right to employ who they wish :rolleyes:

"But of course all the talk of the country going to the dogs, illegal immigrants, paedo's, the unemployed, scroungers, and so on is from one voice mainly, well at least on AN, and we know what they would do if by some miracle they ever got into power, which they wont because thankfully, we are a fair and level headed nation."

wheres it gone then? you mean discriminate positively :o you mean employ a brit when a more abled foreigner could do the job ,cheaper too thats a plus! ,how unique why wasnt it thought of before or has it in reverse ,seemed fine then for you.unfortunately freedom (as you love to say we are) works many ways its gives you the choice to employ who the fook you want even foreigners over brits ;) Fairness went out of the window when labour popped up we are now more fair to foreigners as i have always said and was called a biggot ,how times change, how spotless that leopard (in the guise of a rabbit) has become

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Re the praying nurse. Some 37 years ago I worked as a Staff Nurse on a chest surgery unit. We were mostly removing lungs to treat lung cancer so most of our patients didn't have a good outlook.

A junior Dr. joined the staff and started to offer the patients religious tracts and offering to pray with them / for them. As you can imagine, this cheered the majority up no end. The Dr was politely asked to desist but he felt that it was his mission in life to bring light to the ungodly in their hour of need. He was sacked, no fuss, no bother and no headlines in the scum press. Maybe they had more important things to write about in those days. <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

As for the Nurse, if London Transport can run buses with "there is probably no God" on them, then this case is pure discrimination!!!

Bus adverts have absolutely no relevance to the professional conduct of nurses.

If you read the reports, the patient in this case made no complaint - it seems pretty clear that another nurse reported her because she felt that her behaviour was inappropriate. I've no doubt that the Christian nurse offered to pray for her patient with the best of intentions, but prayer can't cure leg ulcers and if her managers were going to do anything about it at all, they should have just asked her not to repeat her offer to other patients, unless she was quite sure that it was going to be be appreciated. Instead of which, they've over-reacted and suspended her.

Typical managers!