A Mild Week

Chris Plumb

It could well be the river Dee Tigger.........!

I could have been a bit more careful with hiding the swim in the picture, but then I thought, the river is famous for its grayling fishing with 4lb fish having been caught every year since god knows when.....and with a 2lb grayling possible from almost every swim throughout the eighty something miles of river, revieling the swim isn't that much of a big deal..

Yeah it's no secret that there's grayling in there amongst plenty other species so I don't think the place will get a mad influx of anglers co's of yours . If I thought that I wouldn't have asked you on the forum. By the way I ain't got a clue where the swim is I've never fished the D. I don't live far from it and have been invited to fish it by a couple of friends from over Wales and Chester but I've just never got round to it. Maybe one day I'll make the effort. Lets hope you get one of those 4 lbers rich might give me the insentive to have a ride over ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it too much to hope for another quiet week weather-wise?

I hope so - I've got this coming Friday off as well - the Itchen beckons! :rolleyes:

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Is it too much to hope for another quiet week weather-wise?

I hope so - I've got this coming Friday off as well - the Itchen beckons! :rolleyes:

C.

I'm hoping so too Chris as it's the zander fish-in and I don't like being cold B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Caught my first fish of the year on Saturday, all 2/3lb of pike from a spot I've fished before but never caught from....that's how bad things are!

Forecast looking good for the first half of the week but really hope this holds out so I can ahve a go for the barbel

Caught my first fish of the year on Saturday, all 2/3lb of pike from a spot I've fished before but never caught from....that's how bad things are!

Forecast looking good for the first half of the week but really hope this holds out so I can ahve a go for the barbel

I'm still struggling to get my first!

Hit the Teme on Saturday, water levels down, temps up, looked great. I tried everything, paste, cheese, meat, pellets (first time), worms, casters, maggots, with ledgers, feeders, rolling, just about everything but trotting on three swims I fish regularly. One small bite (missed it of course) at the end of the day as I was pouring a coffee!

Oh well I suppose it's payback time. This time last year I couldn't fail :(

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I had a day out yesterday on my club lake. It was overcast in the morning, but was predicted to clear up and a temperature rise was forecast for later in the afternoon.

Yeah, right! It went from cold to colder and the wind then changed direction and blew straight at us. The lake was like the North Sea, with white horses and breakers on the bank. Perfect for wind surfiing, but chuffing useless for float fishing!

I ended up packing up early and retreated to the cabin to make some hot brews for myself and the other guys who were daft enough to sit there....

I sat from about seven in the morning until late in the afternoon before I gave up, realising that I was in imminent danger of frostbite....and for what? I had one bite all day, and even then I managed to miss it! To cap it all, my fishing partner managed to land a rather nice 5lb common whilst I sat and blanked.

I was so cold and tired when I got home yesterday that I just dumped my bag, went for a soak in a bath and then crawled into bed. Unfortunately I forgot that I had some maggots in there... I am currently mounting an all-out maggot offensive!

I thought that fishing was suppposed to be fun? Yesterday it was more of an endurance test! I'm going back to knitting!

Pah!

I went fishing on a club owned section of the upper river Lea yesterday afternoon, It was very cloudy with a cold gusty Northwesterly wind blowing.

I was just thinking about a warm fire in a pub when I was awoken by my rod moving forward which turned out to be a Barbel of 7lb 11oz.

FirstBarbel_220208_7_11.jpg

Followed an hour later with a Barbel of 5lb 9oz

SecondBarbel_220208_5_9.jpg

and another an hour later of around the 5lb mark.

Third%20Barbel_220208_5lb.jpg

Not big Barbel by some peoples standards but on a short cold February afternoon they were very welcome and made it well worthwhile being on the bank.

I caught them all on small crab pellets on a very short hair using size 12 barbless hooks with a short 'flat lead' link leger.

This is the swim I fished tight up against the only green shrub on the far bank.

MySwim1_220208.jpg

and looking upstream:

MySwim2_220208.jpg

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Looks like some one else had a good day recently........good stuff Boldbear !

Oh forgot to say, super pic's m8.

Edited by tigger

Looks like some one else had a good day recently........good stuff Boldbear !

Oh forgot to say, super pic's m8.

They are indeed, well done. Oh and you've obiously got the hang of the new centrepin very quickly, looks like 15-20 yards to the far bank?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back