Another new reel project

Worms

Excellent stuff and hopefully will be having a go myself in the not too distant. Unfortunately the mark 1 eyeball has long lost its efficiency as demonstrated last night when trying to true up a Fred Crouch Aerial. So frustrating when you get it to within a Gnats doodah then make a final adjustment and it all goes tits up :angry: . The bearings need replacing on one of my Trotting specials but need an expanding mandrel to make sure no damage occurs when getting them out. Awkward little devils which have been locked in by centre popping the edges in 4 positions.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent stuff and hopefully will be having a go myself in the not too distant. Unfortunately the mark 1 eyeball has long lost its efficiency as demonstrated last night when trying to true up a Fred Crouch Aerial. So frustrating when you get it to within a Gnats doodah then make a final adjustment and it all goes tits up :angry: . The bearings need replacing on one of my Trotting specials but need an expanding mandrel to make sure no damage occurs when getting them out. Awkward little devils which have been locked in by centre popping the edges in 4 positions.

Cheers. I notice from the "bobbin" thread (whatever they are :blink: ) that you have a shiny Myford to play with. The sky's the limit now!

Sod's law on the trueing! It makes bugger all difference to the fishing anyway really, even if it's ten thou out as long as the spool's not clobbering something. I still have to try and get them within half a thou though (and very rarely do!)

Centre popping bearings eh? yech! I'd interference fit them, drop the bearings in the freezer and heat the alloy up, drop 'em in and let it all return to normal, a piece of cake to replace then. If they were that slack I'd rather loctite them than centrepop them. Oh well, progress eh!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Cheers Gary!

Well, it's been a while but I've done a bit more. The spool is all trued up, the handles are on, the ratchet is fixed on and all has been finally rivetted. Just the fitting of the reel foot and then a final clean and localised polish and I'll be just in time for the Teme to get somewhere near a decent level :)

The difficult bits?

spoolfront.jpg

Looks like the dogs cojones.

Also looks very similar to my late 50's Hardy 'The Conquest'.

hardyconquest.jpg

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Great workmanship. How about a photo of what must be an amazing workshop so we can all drawl.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Also looks very similar to my late 50's Hardy 'The Conquest'.

Yes, the thought crossed my mind as I was making it! The later hidden 'telephone' style latch is also easier to make than the spoke located type as well :)

Watatoad, although I'd love to display my workshop I'm sure you'll understand my reticence to plaster it all over the internet B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Your totally right mate! Only reason I used to show mine was that it had over a grands worth of security fitted! Nearly the same price as the Portacabin originaly cost! But of course a fraction of what was in it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes, the thought crossed my mind as I was making it! The later hidden 'telephone' style latch is also easier to make than the spoke located type as well :)

Pardon?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Pardon?

The spool locating latch is hidden under the litle cover on the front of the spool. It's essentially a bent bit of 'flatstock' that locates in a groove on the pin. It is held in place by a small spring. It's just a slight modernisation of the older uncovered locking latch called a 'telephone' latch because the shape of it was like a telephone receiver :)