Aliens

Ken L

Just for fun.

Do you think that aliens exist ?

If so, why ? and if not, why not ?

Do you think aliens have ever visited the Earth ?

If a dirty great alien ship were discovered to be settleing into orbit tomorrow, would this be a good thing or a bad thing ? - and why ?

My own thoughts to follow soon......

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that aliens exist ?

If so, why ? and if not, why not ?

I certainly think yes. It's a numbers game for the most part. If we didn't exist then I would not be sure it can happen but we do so it can. Given the number of other star/planet systems out there, I'd say it's probable that at least a few thousand of them developed in a similar fashion.

As to the other possibilities for living, thinking beings (which is what I assume you meant), there is less evidence but why not folks that enjoy methane/ammonia to breath and lower temperatures than we do. Not carbon based under those conditions but there are other likely options. And I suspect there are other forms we can't even imagine.

Do you think aliens have ever visited the Earth ?

Well, all the EVIDENCE can be taken a number of ways but I happen to think yes.

If a dirty great alien ship were discovered to be settleing into orbit tomorrow, would this be a good thing or a bad thing ? - and why ?

I'd say probably a very good thing. I'll pass on the why part for a bit though.

[ 26. November 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I sincerely hope so. Due to the shear size of our galaxy, not to mention the universe, pretty sad if we are the only life form.

Have they visited us? I've got an open mind about that, i've read all of Timothy Good's books and the evidence he puts forward is compelling.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

It is said there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches in this world.

Given the fact that we exist just the numbers alone say there must be other life forms out there.

On this planet we have fairly recently discovered microbes living under the most extreme conditions eg high acid and alkali environments. Extreme cold and heat. Tube worms, prawns and fish ingesting hydrogen sulphides at high temperatures around 'black smokers' in deep water and at phenomenal pressure. We also have microbes that can break down hydrogen cyanide into harmless gases. We would die instantly in these conditions but it is their life force. Alien lifeforms do not have to assimilate us in appearance and size.

It might be that our universe (that seems to be so vast it has no end) is so small that is part of something else that is so massive it is beyond our comprehension, for comparison us being size of a neutron in something the size of our own body. There are also people like Eric von Daniken who claim's to have "evidence" that aliens (in the conventional form) have already been here and fairly recently.

http://www.debunker.com/texts/vondanik.html

I find the subject so compelling that for me it has to be true.

I mean to say that we started life as inert chemicals that were changed by high voltage electicity (lightning) into a crude single cell That experiment has been done in a laboratory using amino acids and a high voltage spark. I even know people that have not evolved much more that that (a proportion of the youth of today).

I suppose at the end of the day this 'GOD' chappie is responsible for the conventional way we think. (not a bad pun on convent)

The food for thought though is incredible.

'nough said

It takes longer for the river to get to the sea than it does for a man to make an error.

There is a school of thought that says that for life to occcur Spontaneously as occurred on earth, the odds of this happening are so fantastically long that it takes the size of the universe to mean that it happened at all. To put another way the universe has to be this big to have us in it. Therefore only on this planet did all the many factors occur at exactly the same time to enable life to start and there is no life on any other planet. i am not sure i belive this as i think is it is likely that some life Occurred on other planets, although i have not been convinced that aliens have visited this planet.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Of all the species (millions and millions of them)that have ever existed on Earth, for over 5 billion years, only one has been capable of developing an advanced technology.

That requires not just 'intelligence' but an inquistive and exploring culture and an economic and political system that moves in that direction.

Even in the (say) 3 million years that creature has been around (a blink in time), 'civilisation' has only really got going in the last few thousand years, and 'technological civilisation' only in the last 100 or so years.

All the signs are that 'technological civilisation', built on availability of cheap energy is but a 'moment' of madness in the history of the species, and it looks as though that may prove fatal, leaving a 'f****d up' and resource depleted, poisoned planet in its wake.

So given the evidence.

1 Life is rare, maybe unique

2 'Intelligent' life is considerably rarer

3 Technological Civilisation is probably short-lived and fatal. (That's why the Universe isn't awash with technologically competent species trying to signal their presence with radio waves etc)

4 The distances and journey times involved in physical Interstellar travel are completely mind boggling and very, very expensive for any species that attempts it (So why keeping popping across to see how things are going on earth?)

It's unlikely that 'aliens' exist, even more incredibly unlikely that they have ever made the effort to pop in on us.

But on the other hand, they could be everywhere amongst us!

Tight Lines - leon

[ 26. November 2004, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I am an alien from outer space.....

I live in my briefcase....

and I'll get my coat.....

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

quote:

Posted by: Little Tinca

I find the subject so compelling that for me it has to be true.

Wondered why you had a powerful telescope. Will you be warning us of their imminent arrival.

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

Eric von Daniken who claim's to have "evidence" that aliens (in the conventional form) have already been here and fairly recently.

I'm afraid old Eric invented plausible reasons for things like lay lines, central american pyramids and all sorts of other phenomena and then presented them in such a way that it couldnt possibly be anything else. Sold a lot of books tho'. Take for example the central american pyramids which look remarkably similar to egyptian pyramids albeit on a smaller scale. Mr Von Daniken would have us beleive that aliens built both the egyptian and central american versions and he's seen the hyroglyphics that prove it. WHAT ? Thor Hyerdahl proved that it was possible to float on a papyrus raft fom one continent to another. If I must theorise then I prefer the floating raft to flying saucers.

A few nights ago I saw a TV interview with an obviously completely batty guy who claimed he'd been kidnapped by aliens 13 times and had the marks on his body to prove it. Well if he has lesions on his body then it must have been aliens.NOT. Just interviewing this dingbat gave creedance to his story.

Are there other life forms out there, quite probably. Hard to believe that of all of the planets spinning around out there, that earth is the only one that has life. Is it a life form that we'd recognise, probably not.

Do I believe in flying saucers. NO. I've seen all of the films and photos and until one crashes and we can all get a GOOD look, then 'll go for the logical explanation that always goes with these sightings. for the same reasons I dont believe in the loch ness monster, yetis and bigfoot. Watched some idiot on a satellite channel last night saying that the north american and canadian wilderness has thousands of bigfoot roaming around. We must assume that they live forever too since nobody has ever found any remains.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'