Is there "life" after death?

kleinboet

Actually depending upon your source chairman mao's little red book may have outsold the bible with estimated sales of between 1 - 6.5 billion copies as opposed to the bibles 2 - 6 billion (also if you then compare amount sold to the length of time the book has been around you'll probably find that relatively alot of books have out sold the bible, it has even been reported that the Satanic Bible written by Anton Szander Lavey has outsold the bible on some american university campuses at various times).

As for fantasy stories i prefer the iliad, the odyssey and the epic of gilgamesh, all of which have been around far longer than the bible, doesn't mean I have to believe in cyclops, werewolves etc though.

Edited by snakey1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what no blooming Cyclops ,bugger now i will have to redesign my almost completed Cyclops detector ,darn darn darn

still more time for my elf destructor to be finalised :thumbs:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes alas the cyclops doesn't really exist, the Hair Loss Fairy, the Eater of Socks and the Verruca Gnome though are another matter altogether though.

Edited by snakey1

OH !alls not lost then :thumbs:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sportsman - Why don't you read the posts - I am merely standing up for my beliefs, I will not have the Bible called a "fantasy book" when it is being studied by experts all over the world (still!).

People then (wrongly) accuse the Bible of causing all sorts of horrors when the old testament tells of the sharia law (which is still practised by modern day Islamics) and the new testament tells you not to!

Not so fast Kleinboet. Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Sportsman, I am suprised, you always seemed to be a 'you are what you get' kind of guy.

If you bothered to look at the subtitle of the thread (which you obviously haven't done) you would see that I started this thread as another thread got hijacked with this subject!

Alan Stubbs,

Seeing as you "want PROOF" of the bible (which learned people have been trying to do for about 2000 years, why don't you google "the Bible" and find out.

You might even learn something!!!!!! Seeing as how the Bible is the best selling book for two centuries!!

As for the bigotry side, I am sticking up for my beliefs, the bigots are the ones making fun of it!

read the whole threrad and MAY be suprised that I am right at least about that!

Is this what you mean by proof KB? http://www.christadelphian.org.uk/booklets/bprop1.html. This was picked at random out of a multitude of similar ravings!

You appear to be sticking up for your beliefs by moving the goalposts every time you are proved wrong. On top of that you asked the question "Is there "life" after death?". When people try and answer with their own beliefs you ridicule them and call them bigots!

From Wikipedia because I can't bother to go downstairs for the OED.

"A bigot (in modern usage) is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own or intolerant of people of different ethnicity, race, or class."

similarly, sycophant according to the ancient usage is described as: "a Greek word that suggests someone who brings all kinds of charges and proves none......"

As one sycophantic bigot once said, "wake up and smell the coffee"

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Sportsman, I am suprised, you always seemed to be a 'you are what you get' kind of guy.

If you bothered to look at the subtitle of the thread (which you obviously haven't done) you would see that I started this thread as another thread got hijacked with this subject!

Alan Stubbs,

Seeing as you "want PROOF" of the bible (which learned people have been trying to do for about 2000 years, why don't you google "the Bible" and find out.

You might even learn something!!!!!! Seeing as how the Bible is the best selling book for two centuries!!

As for the bigotry side, I am sticking up for my beliefs, the bigots are the ones making fun of it!

There you go again

You say I couldn't be bothered to read the subtitle and yet in my first post on this thread (post 14) I actually point out that the hijacking of the euthanasia thread was done by - you :o

So I didn't read it but I responded to it anyway, clever :P

By the way, WTF is a "you are what you get" kind of guy?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

[

Alan Stubbs,

I don't want proof of the Bible...I have a copy in the house, thanks. I want proof that the stories in the bible are more than simply stories. Interestingly, the library near us has the Bible listed under 'Fiction'. It seems reasonable given the lack of hard proof that it's contents are little more than folk stories, all of which have variations according to which edition you read. People use literary an linguistic niceties to justify the point of view that their translation is right. Why not revert to the Dead Sea scrolls as the difinitive source? because various churches deny access to them - and even then they are making the assumption that their contents are the bone fide word of God. The evidence seems bloody tenuous to me and requires more than your word to change my mind.

The Book of Psalms are listed as songs of David or some theological addendum, they don't necessarily prove what they're saying. What I'm looking for from you is hard proof that the contents are the word of God or Jesus. Just because some long dead person is alleged to have said so - and simply because the latter-day god KB asserts it is so, doesn't mean it is - and given your previous on this site, to quote Ira Gershwin 'it ain't necessarily so'.

On that basis, please KB, either put up or shut up. I noticed you avoided the accusation that you are the bigot in this - you made a statement and as ever when asked to offer proof to substantiate your fundamentalist rantings and simply go off on one rather than offer hard evidence to justify your beliefs.

It's fine to hold on a belief but less than fine to assert that differing points of view are less valid than yours if you don't deliver proof to validate your assertions when you choose to tell other people that they are wrong. Frankly, that attitude sucks the big monkey.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Methinks KB has a problem with the concept of the Burden of Proof. He is the one claiming that there is life after death, it is therefore up to him to prove that there is life after death. It is not up to the rest of us to prove him wrong.

He is also making the classical logical fallacy of appeal to ignorance. He is claiming that his premise (that there is life after death) is true because it has not or cannot been proven false.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

the popular belief was that there was a popular belief the world was flat ,we've known it was round for over two thousand years

There is evidence that the popular notion that the earth is flat was prodominant throughout most of human pre-history, if not history. When this shifted to the assumption that it is a sphere is a matter for another debate (not one which I would be especially interested in). Some consdider the opinion shift in Europe came by the early Middle Ages (O'Neil 2008) while others are sure that ancient Greek scholars had figured it out, but there isn't much eveidence to demonstrate how widley their discovery was popularised. In any case 2000 years is a tiny fraction of the time humans have been around and holding beliefs.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"