slugs for carp

bill

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i haven't but i'm thinking of trying them next time i go. As i read in this coarse fishing book that i have, that they work really well with carp, chub and Barbel.

I also read that you can catch roach, rudd, carp and tench on elderberries. :P

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

Try mussels from the supermarket... or cockles... absolute killer for tench and carp (had nice bream and roach on them too), over a bed of hemp and pellet(small pellet)... people have said that the hemp on the bottom is attractive as it looks and has the texture of small snails, and when they see a nice mussel/cockle sat on top they can't resist! just throw a few broken up mussels around too... Had four carp to 18lb in one day at a hard fished water in herts on it... lift method... Coots Corner, Hitchen if anyone fishes it!

A couple of years ago I took a (non-fishing) mate fishing to an alledgedly easy pit. Twas an 'off day' and whilst I had a few my mate looked like blanking. Until he found a slug - impaled it on his hook - more as a joke than anything else - and dropped it in the margins. Within seconds the rod was almost pulled from his grasp and after a short fight a 6lb common was netted. In a flash he was on his hands and knees collecting more and IIRC he ended up with half a dozen carp of similar size.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I have used slugs with much success on the river in summer. When the water is low and clear the weight of a far slug means you dont need any other terminal tackle. Freeline the slug to fish holding spots to get some nice chub and the spookey barbel.

I dont see why a similar method wouldn't work on a still water for carp. Carp and barbel have the same type of thinking if you ask me;)

IMO they're one of the best baits there is for Chub, totally natural and loads must fall in the margins. I'd have thought they'd be an ideal margin bait for Carp, I'll have to give them a go sometime - never really considered using them on a stillwater for some strange reason.

Will

I've only ever caught chub and perch on them in rivers, and there are barbel where I fish. I tried one the other evening in a carp lake, but nothing doing (yet).