close season avoidance

The Flying Tench

i fished the river wear in durham yesterday, I used an indiscriminate bait, maggots, and caught trout, gudgeon and a stickleback!

but using andy's theory, as most baits will catch a variety of species, the only time when I would be alloweed to fish would be when the trout, coarse and salmon seasons are all open.

I can't think of a single bait that doesn't run the risk of catching a fish from another group, having caught trout on bread and sweatcorn, save perhaps for boilies, which I'm sure someone will tell me they have caught trout on!

To me it's alot to do with intention, we have alot of trout up here, but can I ever guarantee that they're all I'll catch (ie peter's 100%), well of course I can't, but I'll still fish, and any out of season fish go straight back, no photos, no weighing etc, just a quick and painless return.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anglian Region regs are as follows:- Annual Close Season for Salmon and Migratory Trout, Rod & Line is 29th September to the last day in February. So from the 1st of March you can fish for the above, provided that you have the correct licence. But there is a weekly close time between Sunday 06.00 hrs till 24.00 on Monday. And please note, Any person shall be guilty of an offence if he fishes for salmon and trout during the annual close season for freshwater fish with ANY lure or bait other than an artificial wet or dry fly. And if you claim to be fishing for eels then that is provided there is NO hook or other metal applience attached to the line.

It would be idiotic to suggest that the odd pike won't take a trout fly, or that the odd salmon won't take the odd pike spinner, but it boils down to intention. Those with the intention to cheat their fellow anglers by pulling a fast one are pretty low in my estimation, especially when they do it for money.

By the way, those who livebait may only take ten fish in a day for livebait! I wonder how many knew that!!

I am happy to go along with the close season is the close season. Unless you have some way to be 100% sure you will catch trout and not a coarse fish then leave it well alone.

I respect my favoured local stretches of river. they are becoming increasingly precious to me.

The fish deserve a rest and recharge.

I view those fishing the close season as just losers or 'no hopers'. I also lament the lack of incentive for authority to enforce it.

The rest of us I presume are moving onto those hardfished waters where fish are put in for anglers (what spawn?).

"Muddlin' along"

you can fish for eels in severn during close season but the hook must be have a minimum gape of 1/2 inch I beleive a size two.You dont get many gudgeon on them.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

Its like a five bladed trident. The blades are sprung steel with tiny barbs. The idea being that the blades open up around an eel's body rather than actually spearing it or cutting it in half.

When eels hibernate they do so in soft mud and silt. You push the eel spear into the mud and, if you know the water well, you can catch loads of eels.

Peter - one of these?

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President