Chub fish-in

Will Wilkinson

I discussed the possibility of organising a Chub fish-in on the Ouzel (and possibly the Ouse) at the Wingham fish-in and it was thought to be a good idea so here goes :D

If it's going to be early season then it will need to be on the weekend of 28-29 June. Unfortunately I'm booked solid early July and then am away (either Greenland or the Faroes) for 5 weeks for a spot of walking and fishing B) Otherwise I can organise one for September (or both if there's enough demand).

The Ouzel MKAA Rivers page is a great little river - real Mr Crabtree stuff - with a nice selection of features including some swims with nice trotting glides as well as deep undercuts and overhanging bushes. Most stretches suit a roving approach but there are also a number of swims that fish well all day. There are plenty of chub between 3 and 4 lb with a real possibility of a 5 or even a 6lber. For those who want more of a challenge then there are stretches of the Ouse that have produced fish well in excess of 7lb (best I know of last season was a 7lb 10oz), these are significantly harder but there are some monsters to be found.

Day tickets are £5 on the bank, once I know what the level of interest is I'll see if I can get a block direct from the club to save hassles on the day.

I would expect to be able to accommodate 15 on the Ouzel plus another 5 on the Ouse without us crowding either each other or others who might be fishing the stretches.

If you'd like to indicate your interest, along with which day (Sat./Sun.) suits best then I'll try to get something organised. If you'd rather I set something up for September instead/as well then let me know.

Once I've got an idea of numbers then I'll post more details.

Regards

Will

p.s. There's the possibility of combining the river with a day on one of the MKAA lakes if any fancy doing the whole weekend - most probably Caldecotte (mostly tench & bream with some good carp if you can locate them).

Edited by Will Wilkinson

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will - I have pinned this to the top for you. If it looks like September will be your target, I'll unpin it and you can bounce it back at a later time nearer to the event. For now, lets see how it goes and I hate you all for doing this while I am so far away and can't possibly make it. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers for that Newt - if you come back over this side of the pond you must try the Chub and Barbel fishing round here - the big Barbel in the Ouse are awesome. I may take you up on your standing offer of fishing in the states either next year or the year after - both my wife and I are big Nascar fans and fancy a trip out to Lowes and/or Darlington.

Will

Outstanding. I will need at least 30 minutes warning so I can make sure boat is ready to go.

Depending on my job situation (if I still have one or have retired) we may be here or we may be in Mississippi but you can bet there will be good fishing nearby and a functioning welcome mat outside our house.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Very interested in this, although transport will be pretty tough...put me down as a maybe for now, that is if I'm even known enough to be given a spot around here!

{admin note: Dan, you are well enough known.

Newt}

Good idea Will. These fish-ins are catching on.

I'll have to say September would be my favourite. It seems like everyone I know has decided to get married in the last couple of weeks of June and early July which is desperately inconvenient.

I thought about doing something similar but due to the nature of the rivers we would of had people dotted all over two counties which dosn't really work.