Which UK Freshwater Species would you get rid of?

Dales

These are the changes I would make

Prevent introduction of any non- native as any in past has had disastrous effects on our nature.

Do more to help our native failing species i.e.

reintroduce the Burbot

While I tend to agree with your other sentiments these two actually concern me as they are very dodgy things to say!

Firstly please give me PROVEN examples of the first comment or even your reasons for making such a comment?

Secondly have you any idea why there are probably no more burbot in our waters?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing really what folk think especially if it will interfere with their particular interest. An official of one of our local clubs was insistant that if an angler caught one of the group of Koi that had made it's way into the river it would have to be destroyed, same bloke ordered the stocking of Triploid trout :lol: Suffice to say he rarely fished by any other means than fluff chucking. Having said that, a species is only a nuisance when it's stocking negatively alters the balance of the species already present ie through predation or bullying from the habitat.

It is amazing really what folk think especially if it will interfere with their particular interest. An official of one of our local clubs was insistant that if an angler caught one of the group of Koi that had made it's way into the river it would have to be destroyed, same bloke ordered the stocking of Triploid trout :lol:

Triploid trout will not reproduce though - koi would. I see the argument though.

As a general rule for alien species -

Enclosed waters = (generally speaking) no problem. Although we don't want Zander in The Lake District (for instance).

Drains, rivers canals etc. = big problem.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

hi Budgie, the catfish (siluro) is now classed as an invasive species on the ebro and connected waters. a campaign started last autumn to remove as many as posible.

Reason being damage done to endemic fish populations, and general wildlife habitat.

An eastern european company, has been charged with their removal. :lol::blink::lol:

i saw a photo in "el Mundo" a few months ago, of over 3000kg of dead fish, hanging in a refridgerated truck awaiting export.

There have been reports of illegal introductions, in still waters, near to me, the regional government has brought in legislation, including long jail sentences and big fines for anyone they catch.

No doubting they are invasive in the artificial environment they find themselves in! But they are only so because they are in such.

Spain's not been a regular stomping ground for me for quit a few years now but even back then you could see that a bit of management would eventually be needed.Unlike the French though the Spanish realise the great gift the cats are and the way the fishing "industry" that has built up along the banks of the Ebro has greatly helped an other wise economically poor area.

From what I know though the Spanish authorities real concern is with the spreading of the species into other systems.And quite rightly so.Many other poor river side communities look enviously at the likes of Mequinenza and obviously want some of the same!

The Ebro itself can handle the cats but I think they would soon wreck the many smaller systems.Be interesting to watch how they deal with things.If they cull the right size bracket of fish It wont do any harm as the mass slaughter by the early guided German anglers proved.

As a general rule for alien species -

Enclosed waters = (generally speaking) no problem.

Although I understand what your saying the big problem with introducing alien fish into any water is that they are then simply here! And once so can then be moved by anglers or in countless other ways.

Once again where the whole ornamental thing makes a complete mockery of all fish stocking/movement legislation.

No doubting they are invasive in the artificial environment they find themselves in! But they are only so because they are in such.

Spain's not been a regular stomping ground for me for quit a few years now but even back then you could see that a bit of management would eventually be needed.Unlike the French though the Spanish realise the great gift the cats are and the way the fishing "industry" that has built up along the banks of the Ebro has greatly helped an other wise economically poor area.

From what I know though the Spanish authorities real concern is with the spreading of the species into other systems.And quite rightly so.Many other poor river side communities look enviously at the likes of Mequinenza and obviously want some of the same!

The Ebro itself can handle the cats but I think they would soon wreck the many smaller systems.Be interesting to watch how they deal with things.If they cull the right size bracket of fish It wont do any harm as the mass slaughter by the early guided German anglers proved.

Budgie heard from a mate that they were using divers to set nets by the islands around Tortosa ,the intention being to remove all Catfish as i understood it .

Are they also trying to remove them from Mequinenza as well or is it just the lower end ?? Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Although I understand what your saying the big problem with introducing alien fish into any water is that they are then simply here! And once so can then be moved by anglers or in countless other ways.

Once again where the whole ornamental thing makes a complete mockery of all fish stocking/movement legislation.

Agreed. It's the secondary effect of the importation.

I've heard that there are wels in the Thames. This is not good.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Grayling - you can't trust them. They're snide, unreliable and can't even make their mind up whether they're coarse fish or not. Hanging's too good for them.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

These are the changes I would make

Remove Barbel from ponds

Wells from everywhere

Carp from small natural ponds

Zander from the canals to stop spread

Remove Ide, Orfe, grass carp, gold fish, etc

Prevent introduction of any non- native as any in past has had disastrous effects on our nature.

Do more to help our native failing species i.e.

reintroduce the Burbot

Natural Brown trout

Crucian carp ( hybrids with Goldfish being problem)

Vendace Etc

Some species get overlooked due to not being great for fishing but should still be saved. Should we lose all our species just to accomadate carp fishermen? NO

A book I read recently described carp fisherman as Danglers not Anglers.

I'll go with you on this one and add

Carp in rivers

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God