Which UK Freshwater Species would you get rid of?

Dales

I guess that not living in the UK any longer sort of eliminates me from this poll so to speak. But I know that if I did still live there and if I could eradicate a fish, it would not be a single species, but all hybrids! It would be nice to catch a good fish and not have a whole lot of jealous anglers asking questions that cannot be answered without disecting the bloody thing. Again, it is anglers that are the problem - generally unsuccessful ones!

Good choice I did not even think about the hybrids.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real problem however is the wild brown trout angler. These folk in their hairy jackets don't consider it "proper" fishing unless you have yomped at least 7 miles up a 45' heather clad hillside to cast your fly into a small lochan packed with starving 3oz stunted brownies. They then go into raptures over each fish caught (and there could be hundreds) just because its got ruddy spots. (Och, it's a bonny wee fush, just look at the spots)

They then infest angling fora and tell everyone how dreadful it is to fish for Rainbows (pellet pigs) in stocked fisheries. (The fact is that they can't catch rainbows in stocked fisheries because the rainbows aren't starving enough and are a bit selective in what they eat)

So, like the carp, it's not the fish but the angling "business" that surrounds them that I object to.

Bye bye Brownie :bye1:

I'm not quite sure how the yomping wild trout fanatics affect your fishing, since as you say they are fishing 7 miles up a hill!

Carp, on the other hand, screw up nearly every English angler's fishing by turning waters into brown mudholes with less vegetation than the Moon. I had no problem with this when they were confined to commercial waters, but now club waters are getting stocked (often by the wet towel brigade but sometimes officially by misguided committees) and even rivers. And not just big slow rivers like the Trent, I've caught carp in the Ribble and a less suitable water for carp I cannot imagine.

freshwater dolphins ,they do nothing but chat to skippy and keep on about fooking kids stuck down mine shafts <_<

then suddenly one will pop up clap its fins whilst clicking like a mega fast clock distracting you whilst its mate nicks your bait

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

And not just big slow rivers like the Trent, I've caught carp in the Ribble and a less suitable water for carp I cannot imagine.

I've had them from this weirpool on a small river

515533_7013b9b7.jpg

Carp, on the other hand, screw up nearly every English angler's fishing by turning waters into brown mudholes with less vegetation than the Moon. I had no problem with this when they were confined to commercial waters, but now club waters are getting stocked (often by the wet towel brigade but sometimes officially by misguided committees) and even rivers. And not just big slow rivers like the Trent, I've caught carp in the Ribble and a less suitable water for carp I cannot imagine.

I fish the ribble and there are some members on AN who know the river inside out and have fished it most of their lives and I would imagine none of them have caught more than a handfull of carp in there if any at all over many years of fishing it. We know that they're present but not in an ammount to cause a problem to other species. Lets face it they've been present in the ribble for many years and haven't exactly "bred like rats", and if they have all they've done is provide a food source for other species of fish as I've never seen any offspring swimming about.

The only way carp can turn a water into a mud hole as you say is if they are put into a water in large ammounts/overstocked otherwise they wouldn't be a problem...well in my opinion. I know waters that are crystal clear, full of weed and wildlife and abundant in lots of fish species that contain carp. By the way trying to catch one of them is no easy task !

I actually like catching carp, I just wouldn't want it to be the only fish available to fish for :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Even the most ardent carp hater would not want to see Redmire without them.

I think that's probably true - and perhaps even the greatest fans of the species wouldn't want to see a lorryload of pasties and F1s tipped in there!

Edit: now I think about it, maybe not - a club I used to be in had a nice balanced mixed fishery with some good carp in it. The committee (of matchmen) wanted to net the big carp out and sell them for pasties - couldn't understand why the carp anglers were horrified, after all, they would have more carp to catch...

Edited by Steve Walker

These are the changes I would make

Remove Barbel from ponds

Wells from everywhere

Carp from small natural ponds

Zander from the canals to stop spread

Remove Ide, Orfe, grass carp, gold fish, etc

Prevent introduction of any non- native as any in past has had disastrous effects on our nature.

Do more to help our native failing species i.e.

reintroduce the Burbot

Natural Brown trout

Crucian carp ( hybrids with Goldfish being problem)

Vendace Etc

Some species get overlooked due to not being great for fishing but should still be saved. Should we lose all our species just to accomadate carp fishermen? NO

A book I read recently described carp fisherman as Danglers not Anglers.

The Ebro and Po are both massive water systems that make even our "big rivers" look like small streams.They both have amazing levels of prey fish and with their much warmer climate provide far longer growing periods.

hi Budgie, the catfish (siluro) is now classed as an invasive species on the ebro and connected waters. a campaign started last autumn to remove as many as posible.

Reason being damage done to endemic fish populations, and general wildlife habitat.

An eastern european company, has been charged with their removal. :lol::blink::lol:

i saw a photo in "el Mundo" a few months ago, of over 3000kg of dead fish, hanging in a refridgerated truck awaiting export.

There have been reports of illegal introductions, in still waters, near to me, the regional government has brought in legislation, including long jail sentences and big fines for anyone they catch.

Edited by captain cojones