your greatest catch

essox_lucius

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what fish or catch would you consider your greatest does,nt have to be biggest just the one that sticks out in your mind this is my first post so be gentle

mine would have to be a quick session i managed to fit in on the lambourn one evening after work when i realised i had the lads telescopic rod in the boot and a sandwich left over from lunch, was a bit touch and go but a thouroughly satisfying fight!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1050...mp;id=837105642

not sure on the weight but is bigger than any other ive caught! the rod was pretty much doubled over at the net!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

what fish or catch would you consider your greatest does,nt have to be biggest just the one that sticks out in your mind this is my first post so be gentle

Tip top thread essox lucius.

My own greatest catch was a 12lb 2oz barbel caught whilst trotting double maggot on a size 18 hook on the river Lea.

I'd actually switched up from three/four pound line to six pound line for the first time that day as I'd been told by a local tackle shop owner (sadly no longer there...) that there were barbel in the river.

I know many far better anglers than me who have struggled to catch a double figure barbel, despite rolling meats, feeder fishing and all the popular barbel tactics.

So to catch a double figure barbel whilst trotting was quite magical.

Actually, just catching a double figure barbel was magical - what a fight! :blink:

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

My most memorable has to be a barbel too taken from a deep bend in the river. The approach to the bend and the exit are probably no more than 10ft wide yet the bend has produced 3 doubles for me with a best 14lb 9oz. Not on the fine tackle used by tiddlertamer but a great fight nonetheless for what seemed for ever but probably just a matter of 5 minutes. The fish took almost half an hour to recover despite resting in the net before unhooking

I'm with the last two post i consider my best catch a 9lb 14oz Barbel caught on stick float with 4lb line size 18 hook. Yet to get a Dbl figure barbel but that fish has stuck in my mind ever since. Most satisfying part was the final 10 ft where i had to bring it over a bed of streamer weed.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Mine is my PB bream, simply because I was trying to catch one! I had decided to try for a big bream but had already steeled myself to the fact that it may literally never happen - so when it did, it was quite an amazing moment. I've caught 2lb tench that fought harder, and I suppose it's possible that one day I might catch a bigger bream, but that one will always be very special to me.

The other nice thing about it, is that a large part of its capture was down to the topics, advice and knowledge here on AN - freely shared, and gratefully recieved :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Mine is a relatively small fish, a 1½ pound Chub.

I was trotting for Barbel, the trotting line in the swim passed a tiny deep slack hard up against the far bank at some tree roots, the lead up to the slack was only a foot deep for 10 yards or so. As the float went past there’d often be a tug at the bait but then it carried on downstream. Something was lurking in there.

Getting the float right into the slack was almost impossible, the shallow water leading up to it meant I had to hold the float back, it would then pendulum towards me off line and miss the target.

After a few goes and a little help from a change in wind direction I managed to keep the float on the right line holding back and holding the line off the water until it was right in the deeper slack. The Chub was much more confident and snaffled the bait immediately.

Not a huge fish but working out how to get to it and succeeding was most satisfying.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Mine would be a Spotted Sorubim Catfish I caught many years ago. Not huge around 15lb, but it was my first fresh water exotic catch and so it is very memorable and it fired an interest in targeting new species. So this catch was the start of a passion for exotic fishing.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Mine would be a Spotted Sorubim Catfish I caught many years ago. Not huge around 15lb, but it was my first fresh water exotic catch and so it is very memorable and it fired an interest in targeting new species. So this catch was the start of a passion for exotic fishing.

after alot of thought mine has to be a pike ( theres a shock) but not a monster, fishing an old estate lake in july i had a cpl of bleeps at 530 am ish so i got up and switched the alarms down and sat with a coffee watching the monkey climbers. One climber dropped down an inch or two then slowly rose up then the line left the clip but a slow meandering run. As i struck i thought small jack as there was no fight, as it came into the bank i just seen 2 eyes and realised this was no jack she just swam towards me. unfortunatley she woke up and all hell broke loose after a 4 to 5 min fight i had her on the bank at 17lb 9 oz not a beast but she was long and lean and the way it was caught was like an oldfashioned movie

Easy answer for me too. 2lb 11oz roach caught trotting a Kennet carrier 7 years ago, also had a 1lb 2oz dace the same day (and 2 more over 1lb!) A special day - brought sharply into focus by my trip yesterday to the same venue where we struggled to find anything without an adipose fin!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog