Yet Another Angler Trying To Ban Livebaiting

Elton

Monty said: “I’d ban livebaiting tomorrow, if it was up to me. There’s no need to use live fish to catch pike.”

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/8166358....ts__says_Monty/

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real irony is that he is one of the proprietors of Predator Angling Center - Kiddlington, Oxon a tackle shop that claims to cater for the pike angler! When a very experienced mate of mine from the PAC contacted him reference these comments he replied ""Well you ain't a proper pike angler if you have to revert to using livebaits".................

Not only does he obviously know nothing about pike fishing (or at best have a very narrow experience of it) but worse simply has no idea of the wider implications of spouting such rubbish.

I hope pike anglers in general will remember his views when they are next considering a purchase....

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The real irony is that he is one of the proprietors of Predator Angling Center - Kiddlington, Oxon a tackle shop that claims to cater for the pike angler! When a very experienced mate of mine from the PAC contacted him reference these comments he replied ""Well you ain't a proper pike angler if you have to revert to using livebaits".................

Not only does he obviously know nothing about pike fishing (or at best have a very narrow experience of it) but worse simply has no idea of the wider implications of spouting such rubbish.

I hope pike anglers in general will remember his views when they are next considering a purchase....

Maybe he thinks it will boost his dead bait sales.

Why would he fell "there are not enough silver fish around to be used as bait"? I'm under the impression that there is more fish of all sizes than there was when i was a kid (30 years ago).

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I assume he doesn't sell endangered deadbaits like lamprey and eel..............?

Once again we have so-called anglers picking fights with other anglers. Pure idiocy. When are people going to learn?

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Full respect to this guy who has called for an end to livebaiting. In 2010 livebaiting is an anachronism. As for those live baiters who move their live baits from one water to another, they need to know that they can cause really serious damage to our waters.

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Care to expand on that a bit more TT?

Moving live baits from one water to another can spread disease and decimate fish stocks. Not recommended.

And in an age where we use unhooking mats for carp, how do we set that against using a silver fish as bait for a predator...

Is it simply size of fish that dictates fish welfare?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Is it simply size of fish that dictates fish welfare?

If not (and within reason), it certainly should be. Wiping out populations of tiddlers is obviously a stupid idea but using them as bait is harmless (unless you happen to be the bait) to the species unless other factors have put the population at dangerously low numbers.

Larger females lay more and higher quality eggs so their fry will be more likely to survive and thrive which is good for the species. Larger males contribute to that as well.

Larger fish need lying down to safely unhook and a mat is certainly good to minimize damage to the fish.

Angling will be more accepted and less likely to be harmed by legislation if there are lots of folks taking up the hobby. Large fish are a good draw for them.

In short, I can't see any logical reason to avoid using live bait.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

No 1. Define live baiting? Are not maggots and worms live baits?

No 2. As an angler you obviously accept its ok to stick a hook in a fishes mouth, and accept the odd deep hooked or foul hooked fish that occurs. So what makes it different if the hooks are placed elsewhere an angler desires?

No 3. Transfer of disease. Please give an example where this has been proved to occur? Before any one decides to jump on me I do abide and fully support this rule.

No 4. I wont comment on the action of the BAA. As It would lead to deleted posts and possible legal action.

No 5. The use of live bait is and still will be a lawful method. The use of which should be left to individuals to decide if its used or not.

Teme man te BAA has a long history of being "anti pike/pike fishing". Mainly due to its match fishing driven roots.So how does its size validate any decisions it makes? these are definately not made on any fishery management reasons!

Im not going to reply to the other points made by anyone just yet as I would like to see if anyone can come up with any "new" reasons before doing so.

Might be interesting/more constructive if people would say if they pike fish or use/have used livebait when they post on this.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!