Yet Another Angler Trying To Ban Livebaiting

Elton

[2] I'd take them somewhere such as the 'seriously shark infested' Australian Barrier Reef, get them in a boat, stick one hook [A biggun!] through the gob & the other [Much, much larger!] up the proverbial rigott then I'd toss them over the side!!!! Then, as they were going over, I'd say "See how you like it mate!"

So its ok to stick the hook in the gob then? Just not toss them in to the shark infested sea?

Maybe once livebaiting was banned we would see someone saying-

"Life really makes me wonder at times, it really does. We all reside in a namby-pamby state where we have stopped people live baiting yet we still allow people who should know better to stick hooks in fish's gobs, something wrong there!!"

See what Im saying? This is the "wider implication" that I and many others talk about.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the 11th commandment - Thou shalt mind your own business :rolleyes:

I've gone full circle on this issue, and my beliefs are mine and mine only, which is why I've stayed out of this. Anyone who can't see the wider implications of certain issues (not just livebaiting but taking fish for the pot, otters, you name it) really needs to take a couple of steps back and take a good look at the bigger picture.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't have strong views either way on live baiting. I don't do it in my day to day fishing for Pike, Zander & Perch and any way well it's banned on most waters I fish. However I do use it while fishing abroad.

What I do find strange is that people are against it based on the idea of alleged cruelty, but if you hold this view surely your time would be better spent campaigning against commercial fishing. Surely been crushed and suffocated slowly before been gutted alive is just a little bit crueler then been used as a live bait?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Exactly Dales, I often wonder how many people who feel so strongly about this specific issue and cruelty also eat intensively reared meat or battery eggs. If we're getting biblical we should let he who is without sin... etc etc etc!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Greetings,

Being, as I am, a pleasure angler [Never for pike] I haven't got the least intention of getting seriously involved in the 'live baiting for pike' argument. However, in my humble opinion, I'm not a bad bloke & at the bottom of me I like to think, when push comes to shove, that I'm a christian at heart. <_<

Now, getting back to live-baiting. If I had my way I would do the following with THOSE WHO DO apply live baiting techniques.

[1] I would suggest that they read the Ten Commandments, "Thou shalt no kill" and all that good stuff, & there's more.

[2] I'd take them somewhere such as the 'seriously shark infested' Australian Barrier Reef, get them in a boat, stick one hook [A biggun!] through the gob & the other [Much, much larger!] up the proverbial rigott then I'd toss them over the side!!!! Then, as they were going over, I'd say "See how you like it mate!"

Life really makes me wonder at times, it really does. We all reside in a namby-pamby state & we allow people who should know better to use live fish as bait, something wrong there!!

The practice should be banned with immediate effect, and for those who will insist on being 'naugty boy' serious penalties should apply.

Regards to you all.

DJW

The hypocrisy of some 'anglers' amazes me.

It's OK to put a hook in a fish, as long as you're not using it to catch another.

It's also OK to put hooks in dead fish that were killed specifically to be used as Anglers bait.

And it's also OK to put hooks into worms, maggots, slugs and other creatures in order to put a hook into a fish.

As others have already pointed out banning the use of live fish for bait is the first step on a slippery slope, the next thing to go would be the use of any live bait at all.

Mick Brown made an interesting point once that I completely agree with as far as the anti's are concerned. There's fewer people going fishing now and numbers are likely to continue to decline. Mankind are losing their hunter gatherer instinct that compells us to go fishing. Why not just forget about it and concentrate on worthy causes because Angling will dissappear of its own accord eventually. The only thing I'd add to that is that the infighting between groups of anglers with their own agendas will only hasten its demise.

the infighting between groups of anglers with their own agendas will only hasten its demise.

And that IMO is the cruelest thing in angling. Those that are so desperate to make angling "acceptable" to Jo Public/antis etc will bring about its demise.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Greetings,

Being, as I am, a pleasure angler [Never for pike] I haven't got the least intention of getting seriously involved in the 'live baiting for pike' argument. However, in my humble opinion, I'm not a bad bloke & at the bottom of me I like to think, when push comes to shove, that I'm a christian at heart. <_<

Now, getting back to live-baiting. If I had my way I would do the following with THOSE WHO DO apply live baiting techniques.

[1] I would suggest that they read the Ten Commandments, "Thou shalt no kill" and all that good stuff, & there's more.

Life really makes me wonder at times, it really does. We all reside in a namby-pamby state & we allow people who should know better to use live fish as bait, something wrong there!!

The practice should be banned with immediate effect, and for those who will insist on being 'naugty boy' serious penalties should apply.

Regards to you all.

DJW

I haven't posted much recently, in fact my passion for angling is waning. The reason? The amount of crap I hear and read from so called 'anglers' like you. How anyone with an opinion like yours can even call themself an angler, baffles me. Your selfrightious, 'holier than thou', type of hypocracy, makes me sick. Further more you use one source of drivel (the Bible), to try and endorse another source of drivel (your opinion). That says it all really.

Over the years I have strived for angling unity, but when I see comments like this, I see I've been wasting my time. There can never be unity among anglers, there are too many short sighted people like you, who don't fully understand the meaning of the word.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

that was quite refreshing gozzer cheers. :clap3:

HERUTILUS you call you're self a christian, or at least hope to be a good one, deplore the method of live baiting but would stick hooks in another human throw him in a shark infested sea and shout how do you like it, how old are you ?

on the subject of live baiting though.

im all for live baiting its just a shame its been banned in Scotland.... but to be honest when will that ever stop anyone.

someone mentioned a few threads back about the difference of a lure and live bait after all lures look like a real fish so whats the problem - or something to that effect.

for starters pike have more going for them than just sight alone and there are just some things that turn a pike on that a lure cannot do, you also have the added benefit a live bait has and that is being natural. have you seen some lures recently they have bio hazard printed ones.

and many sessions up the canal with my mate Dave i have used lures (my preferred method on this stretch of canal) and he had used a live bait he caught from the canal. the results are always noticeable which usually ends up 3-0 to Dave each and every time

as for spread of disease im not so clued up on this to be honest but i have never taken a fish from one water to another for use as a live bait i have always caught my live bait on the water i intend to use it in. it makes the chase even more fun :)

also ive just ate an angry whopper, any suggestions on how to deal with the heart burn and diarrhoea that will inevitably occur due to eating that and reading this thread ?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Greetings,

Regards to you all.

DJW

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Sorry but your Quotes from the Bible are totally inaccurate...hehehe

However by the bible you pathetically and inaccurately referred too is.

QUOTE:

Genesis 1:26-28 (New International Version)

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,

in the image of God he created him;

male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Footnotes:

1. Genesis 1:26 Hebrew; Syriac all the wild animals

END QUOTE:

Information gathered from http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...amp;version=NIV

I am not surprised that you are a junior member we have a lot of ill informed greenies pretending to be anglers, unread, poorly educated greenies appearing on angling sites...sad...very sad

When you quote a reference in the Bible at least have the decency and respect to get any such references right and not twisted to suit a sad minority opinion.

But you have most kindly put your head up and I hope I can help educate you a little.

I respect your greenie beliefs but please do not assume that everyone is moronic and will simply accept twisted truths and snide anti angling comments.

The saddest part is you refuse point blank to respect the majorities views and opinions.

Pray allow me to put things into prospective.

Genealogically man is an omnivore (you will probably have to look that word up).

Some humans are carnivores (easily check-able its to do with having a fast stomach I understand).

Historically man is a hunter gatherer (archaeological and historical evidence).

Human babies and small children cannot grow properly on either a totally vegan or vegetarian diet.

The world is incapable of supporting a totally vegan or vegetarian population (we would have to reduce the population by a great many)...

Of course I assume now we are a coalition governed country we may begin to get some of the numerous rights returned to us, at least that is what Mr. Clegg has promised and he appears to be backed by Mr. Cameron as opposed to the total dictatorial nanny-fied controlling Labour party with its sad political correctness and reduction of personal rights and freedoms for everyone who was not feeding at the politicians free food trough.

Perhaps a government needing our support and claiming to be more peoples freedom orientated will be less likely to respond to minority anti fishing agitators than the previous government who removed more personal rights and freedoms in nine years than the populous of this country lost in the previous nine hundred years.

I have no idea of numbers but I assume with the inclusion of sea anglers the angling lobby could be said to represent in excess of two million voters...that is a lot of people...about one legal angler in every thirty people or over 3% of the whole population or - 3.0303030303030303 of the whole population whereas the greenies represent 0.00909090909090909 of the population

Angling license holders – 1,800,000 – increasing

Sea anglers – no figures available

Which is more than any of our political parties

Conservatives membership 290,000 - increasing

Labour membership 160,000 - decreasing

Liberal Democrats membership 60,000 - decreasing

SNP membership 15,000 - decreasing

BNP membership 15,000 – increasing

UKIP membership 14,000 – decreasing

Greens membership 6,000 – decreasing

Most information gathered from [utl]http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons/lib/research/briefings/snsg-05125.pdf[/url]

Need I say more?

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God