Yet Another Angler Trying To Ban Livebaiting

Elton

The BAA has a long history of being "anti pike/pike fishing". Mainly due to its match fishing driven roots.

How true. I've been approached many times by BAA bailifs who have suggested that if I catch anything, I should "sling it up the bank".

Strangely, they don't thonk that should do that with all the chub and perch I catch.

Oddly, they just can't seem to get the message because much as they might like to destroy all the predators, it's those very predators that attract the majority of winter anglers to BAA waters - just look at the Where to fish section of their website and see how many sections are advertised as holding large pke.

Livebaiting is a perfectly legitimate method although not one that I employ often.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally feel that any sort of admission from anglers that sticking a hook in a fish might be cruel is the top of a very slippery slope and we really dont want to go there.

Mat - very occasional livebaiter (not really into pike)

Mat

I pike / predator fish and use live-baits on rare occasions.

I wouldn't stop anyone from doing so but there is no real need to live-bait in this day and age. With modern lures, in particularly big swimbaits, there is no real difference on what a pike would see. In fact I have seen pike actively hunt out the my swimbait while ignoring a fellow anglers live-bait.

I would say Live baiting is for people who are of a slightly older generation and totally dismissed the use of lures when they first came popular in my opinion.

Lures will catch numbers of pike and pike of all sizes, it just needs the angler to work that little bit harder.

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

I've never used a livebait and have no desire to but to implace a ban on it is wrong, I have experienced bans placed on my way of life by people who have no idea about if you don't like something simply don't do it. We need to be united as anglers I don't differentiate between any of the creatures on this earth if you're willing to stick a hook into a maggot or a worm to catch a fish then why is a small fish any different?.

2eb62xv.jpg

Full respect to this guy who has called for an end to livebaiting. In 2010 livebaiting is an anachronism. As for those live baiters who move their live baits from one water to another, they need to know that they can cause really serious damage to our waters.

I am not a enthusiastic predator angler...in fact I never use either livebait or deadbait.

This article with comments from Monty Finnemore and reference to Birmingham Angling Association is in my opinion a total load of un-thought out c**p and unconsidered b*****ks, put forward by those who should have a little more sense and some consideration for the sport/pastime as a whole.

The Birmingham Angling Association, have for many years been against pike which in my opinion shows a sad lack of understanding of natural balance and biodiversity, I wonder how they will react to influxes of otters, mink, cormorants and migrants.

Let's take the next logical step's for those who want to ban fishing.

1: All unhooking mats must be sterilized and have a certificate of proof of sterilization.

2: All landing nets must be sterilized and have a certificate of proof of sterilization.

3: All keep nets must be sterilized and have a certificate of proof of sterilization.

4: All weighing bags/nets must be sterilized and have a certificate of proof of sterilization.

5: All ground bait must be mixed at venue using new sealed bottled water.

6: No unopened baits can be used on any venue.

7: No loose dead bait allowed all must be in new sealed containers.

8: All unused bait must be placed in venue rubbish unit, for which a small charge is levied and we all know how small charges can suddenly grow into large charges.

9: All bait both hook and ground/particle must be purchased at venue.

10: No braid allowed.

11: No used feeders of any description to be used.

I could go on but whats the point. We are giving openings for that minority who wants to stop all angling.

Perhaps we should all roll over and play dead dog and throw away all our tackle and start knitting.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I have livebaited. It's not something I 'do' regularly (I didn't do any last season). It can be a great method but sometimes it doesn't work. Just like all fishing! My club has a rule: A maximum of 5 fish per day under 6 inches. I abide by these rules.

It's illegal to transfer fish without consent from the EA (Section 30). People who do this (be they livebaiters or not) are breaking the law already.

I love all forms of fishing. I care for every fish I catch and treat them with respect. I understand that livebaiting is not something for everyone and I understand that some people may call me hypocrite. I can live with that. I'm a member of the Angling Trust.

Do some people not understand that antis hate fishing? Full stop. It is ILLEGAL in Switzerland to practice catch and release. EVERY fish has to be killed. Why? Because of fish welfare. Over there it's cruel to catch fish for pleasure. It's cruel to hook them and then release them for your own pleasure. If you play a fish for too long you run the risk of being taken to court for cruelty (I'm not making this up): The lawyer who defends animals

I don't like catching horribly disfigured fish from overstocked filthy puddles but I don't ask for these places to be shut down. I don't ask for a ban on keepnets. Why? Because I don't believe anglers should infringe on the rights and pleasures of other anglers. I really don't care if people like doing the above but I would defend their right to do so.

But I do care when anglers (people who are supposed to support each other) start attacking other anglers because they do things they don't like. I think some people need to start seeing the bigger picture. Angling faces a lot more dangers than a few pikers livebaiting.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I haven't live-baited for pike for many years but I would if I went pike fishing!

I use (fish) live-baits for chub and perch, and when sea fishing.

Banning another branch of the sport is ridiculous and will lead to ever more restrictions. If you don't want to livebait then feel free not to. If you don't want to keep fish for the table then again, feel free not to. If you don't wish to fish at all, feel free not to but please don't stop me from continuing a proven practice because you don't follow it.

Fish eat other live fish. Presenting them with an active bait fish is no more inhumane than presenting them with a dead-bait. After all those dead-baits were killed to make money for someone so you could hurl them out to catch fish. It's hypocritical in my view to slate live-baiting and then use comercial dead-baits!

Back to the moving live-baits from water to water, well, try reading your local (national) rod fishing regulations. It's not allowed. So if people do it then they should expect grief if caught.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I’ve not witnessed many people changing views here when issues are debated. In fact I’m sure it’s far more common, almost obligatory to dig one’s heels and start throwing even heavier ammunition. :)

But I’ve decided to make a public volte face over my earlier statement on supporting a ban livebaiting. :blink:

I haven’t changed my views completely but I have changed them.

Put quite simply I don’t like bans unless there is a good reason for them. Livebaiting should be up to an individual fisherman to decide upon when choosing his tactics. Which doesn’t mean it would be a tactic I’d adopt nor approve of but neither should it be banned.

What I would support was a ban on taking livebaits from one water to use on another.

I have read that roach were introduced to Ireland by pike fishermen using live baits and considered an invasive species by some. Is that true?

I also suspect the Environment Agency is opposed to this practice for very good reasons...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

No 1. Define live baiting? Are not maggots and worms live baits?

No 2. As an angler you obviously accept its ok to stick a hook in a fishes mouth, and accept the odd deep hooked or foul hooked fish that occurs. So what makes it different if the hooks are placed elsewhere an angler desires?

No 3. Transfer of disease. Please give an example where this has been proved to occur? Before any one decides to jump on me I do abide and fully support this rule.

No 4. I wont comment on the action of the BAA. As It would lead to deleted posts and possible legal action.

No 5. The use of live bait is and still will be a lawful method. The use of which should be left to individuals to decide if its used or not.

personaly i dont care what this clown says if your responsable then livebaiting is a worthy method when times are tough i dont livebait much but when i feel the need to its there as a tool.True moving fish from 1 lake to another is for fools and idiots but its not just pike anglers that have done this many a noddy fish and crap for that matter have moved homes due to idiotic anglers.

Edited by essox_lucius