Trotting Line

barbelbarmy

Hi, I have asked this before but I am still struggling. All the lines I use seem to work well for a couple of hours and then become worn. You can detect it becoming worn as you can hear it as it passes through the rings. The distance I can cast soon reduces and then if I dont retackle it will eventually cause a snap to occur. I am worried this will damage the rings of the rods.

However, I have made soom discoveries. Firstly some lines are worse than others, Drennan double strength being the worst, and secondly some rods are worse than others, the greys prodigy float being the worst yet the Hardy the best.

I have come to the conclusion that it occurs due to the method of casting as it is always the stretch from above float to the reel. The cast I use is the Wallis. I think that it is due to holding the business end in the left hand with thunb pulling reel line to make it spin backwards. Further investigation has shown me that with modern eyes when pulling line back from rod tip to butt the line comes out the tip eye through the lining but due to its size and the size of the metal outer than the line actually pulls against the outer metal frame. I have found with the greys that this is so bad that the line is damaged even when tackling up if you pull directly back along the rod length. I'll try to add a photo later if find out how.

What I want to know is how I can modify the cast, is there a line that will take this abuse but also float and cast well, or is there a make of tip eye which has the lining over lap the outer frame.

I'd also like to know if anyone else experiences this, how they have overcome it and if this information has helped them ( it took me some time to find the cause). At the moment I am trying to smooth the metal frame down and add varnish to act as a outer lining. I'll let you know if this helps. Not sure why it seems to be a rod length that gets worn each time, not unless all the eyes cause wear. Don't think its old eyes, the greys has only been used twice.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried a number of different line types for trotting, including 4lb braid and Flo-cast (which I quickly grew to hate through its tendency to curl, come apart and its awful knot strength), but I always seem to come back to Fox Soft Steel.

Maybe it's because I'm used to working with it, and can predict so well how it behaves and feels, but it's never really let me down and does the job well, and I feel very comfortable trotting with it in a variety of situations and conditions.

I tend to go for a higher strength mainline (ie usually 6lb, or maybe 4lb) than I really need but which gives my greater confidence, and just select a lower diameter hooklength for species and conditions being fished.

That way I'm still confident in my mainline after having pulled out of a snag etc, or dealt with an unexpectedly large fish (ie nuisance pike!) without usually needing to respool new line if I feel that I've punished a lesser breaking strain line a bit too much, and today might just be the day when I will subsequently do battle with a fish of a lifetime.

I use the two-loops style of casting myself, so can't really comment on the problems that you seem to be having.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

No ideas here Barbelarmy, the rods I use are fitted with fly rings on the tip section but I've also got a Drennan float rod with 'normal' rings and they don't seem to wear out line. Changing line won't solve the problem if you're sure it's wearing out, perhaps one of the rings is damaged but then if it happens (to a greater or lesser extent) on your other rods it's unlikely. I doubt Wallis casting would cause it either.

Baffling but FWIW I use 6lb Fireline Crystal braid for trotting, it's noisier than mono but it suits me because I can see it easily, fish can't apparently.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I don't know how your casting/ managing to have the line drag over the stems of the tip eye. Try pointing your rod tip in the same direction as your casting while the line in going through the eyes.

I know I always harp on about sensor but it's my prefered line for trotting. I only use it for one session then remove it and spool up literally just before I set out for another session as freshly spooled line always comes off the spool much better and you don't get those sticking points along the first few trotts like you do when the line has been left on from a previous session. It's so cheap I can affored to do this and it makes a world of difference fishing with freshly spooled line on every outing. Even re spooling every session a spool of 6lb sensor will last me a season or more and at £7 that's ok with me.

I've come to use 8lb fireline for trotting and really like it. It floats very well and I can control the float better than with mono. However, if your tip rings are wearing the line out, braid is probably not a great idea. I've never heard of that problem before by the way, are you sure one of your eyes isn't damaged? It would be interesting to see a photo.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The subject of trotting line has indeed been covered before and I still use the 2 main products reccommended which are trilene XL and Fireline crystal both of which work well on the pin but the fireline is not much cop on the closed face. However I recently began trotting heavier lines for barbel with huge baits and had a similar experience to yours and have now traced it to the reel. The reel is that cheap shadowlanda which is great value for money and just what you want for a quick retrieve but the finish needs a bit of fettling especially where the spool joining pins are rivetted into the side plates of the spool. Thin line such as the floating braid I chose to use tries to go behind the shoulder of the pin and just catches it. This is enough to slightly weaken the line whereas my Trudex pin is a solid drum and has no issues. Not saying this is the problem you have but check it out

I use Fireline Crystal too, but in 4lb, 6lb or 8lb. I tend to use 6lb most of the time, and 8lb where barbel are expected, with a 6lb+ bottom. Judging by the reaction I have witnessed, when fishing for barbel and chub in shallow clear water, I don't necessarily agree that fish can't see it, but it does enable very good trotting. Low stretch etc. Mind you, it takes a bit of getting used to. I've heard of braid causing grooves, but I've not experienced it yet after three years of use on any of my rods.

I also use Flo-cast in 6lb, and have occasionally used 4lb for dace, grayling and it is very good. I have experienced curling, but generally dispose of the curly bit at the end or part way through the session. Weak knot strength is overcome by using palomar knots. Sliding shot on it c rushes it, and I assumr this weakens it considerably, but if youav re aware of this and compesnate by re-rigging occasionally it's not too bad.

At the cheaper end of the market, Daiwa Sensor is a very good all round trotting line. I've noted Tiggers comments about spooling and disposal - I think thats a good idea if you use this stuff.

I couldn't quite picture the problem you are reporting, but I have a Greys Prodigy float 13/15ft and I've never experienced problems with line and eyes. I've had chub to 5lb on it while trotting with the pin, so it's not weakened the line noticeably. The eyes are rather fragile, but only in terms of being easily bent. I've not had one fail, crack, or fail to be a useful eye.

However, I can't actually remember what the tip eye looks like on my Greys Prodigy, and it's currently 40 miles away at home. Mind you, I don't pay that much attention to my tip ring, other than making sure it's OK when my line goes through it and stays like that until I tackle down. I know the Prodigy has got single legs beyong the first one or two, but I'm not sure about the tip. The single leg eyes occasionally catch lighter line as they are quite long, and that can cause the line to go round the back of the eye. Maybe that's the problem?

One other question - do you have a line guard on your centrepin?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I've used Fireline (and since it came out about 4 years ago FL Crystal) for over 10 years on my Harrison - certainly not had a problem with the rings getting damaged by the line - and I do a LOT of trotting! :rolleyes:

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

is your tip eye bent ! ,i don't think the line is at fault its either the quality of the rod ,or something too do with the way your casting .

I have come to the conclusion that it occurs due to the method of casting as it is always the stretch from above float to the reel. The cast I use is the Wallis. I think that it is due to holding the business end in the left hand with thunb pulling reel line to make it spin backwards. Further investigation has shown me that with modern eyes when pulling line back from rod tip to butt the line comes out the tip eye through the lining but due to its size and the size of the metal outer than the line actually pulls against the outer metal frame. I have found with the greys that this is so bad that the line is damaged even when tackling up if you pull directly back along the rod length. I'll try to add a photo later if find out how.

are the eye's of the rod stand off type's or close too types ! and are they of small inner dia' !

is your line comming off the top of the reel or the bottom ! as i don't understand why your spool is spinning backwards ! (i'm probably not grasping what your describing here)

when i wally cast my line between tip and hand doesn't move its held in place ,i only draw line from the spool ! and once released the hooklength swings out a few degree's then shoots forwards in a ark as the rod tip swings around and the line pulls through the rings hardly touching them ,most contact is with the butt and tip eyes but still limited.

as said braid can grate as it flies through the rings (mostly butt and tip ring) which takes getting used too ,but does no harm .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve