Britain's largest carp dies

tiddlertamer

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you, after reading through a few threads on various carp catching forums, I had tears rolling down my face!

;-)

Tears of grief or laughter? :)

Can I add that I find it sad that Two Tone died.

But some of the comments on other sites, and all the talk of funerals, do seem a touch over the top...

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I first caught Two Tone at 28lbs! long before she was called such! In a way she was responsible for me ending my obsession with carp fishing.My travels and captures abroad just confirming it.

I had spent the best part of the season targeting the carp in the Brook,spending far more time walking round and spotting than I did with a bait in the water.Found a small group of fish feeding close in in the first swim by the gravel works (we had to park there in the early days), Just over an hour after casting I had her on casters.Ian Brown (who later had the first ever Kent 40 from there) came round to congratulate me. After all the effort I was kind of left a bit non plussed.Considering how small a head of carp are in the water it was an achievement I suppose but to me the reward no longer justified the effort.I had simply caught a fish by being stubborn and putting thousands of hours in...not by using any great skill.It was the start of my falling out of love with carping.

I had only decided to go back to it after my recent conversion to catfish as I realised that the venue would soon become very popular (the only right decision I ever made about the place considering I had a few years previously before MKF aquired it turned down the offer to run it!) and not my kind of water. Trouble was I had lost the carp "fever" possibly having burned myself out with OTT hours spent carping (?).Glad I did though as soon after Ian's 40 every man and his dog were down and the magic gone.

At least she was a true English fish from good stock and brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of her captors regardless of what people think of the modern scene.

Did the rig she was meant to have been trailing prior to her death cause it or was it simply just old age? we wont ever know I suppose but kind of a poor reflection on the "pinnacle" of modern carping that people fishing such a water are not only using "unsafe" rigs bit loosing them in the first place!

So who/where is the next contender for the crown? I would love to hope its going to be an "unknown" fish but thats a bit unlikely! It would also be kind of nice and bring (maybe?) a bit of credibility back to the record and the old girl if it the record wasnt broken for a while.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Considering how small a head of carp are in the water it was an achievement I suppose but to me the reward no longer justified the effort.I had simply caught a fish by being stubborn and putting thousands of hours in...not by using any great skill.It was the start of my falling out of love with carping.

Whereas bream fishing is completely different :P:D

I really wish I'd been around at the very start of carping. I don't think anything will ever match that. I was talking to Alex a few weeks ago (while blanking for Severn zander) and he said he gave it up as soon as he saw the first packets of boilies in a tackle shop. Previous to that him and his mates had been driving all over the country, tracking down every little pond that Leney might have visited, and putting loads of hours and effort into fishing lakes where there was just a rumour that there might be a carp in there. Sounds impossibly exciting.

Nice that you once held the british record fish Budgie :)

I hope it stays the record for quite a long time.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Did the rig she was meant to have been trailing prior to her death cause it or was it simply just old age? we wont ever know I suppose but kind of a poor reflection on the "pinnacle" of modern carping that people fishing such a water are not only using "unsafe" rigs bit loosing them in the first place!

According to Chris Logsdon on the MKF forum, there was no trailing rig Budgie. No marks or ulcers, just a case of old age catching up with it.

The out pouring of grief, the eulogies and poems, don't seem as bad with this as they did with Heather or Benson, (but it's early days, and only just reached the papers). I have trouble with it being a triploid, and it having no other purpose than to grow and be caught. Although MKF and conningbrook, appear to be better than many other waters, the artificialness of it all seems wrong to me.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Membership of £350 a year is still exessive in my view

Yeah...in my view also !

I'm am member of a club with 260+ waters including some of the best rivers and still waters in the country and the annual fee is £90.