What lb line for float fishing for perch with lobworms

tiddlertamer

Good point. I have in fact bought some pre tied hook lengths but struggled on the river bank when attaching to the main line.

I believe the following two methods are popular.

The first method is to tie a loop knot in the main line and then feed the hook length loop over the main line loop and then feeding the hook back through the main line loop before pulling tight. I struggled with this technique on the bank as my loop knots on the main line were a bit ham fisted. :rolleyes:

The second method is the water knot. This looks simpler on paper as it just entails one manouver with both lines.

Which is most effective?

See:

http://www.pleasurefishing.com/html/knots.htm

Never used the water knot so can't comment. I usually use the loop to loop method or a small swivel on rivers, still attached via a loop though. Avoid the overhand loop though, figure of eight loop is a safer knot.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of advice there TT, about all I can add is that when fishing to structures try to make sure that your float is right next to it, touching isn't too close. I've caught decent perch from the sides of weirpools, lock cuts and even old bridge supports just by lowering a lob down next to the structure.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yes, I do. See this article of mine that discusses this for various species including perch: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...s_for_chub.html .

And it's not off-topic at all. I'm sure it applies to river perch, and chub for that matter as well.

Indeed, one of my idols, Fred J. Taylor, relates in early editions of "Angling in Earnest" that he found that there were two different types of perch in the Upper Great Ouse in the 50s. They had different shapes, and more importantly different habits.

However, I still believe the key point is maximum food intake for minimum energy expended, and competition with other perch plays a part here. Perch hunt in different ways and I discuss this in this article: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...erch_guide.html .

Having said that, there are times when numbers of perch on small rivers do often follow the fry shoals. One of them is onto the shallows at dawn and sometimes dusk as well, especially in summer. Light intensity again?

Importantly though, I've found my local perch also move around from swim to swim when they're feeding on invertebrates rather than fish, and this is the point I was trying to make.

Of course some swims will hold these roving perch longer than others. Some swims hold them only in certain conditions. But in my local rivers you couldn't guarantee where in given conditions they'd be. But you could predict with some confidence that they'd be in one of half a dozen swims.

The problem was which one!

I certainly agree with the reference to 2 distinct types of Perch although I cannot comment on their feeding patterns. I would also like to say that I have noticed during the last two seasons larger Perch in shoals say Perch in the 1.5lb to 3lb mark, which is something I had never experienced before, although in fairness I have seldom targeted Perch.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

In my experience, big hooks do not put off big perch. For lobs I use a size 6 wide gape, in a light wire pattern. Smaller hooks will just mean masked hook points and missed bites; there's no point in using a big bait with a small hook.

Thanks for that, I genuinely hadn't thought of using finer wire for the hook. Stupid! I complained that I got less bites as felt the hook was too heavy and also complained that the smaller hook masked the worm - but didn't think if finer wire and short shank msyelf. DOH!

Any suggestions for hooks in fine(er) wire that are suitable? I've been using forged - hence the use of smaller hooks.

I've also witnessed perch chasing fry on the shallows in bright sun, at 5am in July, while fly fishing for trout in the Kennet. I stopped to watch them. In very fast water too, they were bow waving through the shallows and swimming into the reeds, scattering minnows everywhere - then veering out into the deeper water, but even then it was probabably only around 18 inches deep. I assumed (until now) it was a one off.

Thanks one and all - this is a great thread.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I do agree with Arbocop about hooklengths though. It seems silly not to use one, because you will get snagged at some point, plus the swivel really does reduce line twist. Strength of hooklength will be determined by what mainline you use, how pressured the perch are, and how snaggy the river is.

For what it's worth, my usual big perch set-up is a 12ft 1.25lb tc avon rod, 6lb mainline, 6lb double strength hooklength (joined by a small swivel), size 6 wide gape barbed hook, top-and-bottom float taking plenty of shot. The shot can be moved around so that you can trot or present the bait hard on the bottom without the flow pulling it around. Most of my big perch have come to static lobs.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. My current perch personal best is only 1lb 1oz though I did lose one almost twice that weight at the net once whilst trotting on the Hampshire Avon. :headhurt:

There does appear to be a groundswell of opinion in favour of using a hook length.

I feel tempted to follow this advice. But I do have a few questions.

Doesn't it make more sense to have a lighter hook length than main line. Anderoo - does your 6lb mainline actually have more strength than the 6lb double strength hooklength? :unsure:

And is the loop to loop knot solution or water knot solution most effective in joining a hook length to the main line? Or should I just use a swivel and any old knot? Maybe not a granny knot though. :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I fear we might be getting a bit tied down with all this No? If I was trotting for Perch with Lobs I would certainly trot 'straight through' with a mainline of about 4lbs, and a size 8 or 10 barbed hook would do me fine. I would be using a match rod type, that would ensure I could land the fish without snapping the line and also ensure I can enjoy the fishing. I dont see any need in using hooklengths and therefore swivels.

I can't remember the last time I lost a fish due to broken line, let alone Perch, Perch are not hard fighting fish like Carp or Barbel, so being 'smashed' by a Perch would / should be a rarity.

Perch are not 'shy' after all they are Predators, now if it was Roach I was trotting for then well that's a different ball game altogether.

I think it all depends on where you fish to be honest, and a bit of personal preference. The main reason I use a hooklength is because when (not if!) I get snagged up on tree branches etc., I don't want to lose the float. But at other places I have fished straight through.

With the rod, I think I said in a previous post that I once tried using my match rod for the big perch, and it cost me a fish (a very good fish :( ) because I couldn't stop it getting in the reeds. So I now use the avon. Without knowing where TT intends to fish it'll be hard to make any decent recommendations on tackle really!

I would disagree with your last point though, big perch can be very shy. When they're fished for they soon wise up and can become very tricky indeed.

Two hard frosts in a row now, and no extra water in the rivers, it looks like I'll be skipping perch and going straight into the chubbing again this year!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Any suggestions for hooks in fine(er) wire that are suitable? I've been using forged - hence the use of smaller hooks.

As I mentioned my favourite pattern (Ashima Super Maggot) has long been discontinued and I bought up all the few size 6 when Ashima closed down. I added that what are sold on the continent as Zander hooks will probably be perfect. They're usually fine wire, short shank, wide gape and with a very small barb. All the ones I've seen have been spade end though.

I've used Sumo pattern 6553 in sizes 4 & 2 and these were excellent, being very similar to the Ashimas. I suspect that a size 6 is available. However I can't find anything on a quick Google search.

Perhaps one of our German members can help. Derek?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I think it all depends on where you fish to be honest, and a bit of personal preference. The main reason I use a hooklength is because when (not if!) I get snagged up on tree branches etc., I don't want to lose the float. But at other places I have fished straight through.

With the rod, I think I said in a previous post that I once tried using my match rod for the big perch, and it cost me a fish (a very good fish :( ) because I couldn't stop it getting in the reeds. So I now use the avon. Without knowing where TT intends to fish it'll be hard to make any decent recommendations on tackle really!

Thanks again everybody for their advice.

Vis a vis where I am fishing, it will be on Thames tributaries including the Lee, Mole and Wandle. Probably on quite upstream stretches of the Lee where it is quite narrow. Probably not the Thames itself which I have fished around the Windsor area but found it to be a real challenge. In summer whilst fishing on maggot I got completely swamped by bleak - I've never come across so many bleak! :wallbash:

I'm sure it's no secret to post online that the Thames is probably the best place to get a really large perch at the moment but there is something about the intimacies of a smaller river which presents different challenges and which I find more appealing. That being said, some real monsters have come out of the Thames this autumn...

Vis a vis hook lengths vs fishing straight through, I always thought one of the main reasons for fishing a hook length was if you got snagged you wouldn't lose your terminal tackle. Anderoo - fishing 6lb double strength as your hook length and another type of 6lb line as your main line surely negates this? :unsure:

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)